CBS: Harbaugh plans to take Michigan to Brazil or South Africa

Here's another recruiting process that should be curtailed. Alabama and other SEC schools works extremely hard at getting key personnel to graduate early. They then use that early graduate to help their bowl bound team in practice. For example they (Alabama) recruited a QB- just graduated - to imitate the Clemson QB to run the scout team in bowl preparation BEFORE attending 1class. (No school over Christmasbreak). Apparently they didn't have a previous QB recruited who was nimble of foot/ run the option/throw on the run etc.. they are part of the team but NCAA wouldn't allow them to play or travel. Wonder who is liable in case of injury? Maybe the Gophers should check with Vikings to see if anyone on their practice squad is available during the season to imitate an upcoming opponent. Makes as much sense.

Unfair things:

1. My neighbor's house is bigger than mine
2. I'm not taller
3. Some stadiums have more capacity than TCF
4. I didn't win the lottery last week
5. Michigan goes overseas

I can't control any of this. Why stress out about it?

You could buy a bigger house and buy more lottery tickets!

Nothing wrong with this at all. If you have the resources available why not take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with this at all. If you have the resources available why not take advantage of it.

So the rich get richer, and the poor fall further behind. If the NCAA is going to allow something like this, I would put a limitation on it - for instance, 1 foreign trip in a 4-year-period.

Realistically, this might make the difference in 1 kid committing to school A instead of school B. But if you're school B, it still stinks that you lost out on a recruit because school A had fat cats willing to foot the bill for a junket. Of course, if the fat cat gives that kid the money directly, that's a violation. But if the fat cat coughs up the scratch for a fancy trip, that's just fine. Ah, the wonderful world of D1 sports.

You could buy a bigger house and buy more lottery tickets!

My master plan is to buy a bigger house with my lottery winnings. You can't win if you don't play!

Of course, if the fat cat gives that kid the money directly, that's a violation. But if the fat cat coughs up the scratch for a fancy trip, that's just fine.

Do you think there's any difference between your employer paying your expenses (for example, paying for your airline ticket to travel to a conference) and them just handing you a check for that amount?

Do you think there's any difference between your employer paying your expenses (for example, paying for your airline ticket to travel to a conference) and them just handing you a check for that amount?

In terms of taxes. Otherwise there is no difference. Travel/conference reimbursement is a form of compensation found in employment agreements.

I'm not sure why there are such aggressive opinions on this. I suspect it is colored by ones opinion of the NCAA regulations in general.

The NCAA is reactive. Foreign trips are new in football. There are no rules because they weren't needed. Now that Michigan has gotten the ball rolling, there will be new rules and limitations on foreign trips.

So the rich get richer, and the poor fall further behind. If the NCAA is going to allow something like this, I would put a limitation on it - for instance, 1 foreign trip in a 4-year-period.

Realistically, this might make the difference in 1 kid committing to school A instead of school B. But if you're school B, it still stinks that you lost out on a recruit because school A had fat cats willing to foot the bill for a junket. Of course, if the fat cat gives that kid the money directly, that's a violation. But if the fat cat coughs up the scratch for a fancy trip, that's just fine. Ah, the wonderful world of D1 sports.

Yes the rich get richer. So what. Michigan has deep pockets.

And if school B loses a recruit to school A because of it that's the way to goes. Plenty of schools already have an advantage in recruiting.

Right, so there is a difference. Thanks for the reinforcement.

It's a form of compensation.

If a school buys their players luxury cars that's ok, but if they give the players money and they turn around and buy cars that's not ok? Do these trips need to be educational? Cabo San Lucas?

I get it, the damn NCAA and all its dumb rules holding the man down. But, the playing field is already significantly stacked. If compensation rules are softened or eliminated any semblance of a fair fight is eliminated as the arms race becomes absurd. It's a matter of degree but this all goes back to the paying players controversy.

Currently this is legal, we will see if something changes.

Top Bottom