CBS' Dennis Dodd: Football recruiting is becoming more childlike with each passing yr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

JC Shurburtt got a call the other day. The parents of a 5-foot-9, 166-pound middle-school offensive lineman wanted to let 247Sports' national recruiting director know about their son.

"We'd like to put him in the database," they communicated to Shurburtt, "because we don't think he's getting enough exposure."

At that point, this recent trend of players committing right out of the womb may have found its limit. Shurburtt finally cracked the day he got a tweet about another pre-adolescent flying under the recruiting radar.

"There is no radar," at that age, CBSSports.com's top recruiting guru told me this week. "I don't even respond to half these people.

"These stories of younger kids committing are more like viral-type articles. If college football coaches are smart and players and parents are smart we're not going to see this become an epidemic."

Forget the vaccine because we're already there, aren't we? Six years ago Tyrone Willingham made headlines by offering his first freshman at Washington. One of the top quarterbacks in the Class of 2015 got a scholarship offer from Fresno State when he was 15. A 14-year old quarterback from Somerset, Texas, committed to LSU this week.

And he may have been late. Les Miles' program reportedly became the only one in the country to have commitments for each of the next four recruiting classes through 2018.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ecoming-more-childlike-with-each-passing-year

Go Gophers!!

Disgusting

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

Just another reason why I don't follow recruiting except for good and valid info we receive right here on GopherHole.

Yes, childlike. But childish things have been happening for years. In 1984 as South Carolina was in Jacksonville,FL preparing for the Gator Bowl head coach Joe Morrison flew to Greensboro, NC on Christmas Eve, donned a Santa outfit and knocked on the door of the home of QB recruit Todd Ellis to wish him a Merry Christmas. Ellis became a Gamecock and had an OK career.

This isn't 1960. If a kid is good enough as a junior and senior, he'll get noticed. Just let the kids play.

Top Bottom