CBS CFB Coaches "Hot Seat" ratings

A new prez and a new AD wanting "their own guy"? We just got these guys - so I don't look for this to happen any time soon. Kaler signed off on the 7 years and he's not changing his mind soon unless something catastrophic happens on or off the field - and I don't see either happening with Kill.

The 7 vs. 5 years "agreed to" isn't very relevant. I think the risk Jerry Kill has is if the team wins only 3-4 games and his medical problems cause him to miss significant time again (defining "significant time" as suddenly missing the majority of a week during the season), as he has in 4 of the past 7 football seasons.

Hopefully they go bowling after an 8-4 season and Jerry is doing backflips up & down the field...

It looks like any 2nd year coach who was below .500 was given around a 3, we know that Kill's seat is cooler being closer to the program. Good list though.

If Jerry Kill has the exact same year he did in 2011, I think his seat gets extremely hot in year three. He gets a pass for a lot of stuff last year, but if this team loses three non-conferences games again and then gets blown out by Purdue and Michigan, along with the other losses again, people are going to have a lot of questions. I don't think that will necessarily happen, but just theorizing that his seat could get warm if things don't continue to improve.

Also, as Feldman writes, Chip Kelly should not have a 3.0, while Mack Brown should be a bit higher than 2.5.

I still think Ron Zook should be on this list.

In Florida you have 2 years.

If Muschamp doesn't win some quality games he is gone.

I am a little surpised with Dabo out of Clemson. He is on the bubble but he did great last year (exceeded expectations).

I went to 4 Clemson games and they won every one except the Orange Bowl where they got crushed.

Kevin Steele is horrible, I am glad he is gone.

If Jerry Kill has the exact same year he did in 2011, I think his seat gets extremely hot in year three. He gets a pass for a lot of stuff last year, but if this team loses three non-conferences games again and then gets blown out by Purdue and Michigan, along with the other losses again, people are going to have a lot of questions. I don't think that will necessarily happen, but just theorizing that his seat could get warm if things don't continue to improve.

Also, as Feldman writes, Chip Kelly should not have a 3.0, while Mack Brown should be a bit higher than 2.5.

I agree with most of this post, especially about Mack Brown. As for Kill, the Gophers would have to go backwards (fewer than 2 conference wins, another bad non-conference loss or two) for their to be the slightest chance he is dismissed, unless his health issues pop up again. The big issue, like emann mentioned is that year 3 the seat becomes scorching hot if we see a repeat of 2011.

This. I'm behind Kill all the way, but if we go 1-3 in the nonconference schedule, not so much. No more blowout losses to Purdue either.

I'm worried about the non conference games because I think this staff will be stubborn about the run with a still young offensive line and unproven backs. I think MG may lead them in rushing again.

Bielema, Hoke, Dantonio, Meyer, and Fitz all would appear to have more security.

I disagree. I think there is the same chance any of them will be fired after this season - 0.0%.

If we're going to pop off the hypothetical "if we go 2-10 this year, his seat will be hot", well then yeah, of course it will warm up. ANY coach in America who proceeds to go 2-10 in their season will have a pretty warm seat if they've been there more than a year or two. Kill isn't immune to this. But we're talking going INTO the season. Not "if he fails in Year 2, what will his seat be". As of this moment, going into this season, Kill's seat is quite comfy, as in, no more than a "1" comfy.

That can change depending on how the season goes, but guess what, if Brady Hoke goes 5-7 next season, I'm guessing his seat will be quite toasty, people will forget the previous year pretty quickly. Some leashes are longer than others, but he will feel the heat, that's for sure.

I disagree. I think there is the same chance any of them will be fired after this season - 0.0%.

Wrong. If any of these coaches wins 1 game this season and their program is in complete disarray, there is a chance they will be fired at the end of the year.

I think in some of the cases, Coach Kill included, the guy looked at the records from last year and maybe how long they have been there and then decided from there.

I think in some of the cases, Coach Kill included, the guy looked at the records from last year and maybe how long they have been there and then decided from there.

Yup. In other words, he just made it up as he went along and straight winged it.

Kill continues to grow on me. I like his recruiting style. His players recruited have enough smarts to get into school on their merit. The recruits can speak in sentences. They seem to have academic as well as football ambitions. And, it looks like they keep out of trouble, for the most part. I think we are on the cusp of great things with this team.

I especially enjoy the fact that he gets out into the community. He is the face of Gopher sports right now.

Yup. In other words, he just made it up as he went along and straight winged it.

Given some of the grades, I think that does have some validity. It seems pretty clear he was not familiar with everything that was happening in MN. Along with that a few of the other grades seemed out of sync as well.

Besides that, his honestly going into a serious eval of every college HC seems a little far fetched to me.

Top Bottom