CBS: Big Ten stadium rankings (10. Minnesota - Huntington Bank Stadium)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tom:

10. Minnesota - Huntington Bank Stadium​

It's the second-smallest stadium in the league, only bigger than Northwestern's old and soon-to-be-constructed new stadium, but it's also the newest stadium in the league. I understand why some fans don't like it much, but I find the place charming and comfortable. Of course, I haven't been there when it's extremely cold, and the way the stadium is constructed, the wind chill could be a serious problem at times.

Go Gophers!!

Pretty much what I'd expect. Stadiums in front in the rankings are either Blue Bloods, have had a lot of recent success, or have managed to become known for its home field advantage (Iowa's ability to pull off upsets at theirs). That is really reflected in the paragraph about Minnesota's.

Per Tom:

10. Minnesota - Huntington Bank Stadium​

It's the second-smallest stadium in the league, only bigger than Northwestern's old and soon-to-be-constructed new stadium, but it's also the newest stadium in the league. I understand why some fans don't like it much, but I find the place charming and comfortable. Of course, I haven't been there when it's extremely cold, and the way the stadium is constructed, the wind chill could be a serious problem at times.

Go Gophers!!
Negatives: It's small, it can get cold, and for some unstated reason, some fans don't like it. There's nothing really tangible with those reasons, but they have to come up with something to put it behind the Blue Bloods or teams that have done really well in recent years, such as Oregon which also has about 54,000 seats.

I'd actually like to see a ranking that incorporates team success which translates to fan atmosphere, as well as amenities, sight-lines, aesthetic, seat comfort, etc.

More than fair considering 1-9, except for Wisconsin. Maybe over-weighting Jump Around, or campus atmosphere but that’s a different discussion. More drunk Sconnie fans isn’t a positive, Tom.

More than fair considering 1-9, except for Wisconsin. Maybe over-weighting Jump Around, or campus atmosphere but that’s a different discussion. More drunk Sconnie fans isn’t a positive, Tom.

Yep. I'm jealous of Bucky's success and much larger fan base but Camp Randall is a dump. There's probably 30k decent sightline seats out of 75k in that stadium.

I just think back to the atmosphere at the PSU 2019 game. If we could have some sustained success I'm sure our stadium would rise a few spots on lists like these.

We are blessed to have a ton of great venues in town (Huntington, US Bank, Target Field, Allianz, Xcel). Target Center is a dump though.

I just think back to the atmosphere at the PSU 2019 game. If we could have some sustained success I'm sure our stadium would rise a few spots on lists like these.

We are blessed to have a ton of great venues in town (Huntington, US Bank, Target Field, Allianz, Xcel). Target Center is a dump though.
Covid absolutely ripped our momentum, we were set to have a solid 2020. And the covid season results are a total outlier for how that season could've turned out if it were a regular season. The Floyd deal also sucked a lot of wind out of the sails because PJ used much of that offseason teambuilding, which is the what he should have done regardless considering the circumstances and proximity of that event. Just my two cents.

Some fans don’t like it much? Where does that comment come from? Nebraska’s stadium is interesting but really is remuddled mess with many seats in the end zone. Kinnick is not particularly interesting or comfortable. For the U of MN, they got the stadium right.

One really great thing about The Bank is ease of air travel. It’s the easiest trip in the conference that I’m aware of. Don’t even need to rent a car.

One really great thing about The Bank is ease of air travel. It’s the easiest trip in the conference that I’m aware of. Don’t even need to rent a car.
By far the most convenient to a major hub airport by distance and public transit, even considering the new members.

A couple things about Autzen that aren't mentioned often. First the field is non-traditional in that the field runs East West rather than the standard North South. Second, the front row of seats is about 6 feet above the playing surface and the front row is close to the field and the opponents bench. So when you are standing in the front row you are looking down on the opponents sideline and you're maybe 8-10 feet away. Below is an old Autzen pic before expansion and mods. You can see how the field sits below the fans quite a bit.

Attachments

• Old Autzen pic..jpg
    Old Autzen pic..jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

I'm too lazy/busy to read the original article so I don't know what criteria are considered but it isn't surprising that more successful programs with larger capacity (and attendance) are ranked higher. TCF is a nice stadium and it's new, so it doesn't have quirks. Sometimes those quirks add to the atmosphere. The size of TCF is right. It probably could have been 40 or 45k if we're being honest. I follow some mid-major/fcs athletic programs and one of the hated rivals built the basketball version of TCF. Modern if not slightly generic. But way oversized. Its empty for nearly all games and maybe half full for the big rivalry.

I'm too lazy/busy to read the original article so I don't know what criteria are considered but it isn't surprising that more successful programs with larger capacity (and attendance) are ranked higher. TCF is a nice stadium and it's new, so it doesn't have quirks. Sometimes those quirks add to the atmosphere. The size of TCF is right. It probably could have been 40 or 45k if we're being honest. I follow some mid-major/fcs athletic programs and one of the hated rivals built the basketball version of TCF. Modern if not slightly generic. But way oversized. Its empty for nearly all games and maybe half full for the big rivalry.
Average attendance last year was like 48000 why would 40k be good?

Penn St at #1 is a stretch. Was there for the Whiteout. Was it cool? Yes. Other than that, and its size, the place is borderline a dump. Most have to park in what are fields that are a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. We got there early for the alumni event and still parked that far away. Getting in and out to park was crazy slow.

Penn St at #1 is a stretch. Was there for the Whiteout. Was it cool? Yes. Other than that, and its size, the place is borderline a dump. Most have to park in what are fields that are a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. We got there early for the alumni event and still parked that far away. Getting in and out to park was crazy slow.
Isn't it also really hard to get to the campus? Fly then drive a while?

Yes, on what is essentially a divided four lane state road from Pittsburgh where we stayed. 2+ hours from any major airport. Tons of cross roads and the occasional stop light. Great that we got to experience the event, but it would need to be a huge game for the Gophs for me to even think of doing that trip again.

That was a point some coaches noted when the discussions about having Maryland and Rutgers enter the conference were ongoing. When distance (and perhaps the eastern character) of those schools were brought up in opposition, some coaches said that they would rather fly into Newark and take a short trip to Rutgers or fly into Washington and take a short trip to College Park, Maryland than travel to State College, PA.

Last edited:

My second favorite stadium behind Neyland stadium. I love the bank. Hopefully will get up there for a game

Yes, on what is essentially a divided four lane state road from Pittsburgh where we stayed. 2+ hours from any major airport. Tons of cross roads and the occasional stop light. Great that we got to experience the event, but it would need to be a huge game for the Gophs for me to even think of doing that trip again.

Yeah, definitely out of the way. If you liked that then you’re going to love getting to the Rose Bowl from LAX, then. Bolded pretty much what anyone says after driving in LA.

Speaking of which, the Coliseum literally has the look and feel of a reinforced concrete WW2 Nazi Fuhrerbunker. It would be a wonderful place to sit out an air raid ( a real one). Most of the seats are terrible and the slope of the bowl make the field look like a distant postage stamp. That said, it has an aura. The Bank OTOH has mostly great seats.

I don’t know what the criteria are. Subjective.

Last edited:

Yeah, definitely out of the way. If you liked that then you’re going to love getting to the Rose Bowl from LAX, then. Bolded pretty much what anyone says after driving in LA.

Speaking of which, the Coliseum literally has the look and feel of a reinforced concrete WW2 Nazi Fuhrerbunker. It would be a wonderful place to sit out an air raid ( a real one). Most of the seats are terrible and the slope of the bowl make the field look like a distant postage stamp. That said, it has an aura. The Bank OTOH has mostly great seats.

I've driven in LA many times and actually don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I'd rather drive in LA than Chicago.

I've driven in LA many times and actually don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I'd rather drive in LA than Chicago.

I’d argue they’re pretty similar. Day, time, fortune key factors. No accidents. Horrible, irresponsible drivers, CHiPs standing down on traffic laws = white knuckle drives. Mpls has a huge quality of life edge on pretty much all those counts. Shorter gridlock hours in general, better and less reckless drivers or at least used to be that way.

In a list of 18, that's not so bad I suppose.

I've never been to any other college football stadium besides ours. But it looks like I'll get to correct that this September when I find myself in Columbus for their Marshall game. May just go to check out the atmosphere.

While ranking on "atmosphere" is rather vague, one aspect of a stadium that I value as much as any is comfort level of my seat. Maybe I am getting old, but my ability to sit in my own seat without being crowded or elbowed out certainly adds to my enjoyment. I have attended games at both Michigan and Ohio stadiums where the amount of "bench space" for your seat is 17" and 18" respectively - the average male has a shoulder width of 21-22," not to mention what the average "butt-size" must be. Went to the OSU game last year and the guy next to me must of taken up over 2 seats of bench space (and he wasn't the only one). He knew the drill, got there early and never moved. My buddy and I were left with about a foot of bench space for the two of us. Talked to the ushers - they just shrugged their shoulders. Standing the entire game (much of it in the aisle) during a 37-3 beatdown from the Buckeyes was about as miserable experience at a football game that I have experienced.

Agreed very subjective. Yes, having covered California at a previous job, I've enjoyed the drive from LAX to Santa Fe Springs on "the" 105. Absolute gridlock at times with motorcycles zigzagging through the stopped traffic.

Top Bottom