CBJ to be targeted by UCONN???!!!!

Oh look.....another thread dedicated to arguing about Ben Johnson as the coach. Guess Christmas came early this year...... :rolleyes:
Those that constantly take cheap shots and spend 90-100% ripping everyone has mostly destroyed any integrity that some well thought out contributors have shared on Gopherhole.

Oh now suddenly it's about what you inherit?? Coach Johnson inherited a completely empty roster.

Holtz was 3-6 and 4-4 in the B1G at Minnesota. And ran out of town for paying for recruits.

My point is that it's RIDICULOUS for you guys to put the blame on Ben. And RIDICULOUS how you guys say that won-loss record determines who's a genius and who's a bum.
Lol

Holtz was building something, you say?

Most guys on here say Ben's record already proves he's a failure.
The data says he was building something here; the article by a third party says he was building something here; people who have been involved in Gopher Athletics says he was building something here; 50k+ season ticket holders says he was building something here. Comparing CBJ to Holtz, is akin to comparing you to some of the sages of Gopher Sports on here - I’m certainly not one.

Your reply tells me, you know very little about Gopher Athletics. You’re likely either too ignorant or arrogant to admit that using Holtz as a comparison was incorrect.

Regardless, I’ll put you back on ignore.

BTW, John Wayne never whined and complained; real 🤠 don’t blame others for their circumstances - put that in your Giddyup.

Last edited:

Yes, we ran Holtz out of town. It was on the news every day. The whole Notre Dame clause thing was a lie make-up afterwards. And we were left with a postseason ban and probation.
This is as bad as the OP. Hard being down to one active account out here?

BTW, John Wayne never whined and complained; real 🤠 don’t blame others for their circumstances - put that in your Giddyup.
Yeah...well...the Governor of California never conspired with the Sheriff to auction off his horses to the highest bidder....

Your age is showing kiddo, my guess is you were still sitting at the kids table on Thanksgiving or in your high chair. No true Gopher Fan, who wasn’t in either of the aforementioned eating table situations would post something like this!!

I was at the spring game going into Holtz’s second season and the Dome had 25K+ and season tickets were at 50,000+, my old man had a pair himself and he didn’t spend his money, but loved football, he was a high school official for 30 years.

Holtz was building something and wasn’t remotely run out of town, as evidenced by his results in his first two seasons. He left before the bowl game in 1985, which shows he wasn’t “run out of town.”

From the above article in The Strib regarding Holtz’s tenure (the following three paragraphs) -

Holtz got to work, getting a South Carolina quarterback named Rickey Foggie to come north to play. In 1984, a team that had lost 18 of its past 19 went 4-7. The Gophers won Big Ten games over Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa.

And then, 1985: The Gophers started 2-0, then hosted No. 2-ranked Oklahoma, losing just 13-7. The Gophers then beat Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana, rising to No. 20 in the polls, before losing 23-19 to ninth-ranked Ohio State. The Gophers ended up 6-5 and got a bid to the Independence Bowl.

But by the time that game was played, Holtz was gone to Notre Dame. It was a difficult divorce, at least on this end.

———————————-

Holtz likely would have stayed here, if ND didn’t seek to hire him, as he said ND was the only job he would have left for (it was his dream job as a devout Catholic). The payment information didn’t come to light until Sweet Lou was long gone IIRC.

Learn to listen and listen to learn. There are many more long suffering Gopher Fans on here than you, you don’t have the totality of those experiences.

Respect their pain, it’s been well earned.
Pretty sure ETP is like a 70 year old retired dude with nothing better to do then pump iron, praise the lord, and spam gopherhole

Pretty sure ETP is like a 70 year old retired dude with nothing better to do then pump iron, praise the lord, and spam gopherhole
I imagine him as an under 40 wise arse, who likely hasn’t beaten up enough to learn some graciousness yet with their opinions- like seemingly some(?) on here and me in those salad days. Although, I could be wrong regarding his age, I often am about many things in life.

BTW - One of the great lessons I’ve learned -
“Doubt is uncomfortable. Certitude is insane.” - Voltaire 😉. That only makes good sense to many later in life, me included.

Last edited:

I imagine him as an under 40 wise arse, who likely hasn’t beaten up enough to learn some graciousness yet with their opinions- like seemingly some(?) on here and me in those salad days. Although, I could be wrong regarding his age, I often am about many things in life.

BTW - One of the great lessons I’ve learned -
“Doubt is uncomfortable. Certitude is insane.” - Voltaire 😉. That only makes good sense to many later in life, me included.
You say John Wayne wouldn't whine & complain & blame others.

Whining & complaining & blaming Coach Johnson....is the bread & butter & marmalade pudding of this board.

Sling-mud first...and maybe listen to some reason later eventually...is the modus operandi in here.

To CLARIFY about Holtz. I simply proved that no, you are NOT always what your record says you are. It often has a LOT to do with the school, administration, & circumstances.

Holtz likely would have stayed here, if ND didn’t seek to hire him, as he said ND was the only job he would have left for (it was his dream job as a devout Catholic).

Not entirely true. He also said the same thing about the Ohio State job.

Not entirely true. He also said the same thing about the Ohio State job.
I don’t recall that (not saying it didn’t happen); what I recall is that Holtz had a specific out in his contract to leave for the ND job and there wasn’t any buyout penalty associated with that move, I don’t recall OSU being included.

Is it possible you’re conflating Holtz with Mason? Glenn’s dream job was the Buckeyes IIRC.

Do you have any third party attestation to corroborate that assertion? Otherwise it’s my recollection vs. yours. You obviously agree with my comment regarding ND.

Last edited:

We ran Holtz out of town. We were on his case, big scandal...before the lie about the Notre Dame clause.

We were left with a postseason ban and probation, like I said before.

I'm not trying to be controversial...certainly not about Holtz. There's enough issues surrounding Johnson, paying players, & current events. I was simply saying that no, a coach's record isn't the only thing to consider. But dang, we can't even agree on what happened with Holtz in here??

I don’t recall that (not saying it didn’t happen); what I recall is that Holtz had a specific out in his contract to leave for the ND job and there wasn’t any buyout penalty associated with that move, I don’t recall OSU being included.

Is it possible you’re conflating Holtz with Mason? Glenn’s dream job was the Buckeyes IIRC.

Do you have any third party attestation to corroborate that assertion? Otherwise it’s my recollection vs. yours. You obviously agree with my comment regarding ND.
Holtz grew up cheering for OSU. Woody offerded him a job when he was at W&M. I’m not going to peruse the wayback machine but when he came here and was being accused of being a carpetbagger this was discussed. When he bolted for ND of course they ginned up this so called clause in his contract that it was only ND as that was his “Dream Job”. Earl Bruce was winning Big Ten championships at the time so the Likelihood of that job becoming available was nonexistent. Only Sid noes and he took it to his grave.

Holtz grew up cheering for OSU. Woody offerded him a job when he was at W&M. I’m not going to peruse the wayback machine but when he came here and was being accused of being a carpetbagger this was discussed. When he bolted for ND of course they ginned up this so called clause in his contract that it was only ND as that was his “Dream Job”. Earl Bruce was winning Big Ten championships at the time so the Likelihood of that job becoming available was nonexistent. Only Sid noes and he took it to his grave.
Exactly the story I would expect to hear in a thread about Ben Johnson being the next basketball coach at UConn 😂

Good stuff :)

Are we hoping for professional wrestling in the U's facilities because with all this jibber jabber, he said/he said banter and selective memory going on, I'm expecting someone to come running in with a garbage can full of hockey sticks, frying pans and the like to spice things up

Holtz was definitely being forced out at Minnesota.

After catching a breath in here...nobody is actually disputing this, right?

Holtz grew up cheering for OSU. Woody offerded him a job when he was at W&M.
He was actually an assistant in 1968 at OSU, prior to becoming the HC at W&M in 1969 - see his Wikipedia page for corroboration.

I’m not going to peruse the wayback machine but when he came here and was being accused of being a carpetbagger this was discussed.
So in essence, it sounds like it was an assumption then as it is now; I’m sorry, but that doesn’t sound like definitive proof to me, that OSU was his dream job, but rather gossiping. I spent my business career doing research for pharma companies, so I’m stickler when it comes to opinions vs. data/facts.
When he bolted for ND of course they ginned up this so called clause in his contract that it was only ND as that was his “Dream Job”.
It would be a good cover story for The U, but were they ever that clever?
Earl Bruce was winning Big Ten championships at the time so the Likelihood of that job becoming available was nonexistent.
Ahh, the unattainable lass.
Only Sid noes and he took it to his grave.
Exhumation!! STAT!!!

Last edited:

Holtz was definitely being forced out at Minnesota.

After catching a breath in here...nobody is actually disputing this, right?
We ran Holtz out of town. We were on his case, big scandal...before the lie about the Notre Dame clause.

We were left with a postseason ban and probation, like I said before.

I'm not trying to be controversial...certainly not about Holtz. There's enough issues surrounding Johnson, paying players, & current events. I was simply saying that no, a coach's record isn't the only thing to consider. But dang, we can't even agree on what happened with Holtz in here??
You’re conflating time periods, kiddo. The NCAA investigations have never run that fast, as if he was being investigated, while he was the coach here for only two years.

If you were over 40 and witnessed enough of them as an adult, during their glory years of performing said investigations, you would realize they never moved that quickly.

Furthermore, I have proof that we weren’t left with a post season ban and probation when he left, per your bolded comments above; this is not my opinion, but a fact as it’s provided from a third party and written in said time frame; this is an example of third party attestation.

From an article written in 1991 regarding the penalties for Holtz, which occurred when he was coach in 1984-85. I have copied the salient paragraphs, but please read these articles and enlighten yourself.

Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz now has a record with the NCAA enforcement department, and Minnesota won`t be able to play in a bowl game this year.

But considering the scope of the NCAA`s three-year investigation of the University of Minnesota`s athletic program, the school seemed relieved Wednesday to escape with only limited sanctions.

The NCAA infractions committee continued probation for Minnesota, which it has been serving since 1988, for two more years, and banned the football team from postseason play this season as penalties for 17 rules violations in its football, basketball and wrestling programs. The committee also took away one basketball scholarship for the 1991-92 season.

Holtz, the Minnesota coach in 1984 and 1985, was named in two violations. He was cited for giving $250 to a student-athlete to enable him to enroll in a correspondence course and for giving $25 to $40 to a recruit who lost his wallet during a visit to campus.

——————————————-

This required a minimal amount of internet sleuthing. You will see the amount Holtz was found being guilty of is chump change and laughable when juxtaposed against today’s NIL environment; it’s less than $300.

Obviously, there wasn’t an immediate bowl when when he left, as we played in the frickin Independence Bowl in 1985 (first bowl game since 1977 kiddo - that was gold for long suffering fans) -here is an article regarding said bowl, which discusses Holtz exist, More third party attestation!

If you want further education here is a link to a thread on this forum regarding Holtz, which popped up as well.

I won’t post anymore on this topic, as I 💅 it.

Lastly, if he stayed here, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he wouldn’t have been caught.

Last edited:

You’re conflating time periods, kiddo. The NCAA investigations have never run that fast, as if he was being investigated, while he was the coach here for only two years.

If you were over 40 and witnessed enough of them as an adult, during their glory years of performing said investigations, you would realize they never moved that quickly.

Furthermore, I have proof that we weren’t left with a post season ban and probation when he left, per your bolded comments above; this is not my opinion, but a fact as it’s provided from a third party and written in said time frame; this is an example of third party attestation.

From an article written in 1991 regarding the penalties for Holtz, which occurred when he was coach in 1984-85. I have copied the salient paragraphs, but please read these articles and enlighten yourself.

Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz now has a record with the NCAA enforcement department, and Minnesota won`t be able to play in a bowl game this year.

But considering the scope of the NCAA`s three-year investigation of the University of Minnesota`s athletic program, the school seemed relieved Wednesday to escape with only limited sanctions.

The NCAA infractions committee continued probation for Minnesota, which it has been serving since 1988, for two more years, and banned the football team from postseason play this season as penalties for 17 rules violations in its football, basketball and wrestling programs. The committee also took away one basketball scholarship for the 1991-92 season.

Holtz, the Minnesota coach in 1984 and 1985, was named in two violations. He was cited for giving $250 to a student-athlete to enable him to enroll in a correspondence course and for giving $25 to $40 to a recruit who lost his wallet during a visit to campus.

——————————————-

This required a minimal amount of internet sleuthing. You will see the amount Holtz was found being guilty of is chump change and laughable when juxtaposed against today’s NIL environment; it’s less than $300.

Obviously, there wasn’t an immediate bowl when when he left, as we played in the frickin Independence Bowl in 1985 (first bowl game since 1977 kiddo - that was gold for long suffering fans) -here is an article regarding said bowl, which discusses Holtz exist, More third party attestation!

If you want further education here is a link to a thread on this forum regarding Holtz, which popped up as well.

I won’t post anymore on this topic, as I 💅 it.

Lastly, if he stayed here, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he wouldn’t have been caught.
We forced Holtz out ourselves. It was a big scandal before he suddenly had a Notre Dame clause. We said he gave $40,000 in cash to a player, among other things...but Holtz escaped personal sanctions by blaming it all on a guy named Luther Darville.

Notre Dame likes that type of behavior.

Minnesota looks for any excuse to sabotage FB & BB.

Yep......we ran Holtz out of town so he forced to take that 2nd rate job at North Dakota....I mean NOTRE DAME----LMAO---SMH

Did Holtz move us to the dome? If he did he can go pound sand.

You say John Wayne wouldn't whine & complain & blame others.

Whining & complaining & blaming Coach Johnson....is the bread & butter & marmalade pudding of this board.

Sling-mud first...and maybe listen to some reason later eventually...is the modus operandi in here.

To CLARIFY about Holtz. I simply proved that no, you are NOT always what your record says you are. It often has a LOT to do with the school, administration, & circumstances.
The excuses for CBJ are getting old after 3 years and 2 last place finishes. Would you suggest 8 years like Pitino got for no experience.

Top Bottom