CBJ to be targeted by UCONN???!!!!

9d4f95a5-8a34-4365-bb37-8f005523af37_text.gif

If Hurley leaves, CBJ will be a tough choice to pass up with his resume and interview chops. He does it the right way, and it could soon be the UCONN way…
We've had posters here say he should resign in protest over how unfairly he's treated and take an assistant job...

We've had posters here say he should resign in protest over how unfairly he's treated and take an assistant job...
We've also had posters here say every coach with a good won-loss record is a genius, and every coach with a bad won-loss record is a bum...regardless of the circumstances.

We've also had posters here say every coach with a good won-loss record is a genius, and every coach with a bad won-loss record is a bum...regardless of the circumstances.

I don't even think they should even keep score. It makes people think that the players and coaches on the team with more points are better. And then people feel bad.

Not sure who said that. But it's a safe bet that after three full seasons at 15-44, you are what you record says you are.

I don't even think they should even keep score. It makes people think that the players and coaches on the team with more points are better. And then people feel bad.
Not sure who said that. But it's a safe bet that after three full seasons at 15-44, you are what you record says you are.
See what I mean.

They think coaching at Minnesota is the same as coaching at Kansas, UConn...coaching Michael Jordan. Record proves genius or bum, no matter what.

See what I mean.

They think coaching at Minnesota is the same as coaching at Kansas, UConn...coaching Michael Jordan. Record proves genius or bum, no matter what.

If college basketball success is now solely the result of NIL and coaching no longer matters (results are directly correlated to NIL spend).....it would seem like a complete waste of time to watch any games or follow the sport. It would seem like even a bigger waste of time to continue to post non-stop on a message board covering this non-competitive activity. So why do you do it if that's your view?

See what I mean.

I didn't even know I thought that. I can't remember even thinking about it.

15-44 is not acceptable anywhere.
If college basketball success is now solely the result of NIL and coaching no longer matters (results are directly correlated to NIL spend).....it would seem like a complete waste of time to watch any games or follow the sport. It would seem like even a bigger waste of time to continue to post non-stop on a message board covering this non-competitive activity. So why do you do it if that's your view?
We need to hire a Lou Holtz type. Someone very smart.

How's Uconn going to be able to hire him away from the Lakers?

See what I mean.

He also didn't accomplish anything at Xavier as an assistant. He's made the tournament once in his coaching career whether it be as an assistant or head coach. Even taking away his terrible stint as the Minnesota HC, there's nothing there to fall back on. If you've been unsuccessful at every stop, you're probably not very good.

He also didn't accomplish anything at Xavier as an assistant. He's made the tournament once in his coaching career whether it be as an assistant or head coach. Even taking away his terrible stint as the Minnesota HC, there's nothing there to fall back on. If you've been unsuccessful at every stop, you're probably not very good.
2 mill/yr. He has succeeded

Lou Holtz didn't accomplish anything here. No one does.

I'd say coaching well enough to get the Notre Dame job, is one hell of an accomplishment. I would love for CBJ to be good enough to get the Duke or Kansas job.
You just made my point.

Won-loss record has very little to do with actual coaching ability. Even before it officially became all about money.

Holtz was a bum at Minnesota. And then suddenly a genius at Notre Dame.

You just made my point.

Won-loss record has very little to do with actual coaching ability. Even before it officially became all about money.

Holtz was a bum at Minnesota. And then suddenly a genius at Notre Dame.

Newsflash, a coach that wins a lot, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have good coaching ability. If you constantly lose, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have shitty coaching ability. Try and name me a coach that consistently loses who you would deem a good coach?

Holtz took over a team that won 1 game and 2 years later had them in a bowl game. The first in 8 years.

Newsflash, a coach that wins a lot, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have good coaching ability. If you constantly lose, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you have shitty coaching ability. Try and name me a coach that consistently loses who you would deem a good coach?

Holtz took over a team that won 1 game and 2 years later had them in a bowl game. The first in 8 years.
Oh now suddenly it's about what you inherit?? Coach Johnson inherited a completely empty roster.

Holtz was 3-6 and 4-4 in the B1G at Minnesota. And ran out of town for paying for recruits.

My point is that it's RIDICULOUS for you guys to put the blame on Ben. And RIDICULOUS how you guys say that won-loss record determines who's a genius and who's a bum.

Oh now suddenly it's about what you inherit?? Coach Johnson inherited a completely empty roster.

Holtz was 3-6 and 4-4 in the B1G at Minnesota. And ran out of town for paying for recruits.

My point is that it's RIDICULOUS for you guys to put the blame on Ben. And RIDICULOUS how you guys say that won-loss record determines who's a genius and who's a bum.

That was either his choice, or he failed to keep anybody around.

You think Holtz was run out of town. Out of all your delusional takes that might be the best one yet.

Johnson hasn't been good. I don't put all the blame on him for the current state of our bball program, some of that goes to who hired him and the admin, but he's been objectively terrible in his 3 seasons. He also has no track record of success.

I'm guessing you think Johnson is a good coach, despite never having been successful? That's fine, but that's what's ridiculous. It's hilarious you think Holtz is a bum and Johnson is the next John Wooden or something

Lou Holtz didn't accomplish anything here. No one does.
Your age is showing kiddo, my guess is you were still sitting at the kids table on Thanksgiving or in your high chair. No true Gopher Fan, who wasn’t in either of the aforementioned eating table situations would post something like this!!

I was at the spring game going into Holtz’s second season and the Dome had 25K+ and season tickets were at 50,000+, my old man had a pair himself and he didn’t spend his money, but loved football, he was a high school official for 30 years.

Holtz was building something and wasn’t remotely run out of town, as evidenced by his results in his first two seasons. He left before the bowl game in 1985, which shows he wasn’t “run out of town.”

From the above article in The Strib regarding Holtz’s tenure (the following three paragraphs) -

Holtz got to work, getting a South Carolina quarterback named Rickey Foggie to come north to play. In 1984, a team that had lost 18 of its past 19 went 4-7. The Gophers won Big Ten games over Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa.

And then, 1985: The Gophers started 2-0, then hosted No. 2-ranked Oklahoma, losing just 13-7. The Gophers then beat Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana, rising to No. 20 in the polls, before losing 23-19 to ninth-ranked Ohio State. The Gophers ended up 6-5 and got a bid to the Independence Bowl.

But by the time that game was played, Holtz was gone to Notre Dame. It was a difficult divorce, at least on this end.

———————————-

Holtz likely would have stayed here, if ND didn’t seek to hire him, as he said ND was the only job he would have left for (it was his dream job as a devout Catholic). The payment information didn’t come to light until Sweet Lou was long gone IIRC.

Learn to listen and listen to learn. There are many more long suffering Gopher Fans on here than you, you don’t have the totality of those experiences.

Respect their pain, it’s been well earned.

Last edited:

That was either his choice, or he failed to keep anybody around.

You think Holtz was run out of town. Out of all your delusional takes that might be the best one yet.

Johnson hasn't been good. I don't put all the blame on him for the current state of our bball program, some of that goes to who hired him and the admin, but he's been objectively terrible in his 3 seasons. He also has no track record of success.

I'm guessing you think Johnson is a good coach, despite never having been successful? That's fine, but that's what's ridiculous. It's hilarious you think Holtz is a bum and Johnson is the next John Wooden or something
Yes, we ran Holtz out of town. It was on the news every day. The whole Notre Dame clause thing was a lie make-up afterwards. And we were left with a postseason ban and probation.

Your age is showing kiddo, my guess is you were still sitting at the kids table on Thanksgiving or in your high chair. No true Gopher Fan, who wasn’t in either of the aforementioned eating table situations would post something like this!!

I was at the spring game going into Holtz’s second season and the Dome had 25K+ and season tickets were at 50,000+, my old man had a pair himself and he didn’t spend his money, but loved football, he was a high school official for 30 years.

Holtz was building something and wasn’t remotely run out of town, as evidenced by his results in his first two seasons. He left before the bowl game in 1985, which shows he wasn’t “run out of town.”

From the above article in The Strib regarding Holtz’s tenure (the following three paragraphs) -

Holtz got to work, getting a South Carolina quarterback named Rickey Foggie to come north to play. In 1984, a team that had lost 18 of its past 19 went 4-7. The Gophers won Big Ten games over Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa.

And then, 1985: The Gophers started 2-0, then hosted No. 2-ranked Oklahoma, losing just 13-7. The Gophers then beat Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana, rising to No. 20 in the polls, before losing 23-19 to ninth-ranked Ohio State. The Gophers ended up 6-5 and got a bid to the Independence Bowl.

But by the time that game was played, Holtz was gone to Notre Dame. It was a difficult divorce, at least on this end.

———————————-

Holtz likely would have stayed here, if ND didn’t seek to hire him, as he said ND was the only job he would have left for (it was his dream job as a devout Catholic). The payment information didn’t come to light until Sweet Lou was long gone IIRC.

Learn to listen and listen to learn. There are many more long suffering Gopher Fans on here than you, you don’t have the totality of those experiences.

Respect their pain, it’s been well earned.
Holtz was building something, you say?

Most guys on here say Ben's record already proves he's a failure.

Yes, we ran Holtz out of town. It was on the news every day. The whole Notre Dame clause thing was a lie make-up afterwards. And we were left with a postseason ban and probation.

He left before the bowl game. He wasn't run out of town. Either way, we're getting away from the original point.

Top Bottom