CBJ on Coyle: He knows we've done it the right way. He knows we took the right step last year. I told him we're trying to move the needle every day.

I've said it many times.
I came to the conclusion years ago that college sports is just a form of big time, big money entertainment. It's not some noble pursuit of rah rah school spirit or anything else. The goal is to win. Period. End of story. If they aren't willing to commit to that at the level their competitors are, why are they in the business at all?
Hundred million dollar t.v. payout is why

Hundred million dollar t.v. payout is why
Right, but if the money is just funneled back into the athletic program, what does it matter?
If they wanted, they could turn their back on big time sports and be like the U of Chicago.

The big question is:

Will Isaac Asuma be ready?

Point guards need to be savvy. Might be too much for a rookie but he has the talent.

Asuma will probably explode next season and then leave after for NIL. ;)

Oh, we're not sure about that...we need to spend a couple million dollars to decide if we should remodel it or build something new. Then, we'll spend several million more to actually design the remodel.
What's your point here?

What's your point here?
Somebody make a damn decision without spending a couple million to make it. And I'll take it all back if they really do build a new arena, but that would shock me and it's obvious to me in the competitive Twin Cities that a new arena is the answer.

on the arena - sad but true fact - when you're dealing with any level of bureaucracy, there is a "cover-your-ass" mentality. so commissioning a study may seem like a waste of money, but it does provide information - and it also provides cover for the decision-makers.

in this case, I think you do need information: estimates on how much it would cost to remodel the old building versus the cost of building a new arena from scratch. the Regents and Administration will never sign off on a project of that size without having options in black and white that they can consider.
--
and Spaulding - there is no guarantee that a new arena is the answer. you still have to put a product on the court that people are willing to pay for. but the argument is that today's sports fans expect a higher level of amenities - comfortable seating, luxury boxes and suites, roomier concourses, more and nicer bathrooms, more concessions options, etc. combine that with a good product and - at least in theory - you should be able to attract more fans. (assuming the cost of tickets is within a range that Minnesota fans deem reasonable....which is a whole 'nother discussion).

on the arena - sad but true fact - when you're dealing with any level of bureaucracy, there is a "cover-your-ass" mentality. so commissioning a study may seem like a waste of money, but it does provide information - and it also provides cover for the decision-makers.

in this case, I think you do need information: estimates on how much it would cost to remodel the old building versus the cost of building a new arena from scratch. the Regents and Administration will never sign off on a project of that size without having options in black and white that they can consider.
--
and Spaulding - there is no guarantee that a new arena is the answer. you still have to put a product on the court that people are willing to pay for. but the argument is that today's sports fans expect a higher level of amenities - comfortable seating, luxury boxes and suites, roomier concourses, more and nicer bathrooms, more concessions options, etc. combine that with a good product and - at least in theory - you should be able to attract more fans. (assuming the cost of tickets is within a range that Minnesota fans deem reasonable....which is a whole 'nother discussion).
It would be nice if they would get their ducks in order on a new arena to be ready for when the Wolves ask for one. What got TCF Bank Funding passed was that they couldn't say yes to funding Target Field while saying no the the U. So both bills passed the legislature on the same day.

Why is a new arena the answer?
I agree with all of Shorty's comments. The bureaucracy is frustrating but I know it is what it is.
My feeling is you can make Williams Arena nicer for sure but it's not going to compete as a facility and you'll have another study in 10 years because of grumbling. Timberwolves likely to have a new arena by then so the comparison will even be more dramatic with a remodeled Williams Arena.

What does "he knows we've done it the right way" even mean anymore? If 75% of your team transfers every year, are we still "building it brick by brick", "locking down the border", and "doing it the right way"?

Not trying to bash Ben Johnson again, but he sure knows how to lower expectations as well as anybody.

What does "he knows we've done it the right way" even mean anymore? If 75% of your team transfers every year, are we still "building it brick by brick", "locking down the border", and "doing it the right way"?

Not trying to bash Ben Johnson again, but he sure knows how to lower expectations as well as anybody.
Embrace the suck.

Embrace the suck.
Yes we've heard many many clichés.

Spaulding...I haven't given your motto a 'like' yet...because it's always been in the middle of talking about Coach Johnson.

But it fits perfectly here.

I'll concede that Johnson is right in the middle of it. I blamed Tubby when he didn't take a forceful stand against our administration. I suggested that Johnson resign. So ok...if he never speaks out (like I do) and just cashes checks...I will start adding him to the blame.

To summarize:

I'll start blaming Coach Johnson too pretty soon...if he doesn't speak up forcefully about what happened this offseason.

There's never any disagreement among administration and coaches at any college...when everyone is in the $10M club. Say some nice things publicly...to ensure your $3M departure bonus and rehiring by another school in a couple years.

To summarize:

I'll start blaming Coach Johnson too pretty soon...if he doesn't speak up forcefully about what happened this offseason.
I'm sure he will. If there's one thing Ben's known for besides winning, it's his fiery personality and public speaking acumen.

I'm sure he will. If there's one thing Ben's known for besides winning, it's his fiery personality and public speaking acumen.
Yeah. Johnson, Coyle...they simply read their boring cliché-filled scripts that the administration hands them. And cash checks.

I take "we've done it the right way" to mean - "we are not openly cheating."

or maybe it means "we don't have some rich yahoo handing out bags of cash and calling it NIL. we are trying to recruit players the old-fashioned way, without bribing them to come to our school."

it's a typically Minnesotan back-handed compliment. "we may not be very good, but we're losing with dignity."

or maybe it means "we don't have some rich yahoo handing out bags of cash and calling it NIL. we are trying to recruit players the old-fashioned way, without bribing them to come to our school."

it's a typically Minnesotan back-handed compliment. "we may not be very good, but we're losing with dignity."

blabbity blah

Well, keep in mind Fleck's words from last fall where he said that the recruiting and player personnel environment wasn't like it was three years ago and, in fact, even differed from the environment a year prior.

Despite the fact that Johnson had to recruit an entire team during his first offseason and almost an entirely new one in his second one, he probably viewed those situations as aberrations and retained most of his beliefs about team building that he had when he walked into the job. Just two seasons ago, he recruited four freshmen (five if you count redshirted Betts).

I think this offseason is where those former beliefs on team building mostly were extinguished.
This offseason he lost 6 players to the transfer portal and one to the NBA draft. Included among those six transfers were two players who he featured as well as they would have been featured at any major conference program. I suspect both of them were given NIL offers that would have
seemed good enough two, maybe even one, year ago but not this offseason. Of his five freshmen recruited two years ago, only one remains.

He now has assembled a team of mostly older, veteran players where only four have the potential to remain after the end of the upcoming season. I think he now realizes that his teams mostly are going to be staffed by short-term mercenaries and his goals for the time being at least have to follow that realization.

I believe that you are old enough to understand that people in all walks of life often are forced to make it up as they go along.

Last edited:

Yes, this time losing just happens to align with dignity.

But our administration will resort to underhanded tactics to ensure continued losing when they need to.

Top Bottom