Casey O’Brien - Cancer Battle Back On

Damn that sucks.....Here's hoping he can beat it again the way he has before.

Beat cancer again, Casey!

I have no idea what treatments he has done in the past, but I wonder if he is eligible for those newer types of therapies that try to use your body's immune system to attack the cancer cells?

Regardless, GOOD LUCK CASEY!!!

I have no idea what treatments he has done in the past, but I wonder if he is eligible for those newer types of therapies that try to use your body's immune system to attack the cancer cells?

Unfortunately immunotherapy is currently only used for certain types of cancer where it has proven to be effective. Immunotherapy also has it's risks in that the immune system can turn on healthy cells and not just cancerous ones and unlike chemotherapy the side effects can continue even if the immunotherapy is stopped. The fact that I know about this makes me sad and mad. Cancer does suck!!!!

Puts things into perspective. Not sure I’ve ever really had a bad day.

Kick it again Mr. O’Brien!!

A lot of those are not that new. Many of the new drugs you see for chron's disease, psoriasis, eczema etc are just weaker/modified versions of cancer drugs.

Either way best of luck to Casey. It sure doesn't seem fair.

Unfortunately immunotherapy is currently only used for certain types of cancer where it has proven to be effective. Immunotherapy also has it's risks in that the immune system can turn on healthy cells and not just cancerous ones and unlike chemotherapy the side effects can continue even if the immunotherapy is stopped. The fact that I know about this makes me sad and mad. Cancer does suck!!!!
Thanks for the comments.

It would seem like the immune system should (and does, normally???) be able to kill all manner of cancerous cells in the body, no matter what type/tissue/organ. If only we can correctly (re)program them to do so.

Possibly mRNA technology will aid this in the future, as well.

I am really glad PJ got him on the field for a play.

He got on the field the next week at home against Maryland, which was great, too.

Thing about Casey was he was an outstanding young athlete. He was likely was on a path to be a legit college athlete at some level prior to the cancer. Just one more reason that cancer sucks.

Thanks for the comments.

It would seem like the immune system should (and does, normally???) be able to kill all manner of cancerous cells in the body, no matter what type/tissue/organ. If only we can correctly (re)program them to do so.

Possibly mRNA technology will aid this in the future, as well.
Yep, this is my hope as well, would be nice if we could get to the point where most cancer treatment is a couple of jabs in the arm...

Top Bottom