Carvana

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
We’ll be looking for a new vehicle sometime this year. Wondering if anyone has ever used Carvana? Seems to get good reviews from what I can see but would be interested in opinions from those that have used it.

We’ll be looking for a new vehicle sometime this year. Wondering if anyone has ever used Carvana? Seems to get good reviews from what I can see but would be interested in opinions from those that have used it.
I almost sold my truck through them.
Their quote was a couple thousand higher.

I have since decided to buy stock in the company.

They are trying to do a couple things differently.

1. Avoid the hassle of spending hours in a car dealership being sold on their limited selection of on the lot vehicles.

2. Simplify the whole process so people don't hate buying cars so much.

3. Actually offer a very fair price on your trade in (if it's a recent model year).

I think one of their goals is to have nationwide inventory in lower quantities and without the traditional overhead of large car lots in every city. The vending machine provides a smaller footprint, but also obviously works as a big marketing factor.

Reviews are largely very positive. Some people think that due to their process of making it easier and less painful, people might decide to trade cars more frequently because they aren't getting murdered on their trade ins as frequently.

Can you get a better deal somewhere else? Yes, if you want to waste time going dealer to dealer.
Will you save more than a grand? Probably unlikely.

I saw one being delivered about a month ago and talked to the delivery people who were friendly, professional and informative. Personally, I think you can tell a lot by those types of interactions; they also most have an amazing amount of capital behind them, as they advertise non-stop.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s definitely something I’ll look into further.

Know a person who sold a car on there last year and had a great experience.

I've personally had a good experience selling a car to CarMax (big lot in Brooklyn Center/Park, I believe it was).

As others mentioned, you won't get the very top dollar, but it's potentially a lot less hassle than a private sale, and of course you'll get more than a trade-in to a dealer.

Do people really spend that much time at the dealerships these days? I figured that with places like autotrader and cars.com that everyone can mostly find what they are looking for ahead of time. I spent a total of about two-three hours about a month ago at a dealership....and that was basically just doing the paperwork and getting everything finalized.

Do people really spend that much time at the dealerships these days? I figured that with places like autotrader and cars.com that everyone can mostly find what they are looking for ahead of time. I spent a total of about two-three hours about a month ago at a dealership....and that was basically just doing the paperwork and getting everything finalized.

Yeh, I think so.

Some people just hate the experience. Feel like they are being taken.
Others fall into the traps of the finance guy.

Something very comfortable about closing a deal at home in front of your screen.

A few years ago, people would go look at a car, pop the hood, look around, etc.
Now they don't even want to interact with salespeople for a test drive.

What about test drives and such?

As others mentioned, you won't get the very top dollar, but it's potentially a lot less hassle than a private sale, and of course you'll get more than a trade-in to a dealer.

Dealer trade gives you the tax benefit tho.

What about test drives and such?

That can be a quick process. And it doesn't really feel like it belongs in a discussion comparing a dealership to a place like Carvana.

Don't buy a single thing from the dealership.

Use your own financing. Have always gotten good service and rates from credit unions, on auto loans.

100% on the credit union route. I would have used Affinity Plus over the dealership financing any day.

That can be a quick process. And it doesn't really feel like it belongs in a discussion comparing a dealership to a place like Carvana.
Stupid question: then how do you do the test drive?

If you mean, in regards to selling, then yes you're correct. I thought it was OK to open the discussion to buying, as well.

Stupid question: then how do you do the test drive?

If you mean, in regards to selling, then yes you're correct. I thought it was OK to open the discussion to buying, as well.

Are you responding to the wrong poster? Going to a dealership....you obviously can do a test drive. Not sure how that works with a place like carvana.

Are you responding to the wrong poster? Going to a dealership....you obviously can do a test drive. Not sure how that works with a place like carvana.
I'm responding to: I spent a total of about two-three hours about a month ago at a dealership....and that was basically just doing the paperwork and getting everything finalized.

I guess for me, seeing it in person, and taking it for a drive, would be a big factor early on if I even like a particular car.

I'm responding to: I spent a total of about two-three hours about a month ago at a dealership....and that was basically just doing the paperwork and getting everything finalized.

I guess for me, seeing it in person, and taking it for a drive, would be a big factor early on if I even like a particular car.

I took it for about a 10-15 minute drive. Didn't really need to do much more. I knew it wasn't going to sprout wings and fly.

If you say so, I believe you. Don't know anything about that.

If you trade a car in you only pay sales tax on the difference, which can be significant. A $10k trade in saves you almost $700 in sales tax.

Buying a car is torture unless your paying cash, last time we financed it took hours. Cash you just tell them to get the paperwork ready, come back sign a few things hand over the check and done.

Top Bottom