Carter

thanks for the breaking news

Do you read anything before posting? newspapers, websites, anything? Hell, do you leave your mom's basement and talk to live human beings? This has been known for weeks

don't know if it's been posted yet, but Bush beat Gore

umm, again...

old news and does not need to be posted. Don't care if everyone thinks I'm a jerk, it means I must be doing something right.

my 1st post had over 2,000 views, They should be paying me to post here.

Lawrence is an ahole. It was my bad that it had already been posted but theres no reason for bashing.

Do you read anything before posting? newspapers, websites, anything? Hell, do you leave your mom's basement and talk to live human beings? This has been known for weeks

shut up and get off my site

What the hell are you talking about? There were recent rumors that he had received a Florida offer and game them a silent verbal. This news would dispel those rumors.

What the hell are you talking about? There were recent rumors that he had received a Florida offer and game them a silent verbal. This news would dispel those rumors.

It is old though. I posted it on Sunday.

Brewster said there should be two commits this week. McNeal sounds Oregon bound to me. Eguae could change from Colorado to us. That leaves at least one other. Either a surprise (most of our recruits have other officials in January), or Carter is the second. ;)

Making a call on Carter

I'm going to make my second call of the year (Kenneth Watkins was #1). Michael Carter commits to Minnesota on Saturday.

I'm going to make my second call of the year (Kenneth Watkins was #1). Michael Carter commits to Minnesota on Saturday.
grunkiejr is the man and I will second your call. Im over Bryce he is gone. Nosa is my next target as a must have

I don't think many would agree with me but I think I might pick Nosa over Bryce if I had to have just one on this team. No I am not just saying that because McNeal appears Oregon bound. I feel that D-line is the most difficult position to recruit and extra depth is needed. I think Brewster will be able to land some good wrs in this offense every year, for example Hayo Carpenter. The depth at WR is better at this time as well.

I concur btown. McNeal would be a nice add to our WR group but, of the three possble verbals, I would rather pick up help on the D-side ala Carter and Nosa.

Sorry guys...I just have to add one more Lawrence21 is a total tool. I do like to read his posts though. It is amazing how much of an ass one can be. An ass who is proud of being an ass is even more of an ass. Keep 'em coming Lawrence, we need idiot posts to keep the balance. You are keeping the idiot side afloat.

I don't think many would agree with me but I think I might pick Nosa over Bryce if I had to have just one on this team. No I am not just saying that because McNeal appears Oregon bound. I feel that D-line is the most difficult position to recruit and extra depth is needed. I think Brewster will be able to land some good wrs in this offense every year, for example Hayo Carpenter. The depth at WR is better at this time as well.

I'll agree with that. Personally, ever since we got Singleton I have thought that Carter is the most important player remaining because we need CB's bad (Simmons & Sherels are both Seniors...behind them Collado, Johnson, Stoudermire move back to CB?, Lewis move from S to CB? pick up a commitment from Taikwon Paige?). I think we also need to fortify the D-line. Eguae is a strong side DE which we don't have in this class. I would still like another LB & DT but if we don't get them this year we can pick up an extra one at both positions next year.

That isn't to say I don't want McNeal--you always take 4 star receivers when you can get them--but WR will be one of our deepest positions next year with or without McNeal. If McNeal does commit it would probably ensure Stoudermire moves back to CB which I guess does help the D.

If there was a 21 pound turd Lawrence would be it's asshole.

BrYce McNeal vs. DL Prospect

I concur btown. McNeal would be a nice add to our WR group but, of the three possble verbals, I would rather pick up help on the D-side ala Carter and Nosa.

This is an interesting persepective, and I'm not sure I totally disagree with the thought process that concludes that a lower rated, but still good, D-line prospect may be more "necessary" than another WR prospect.

However, there are some things to consider before coming to such a conclusion:

1) McNeal (assuming he commits) would be more than just a "nice add to our WR group". He would be the highest rated prospect of this entire class. He's an 82 on the ESPN scale and Rivals has him as a 4*/6.0 (Carpenter is a Rivals 4*/5.9). Of course, ratings aren't necessarily indicative of on the field success, but it's all we have to compare prospects with at this point.

2) At the moment, the only true deep threat we have at WR is... wait for it... ummm... well, I guess it'd have to be Carpenter, who hasn't played a down for us yet. Decker, Green and Smith can all get downfield, but none of our current WRs have the kind of top end speed to really stretch the field. Assuming that Carpenter is as good as advertised, he gives us a true deep threat which should only serve to help Decker, Green, et al. With that being the case, what if Carpenter goes down to injury? Having both Carpenter and McNeal gives us some insurance in case one of the two gets hurt.

3) Even with the added focus on the power running game, we're still going to be primarily a spread offense team. We need talent and depth at WR in order for the spread to be as effective as it can be. Adding McNeal to the current crop of WRs improves both talent and depth, and makes our WR corps more diverse.

4) Having both Carpenter and McNeal gives us two legit deep threat WRs who also have good RAC ability, which makes defensive scheming more difficult. You can't double team Decker, Carpenter, Green and McNeal, so we would have at least one very favorable 1 on 1 matchup when we have 4 WRs on the field.

5) Nosa Eguae, per Rivals, is a 3*/5.7 DE, and ESPN rating is 77 (Garin is a 78). He's listed at 6'3", 234lbs. In order to play DL effectively in the B10, he would most likely need to redshirt in order to gain some weight and strength. That means he's not playing until at least 2010, and probably not until 2011 as a RS Sophomore.

Although it's not a lock, McNeal is more likley to see the field as a ture freshman (assuming he can pick up the offense), so he provides more immediate help to the program. If he commits to Minnesota at the Army game that provides a PR boost that, in turn, should raise the prestige of the program in the eyes of other highly rated recruits in future classes, on both sides of the ball.

Finally, getting McNeal to sign locks up the bulk of the top talent in Minnesota for the 2009 class, showing that the borders are indeed closing under Brew & Co.

If we're looking for DL prospects to take instead of McNeal, of the guys I've seen who are "considering" MN, I'd prefer that we find a way to get Edward Nuckols (DT - Rivals 4*/5.8 and ESPN 80, 6'2" 290lbs), as his size suggests that he would be more likely to earn PT early on.

Of course, all of this assumes that McNeal would commit to MN, which we know is a big IF at this point. However, for the sake of this discussion, IMO our program is still in a position where it needs to add talent at just about every position. Given the choice right now, I'll take a more highly rated player at WR rather than trying to target and fill specific spots with a lower rated player at DL.

All that being said, I really want McNeal and Carter to commit this weekend! :)

Go Gophers!!!!!!

I'm calling the odds right now -

Carter, 90% yes
McNeal, 90% no

Don't want to get my hopes up on McNeal, I don't see him coming here.

This is an interesting persepective, and I'm not sure I totally disagree with the thought process that concludes that a lower rated, but still good, D-line prospect may be more "necessary" than another WR prospect.

However, there are some things to consider before coming to such a conclusion:

1) McNeal (assuming he commits) would be more than just a "nice add to our WR group". He would be the highest rated prospect of this entire class. He's an 82 on the ESPN scale and Rivals has him as a 4*/6.0 (Carpenter is a Rivals 4*/5.9). Of course, ratings aren't necessarily indicative of on the field success, but it's all we have to compare prospects with at this point.

2) At the moment, the only true deep threat we have at WR is... wait for it... ummm... well, I guess it'd have to be Carpenter, who hasn't played a down for us yet. Decker, Green and Smith can all get downfield, but none of our current WRs have the kind of top end speed to really stretch the field. Assuming that Carpenter is as good as advertised, he gives us a true deep threat which should only serve to help Decker, Green, et al. With that being the case, what if Carpenter goes down to injury? Having both Carpenter and McNeal gives us some insurance in case one of the two gets hurt.

3) Even with the added focus on the power running game, we're still going to be primarily a spread offense team. We need talent and depth at WR in order for the spread to be as effective as it can be. Adding McNeal to the current crop of WRs improves both talent and depth, and makes our WR corps more diverse.

4) Having both Carpenter and McNeal gives us two legit deep threat WRs who also have good RAC ability, which makes defensive scheming more difficult. You can't double team Decker, Carpenter, Green and McNeal, so we would have at least one very favorable 1 on 1 matchup when we have 4 WRs on the field.

5) Nosa Eguae, per Rivals, is a 3*/5.7 DE, and ESPN rating is 77 (Garin is a 78). He's listed at 6'3", 234lbs. In order to play DL effectively in the B10, he would most likely need to redshirt in order to gain some weight and strength. That means he's not playing until at least 2010, and probably not until 2011 as a RS Sophomore.

Although it's not a lock, McNeal is more likley to see the field as a ture freshman (assuming he can pick up the offense), so he provides more immediate help to the program. If he commits to Minnesota at the Army game that provides a PR boost that, in turn, should raise the prestige of the program in the eyes of other highly rated recruits in future classes, on both sides of the ball.

Finally, getting McNeal to sign locks up the bulk of the top talent in Minnesota for the 2009 class, showing that the borders are indeed closing under Brew & Co.

If we're looking for DL prospects to take instead of McNeal, of the guys I've seen who are "considering" MN, I'd prefer that we find a way to get Edward Nuckols (DT - Rivals 4*/5.8 and ESPN 80, 6'2" 290lbs), as his size suggests that he would be more likely to earn PT early on.

Of course, all of this assumes that McNeal would commit to MN, which we know is a big IF at this point. However, for the sake of this discussion, IMO our program is still in a position where it needs to add talent at just about every position. Given the choice right now, I'll take a more highly rated player at WR rather than trying to target and fill specific spots with a lower rated player at DL.

All that being said, I really want McNeal and Carter to commit this weekend! :)

Go Gophers!!!!!!

I agree with most of what you say. However, I would add that Bryant Allen runs a 4.3 according to Scout which should give us another deep threat. After watching his film I think he is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than McNeal. McNeal has about the best hands in the country (according to Rivals) and he is 6'2". Allen is more likely about 5'9" or 5'10" which is the biggest reason that he is a high 3 star instead of a 4 star receiver.

I want McNeal too but I'm not concerned about 2009 playing time as much as I am about getting this team to the next level. DE/DT rarely come in and play in their freshman year. We're going to need depth behind Anthony Jacobs when he takes over the strong side DE position and Eguae can provide that. Keep in mind, if McNeal doesn't commit we're not going to go after another receiver but if Eguae doesn't commit we are going to start looking at plan B guys (Ball most likely). Nuckols doesn't sound too interested in Minnesota so I don't think we have much of a chance.

Carter remains my number one target and as I said in a previous post in this thread...I'm calling him a lock for Minnesota on Saturday.

Wow. Some of you people absolutely amaze me.

One day, you all say that Bryce McNeal is a must get... We must close our borders... Can you imagine how great him, Decker, Carpenter, and Green will be together...

Then as soon as there is a small hint or belief that he may go to another school everyone all of a sudden everyone is jumping off the bandwagon. They believe that he is over hyped and that our roster is good enough without him.

Our roster could do nothing but improve with an aquisition of a player like McNeal. He is a top rated WR, a Minnesota native, and should still be a key target for the gophers and a player that all fans should want to be on this roster.

I see David Lockwood is the DB coach for West Virginia and has made the in home visit for Carter. I'm sure he didn't pass on warm memories of MN.

paulser21- I agree with your explaination, but if you listen to McNeal himself he doesnt give Minn much love at all....other than being in his top 4.

Don't take a vocal minority as representative

Wow. Some of you people absolutely amaze me.

One day, you all say that Bryce McNeal is a must get... We must close our borders... Can you imagine how great him, Decker, Carpenter, and Green will be together...

Then as soon as there is a small hint or belief that he may go to another school everyone all of a sudden everyone is jumping off the bandwagon. They believe that he is over hyped and that our roster is good enough without him.

Our roster could do nothing but improve with an aquisition of a player like McNeal. He is a top rated WR, a Minnesota native, and should still be a key target for the gophers and a player that all fans should want to be on this roster.

Don't generalize from the few folks who make silly claims like over-rated. I think the vast majority of us would be ecstatic to get McNeal, for the reasons mentioned throughout this thread. However, it's also true that the program has progressed to where it's not a debilitating loss if one of the top MN kids goes elsewhere. Brewster has done a good job of getting the vast majority of the top MN players and quality recruits from elsewhere. No one gets all the in-state kids and he is getting the talent to survive the misses.

I'm calling the odds right now -

Carter, 90% yes
McNeal, 90% no

Don't want to get my hopes up on McNeal, I don't see him coming here.

Concerning McNeal, when I read in some thread that he had been recruiting another player for Oregon, that pretty well sealed the deal for me. Hope I am wrong, but...

I hope you are right concerning Carter. Getting Carter would be a good pick up and the reality is we cannot get them all, regardless of how hard Brew and Crew tries!

Who said they didn't want McNeal and that he was overrated? All I was saying is that I think a quality D-lineman would help this team more. I have never been all about getting all the Minnesota talent. I have never understood that. Yes it is good to get the kids to stay home but if you can bring in talent from elsewhere it is just as good. For some reason kids in state seem to get some kind of rating boosts according to many gopher fans. If Nosa was from Minnesota and McNeal was in Colorado then I think the majority of the people would want Nosa more. Defense wins championships and the most difficult position to fill is D-Line at the college level, that is why I think I'd rather have Nosa at this stage if I had to pick between the two.

Don't generalize from the few folks who make silly claims like over-rated. I think the vast majority of us would be ecstatic to get McNeal, for the reasons mentioned throughout this thread. However, it's also true that the program has progressed to where it's not a debilitating loss if one of the top MN kids goes elsewhere. Brewster has done a good job of getting the vast majority of the top MN players and quality recruits from elsewhere. No one gets all the in-state kids and he is getting the talent to survive the misses.

I also believe the vast majority of fans (myself being one) are coming from the following perspective:

1. Brew has been attracting better recruits and getting some of them
2. they know we cannot get every one of them
3. they do not want the entire football team's future and exsistence dependant on one or two players, even someone like McNeal, or Floyd for that matter.
4. If the players do not want to play in MN, that is there choice, lets move on to another top recruit who does! (A few years ago, we did not have that option):)

Top Bottom