Carr status?

peachpages

Reaction score
Any word on his decision whether to return or stay in draft? Thought yesterday was deadline.

August 3rd or 10 days after the combine, whichever is first is the deadline. I would guess that means August 3rd. Could make for a long few nights for some coaches who have to wait out guys on the fence.

August 3rd or 10 days after the combine, whichever is first is the deadline. I would guess that means August 3rd. Could make for a long few nights for some coaches who have to wait out guys on the fence.
Yes I was wrong! They announced today what you just said!

I'm seeing more starting to drop out. I hope that draft boards have been staying on top of giving these kids evals and feedback so they can make decisions at a quicker time rate than waiting until Aug. 3rd.

If he doesnt come back we are screwed. Gonna be like that year nolen got injured and hoffarber, ahmanisi, etc ran point.

In my opinion if he came back he might have a very small shot at being big 10 player of the year.

August 3rd? Really? So if he leaves, we're just screwed and left with an empty scholarship?

I don't think Carr is one of the 10, but that's just my opinion.

Nothing like making your coaches and teammates sweat it out

Nothing like making your coaches and teammates sweat it out
Pretty sure in today's world both coaches and teammates aren't sweating it out just because you might be. Yes, except for someone who might selfishly be wanting more playing time, everyone wants him back. But it's big time basketball where most players have aspirations of playing after college. And coaches who are going to listen to other offers or know they might be fired are going to be realistic about Carr.

I hope Gach isn't waiting for a Carr decision before he commits. He might get antsy and move on (assuming we're the favorite).

I hope Gach isn't waiting for a Carr decision before he commits. He might get antsy and move on (assuming we're the favorite).
Why would he be? Unless gach wants to come in and completely dominate the ball i wouldnt think it would matter. I am sure the staff has discussed multiple scenarios with him already.

would matter to Gach if he wanted to play for good Big Ten Team

Gach seems to be a pure wing, not a pg or combo guard, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't want to play with a good pg.

Imho, Carr coming back would make it more likely that Gach would want to commit and play with Carr

Why would he be? Unless gach wants to come in and completely dominate the ball i wouldnt think it would matter. I am sure the staff has discussed multiple scenarios with him already.
Just thinking back to a couple of comments I saw from other posters referencing Gach's desire to have the ball in his hands. May or may not be anything to it

Utah fans seem to think Gach left because he wanted time at PG and wouldn’t get it at Utah. Would make sense that he’s waiting on a Carr decision before committing here (or anywhere else). Smart money would be Gach committing to Iowa St. or Auburn as both just graduated senior guards. Still have hope he commits here but the roster we have now might be the final product.

Utah fans seem to think Gach left because he wanted time at PG and wouldn’t get it at Utah. Would make sense that he’s waiting on a Carr decision before committing here (or anywhere else). Smart money would be Gach committing to Iowa St. or Auburn as both just graduated senior guards. Still have hope he commits here but the roster we have now might be the final product.
Just graduating senior guards really has no bearing on Gach at Auburn because he would most likely have to sit out a year there.

There could be a lot of good players available if the NCAA puts the hammer down on all the FBI schools like they did with Ok State. Wouldn’t be a bad idea at all to have a scholarship available late this summer. I can think of 3 wings on Kansas alone that would be helpful to Gophers. Not to mention players from Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Creighton, Louisville, LSU, NC State, South Carolina, TCU, USC, etc.

Last edited:

Just graduating senior guards really has no bearing on Gach at Auburn because he would most likely have to sit out a year there.
Good points. So it could be down to Iowa St and Gophers, both of which would seem likely to get a waiver with him returning close to home.

Good points. So it could be down to Iowa St and Gophers, both of which would seem likely to get a waiver with him returning close to home.
Yup, anywhere else in his top 5 he'd likely have to sit a year. It's potentially a silver-lining if Carr leaves but I'll take another year of Marcus over Gach. I say we just scoop up the #1 PG in Cade Cunningham from Oklahoma State and call it a day.

OKSt PG will be going to Nebby I bet.

Marcus chimes in:

Q: Any new info on Marcus Carr returning to the Gophers? – Gopher Crew (@GopherCrew)

A: The NCAA’s deadline for removing your name as an early entry NBA Draft candidate was originally last Wednesday. That date changed with COVID-19 delaying the actual draft until the fall. Without a set date for the draft, college players who declared such as Carr and Gach have until Aug. 3 or 10 days after the draft combine (whichever comes first) to pull their names out. Richard Pitino doesn’t know for certain if Carr is returning to school but remains in constant contact with his All-Big Ten point guard. There really is no new info. He’s still in Toronto with his family and training. He’s hoping to get feedback from NBA teams on his chances to play at the next level. Carr, who turned 21 last week, is excited about the Gophers’ potential next season. But he also dreams of playing in the NBA. He’ll eventually decide on what’s best for him and his family.

Go Gophers!!

OKSt PG will be going to Nebby I bet.

That would be a major coup for Freddie. Hard for me to see him going to a non blue blood if he doesn't go the G League route.

Marcus chimes in:

Q: Any new info on Marcus Carr returning to the Gophers? – Gopher Crew (@GopherCrew)

A: The NCAA’s deadline for removing your name as an early entry NBA Draft candidate was originally last Wednesday. That date changed with COVID-19 delaying the actual draft until the fall. Without a set date for the draft, college players who declared such as Carr and Gach have until Aug. 3 or 10 days after the draft combine (whichever comes first) to pull their names out. Richard Pitino doesn’t know for certain if Carr is returning to school but remains in constant contact with his All-Big Ten point guard. There really is no new info. He’s still in Toronto with his family and training. He’s hoping to get feedback from NBA teams on his chances to play at the next level. Carr, who turned 21 last week, is excited about the Gophers’ potential next season. But he also dreams of playing in the NBA. He’ll eventually decide on what’s best for him and his family.

Go Gophers!!

That is a lot of words from Marcus to say "I don't know anything"

Top Bottom