Carr in transfer portal

Lets see what happens ... if he doesn't go to the NBA, Duke, Kentucky, etc. it's because he wasn't that good ... if he goes to any of those schools and he doesn't get drafted in the NBA, he wasn't hat good ... don't make this so hard!
Totally disagree with this take. You can be an outstanding college player and not have an NBA career. Has been well discussed on here some of the obstacles that Carr will face in terms of getting to the NBA. But he is a very talented basketball player and will make a lot of money playing basketball somewhere after college, it just might not be the NBA.

I don't think so. Remember, there were multiple games this season where Carr took few shots in the first half and appeared to be more focused on getting others shots. When the team found itself in a deficit in the second half, he would start dominating the offense more. I do think he was a bit too ball dominate and that diminished ball and player movement but ball dominate guards seem to be a general trait of Pitno's offense.
I remember opposite. Games where ball was moving, team playing well, and then Carr started pounding the floor with the ball and everyone just quit and watched. Part of the reason guys didn’t shoot well with him is they never expected to get the ball - he rarely gave the ball up with a purpose, putting his teammate in a position to do something with the ball.

Totally disagree with this take. You can be an outstanding college player and not have an NBA career. Has been well discussed on here some of the obstacles that Carr will face in terms of getting to the NBA. But he is a very talented basketball player and will make a lot of money playing basketball somewhere after college, it just might not be the NBA.
He will have to learn to play as a team member though. He’s talented, but he doesn’t make others better around him. Part of that, a lot of it, is coaching because Pitino never held him accountable to playing differently. Had the same issue at Pitt.

But you realize that the coaching staff was coaching Carr to play like that right? Pitino talked about it on Justin Gaard's podcast. They wanted Carr to run and gun.
Run and fun can still be pass. But yes, Pitino and Carr the issue together, and would be interesting to see how Carr plays with a coach who would hold him accountable. Could be a lot better, or conflict. We’d find out though

Run and fun can still be pass. But yes, Pitino and Carr the issue together, and would be interesting to see how Carr plays with a coach who would hold him accountable. Could be a lot better, or conflict. We’d find out though
Right he can pass it to other guys who can't score. It was a terribly frustrating offense to watch but sadly it was the offense the coaches were fine with and were coaching. Carr in a different system could be a stud.

I remember opposite. Games where ball was moving, team playing well, and then Carr started pounding the floor with the ball and everyone just quit and watched.

You say that you "remember opposite" but then you describe something similar to what I described. More often than not, Carr started really dominating the offense when the team was in critical need of offense (and often in a hole). My original post addressed the question of whether Carr could play any other way and I said that I thought he could because he didn't always play the same way.

One more time: CARR WAS 5TH IN THE B1G IN ASSISTS. 5TH.

On a team that should have been forced to join the Twin Cities Bricklayer Union.

Stop with the ballhog shit. He passed the ball plenty. In fact, The Gophers would have been better off if Carr took EVERY shot, all season, except offensive putbacks and breakaway layups.

This. Can you imagine his assist numbers this past season if our guys could actually make open shots? Huge impact.

FWIW, the Gophers record for assists in a season is 207, held by none other than Marcus Carr. He did that last year, finished 2nd in the B1G and 9th in the country in assists.

Why this year turned out like it did is obviously up for debate.

One more time: CARR WAS 5TH IN THE B1G IN ASSISTS. 5TH.

On a team that should have been forced to join the Twin Cities Bricklayer Union.

Stop with the ballhog shit. He passed the ball plenty. In fact, The Gophers would have been better off if Carr took EVERY shot, all season, except offensive putbacks and breakaway layups.
Yeah, there are some that are acting like Carr was holding his teammates back. There were games where it felt like he was the only player on the Gophers that could score and that if he didn't the team would be down by 50.

He averaged nearly 5 assists a game and if the guys around him could shoot that number probably would have pushed out closer to 10. He absolutely has some flaws in his game and at times played a little too much hero ball, but without him this team would have been blown out in every single game with the way the others around him played.

You can factor in the poor shooters but you have to factor in the heavy minutes as well. I wonder what his minutes were compared to other pg’s.

You can factor in the poor shooters but you have to factor in the heavy minutes as well. I wonder what his minutes were compared to other pg’s.
Super quick search in the stats on Bigten.org shows this:

Carr - 35.8 min a game (#1 in conference) 4.9 assists per game average (#3 in conference)
Dosunmo - 35.1 min a game (#2 in conference) 5.3 assists per game (#2 in conference)

So yeah, Carr played heavy minutes (because he had to) but there were a number of guys in the Big Ten over 30 minutes a game and I would guess a lot of those guys were point guards but not going to go through each one.

If your argument against Carr is that he has a ballhog mentality, then you aren't seeing the whole picture. He was surrounded by inefficient scorers and below-average shooters this year (outside of Liam). Yes, Carr held on to the ball a lot, and at times way too much, but it was pretty clear that he lost trust in his teammates. There were times in the second halves of games where you could see it in his body language. I don't like the offense that we ran, but Carr trying to make something happen was pretty much the best (and sometimes only) way this team was scoring for much of the season.

Put him on a team with better options (and shooters!), and watch him become an efficient player. Bet he cuts down on the dribbling quite a bit too. I will agree that he needs to play better defense though.

Last edited:

Super quick search in the stats on Bigten.org shows this:

Carr - 35.8 min a game (#1 in conference) 4.9 assists per game average (#3 in conference)
Dosunmo - 35.1 min a game (#2 in conference) 5.3 assists per game (#2 in conference)

So yeah, Carr played heavy minutes (because he had to) but there were a number of guys in the Big Ten over 30 minutes a game and I would guess a lot of those guys were point guards but not going to go through each one.
Carr was a great player for us. However, the massive difference between him and Ayo is this:

Ayo FG% 48.8% 3 PT FG % 38.6%
Carr FG% 38.5% 3 PT FG % 31.7%

That 10% shooting gap is pretty big in terms of winning and losing

Carr was very good, but could not find a guy in the post or a screener rolling to the basket to save his life. His vision seemed worse this year on fast breaks. I think a lot of his success or failure was determined by coaching, it seems as though he works very hard on his game.

Pick and roll he was bad. Robbins would dive to the hoop waiving his hands jumping up and down. Carr either didn’t see him which is not good or saw him and didn’t pass it which is not good. Gophers ran a ton of pick and roll. I have said Carr is a good player who could have been better. At times Carr was his own worst enemy at times teammates didn’t make shots and the coach gave him free reign. No accountability. Sums up Golden Gopher Basketball.

Pick and roll he was bad. Robbins would dive to the hoop waiving his hands jumping up and down. Carr either didn’t see him which is not good or saw him and didn’t pass it which is not good. Gophers ran a ton of pick and roll. I have said Carr is a good player who could have been better. At times Carr was his own worst enemy at times teammates didn’t make shots and the coach gave him free reign. No accountability. Sums up Golden Gopher Basketball.
It's hard to pass to someone when there is a 6'10 guy constantly doubling you. Any pass he tries to float over the top is picked off by 1 of 3 other guys leaving their man because they could afford to leave them as none could make shots.

Our offense had serious issues but its the offense our coaches designed...it wasn't Carr.

If Carr was going off game plan and playing that style of game even Pitino would have chewed his ass or pulled him for mini stretches. The fact that he didn't showed that the high pick and roll was the only offense he thought we were capable of running. Problem was any high school coach could see that and it was super easy to defend after a bit.

Carr was a great player for us. However, the massive difference between him and Ayo is this:

Ayo FG% 48.8% 3 PT FG % 38.6%
Carr FG% 38.5% 3 PT FG % 31.7%

That 10% shooting gap is pretty big in terms of winning and losing
Ayo is clearly the better player of the two, was only using the minutes and assist numbers to confirm that Carr's total was not 100% driven by playing way more minutes than other players.

Guys were open. Running the pick and roll is an artform. People doubled Cassius Winston all the time he found the open man for lobs. Winston great vision, willling passer and anticipated the double. Opponent guards got the ball ovet Robbins in pick and roll.

Pick and roll is hard to defend if run correctly. See the game bruh

Carr may be the #1 player in the portal.

He is surely one of, if not THE top guard. People trying to discredit him shouldn't try so hard. Under the leadership of a strong coach on a good team, it is my opinion that this guy will be even better than he was here.

Pick and roll is hard to defend if run correctly. See the game bruh
Agree. Pick and roll can be very effective. Problem was it was our only option...and I mean only option (especially when Robbins went down). Gophers could have been so much better offensively this year.

We have no idea what the “new rules” will be. They throw in curve balls at the last minute all the time. For instance: lots of steam for free transfer if your coach is fired.
Easily could be one season of freedom for everybody no matter the situation. Lots of unknowns. Soon to be determined.

Top Bottom