Carr- Foot Injury

BADGER circa January, 2020:

"How do i reconcile what then since Bo is not my guy, just a great coach. I know very well that Pitino is not his dad and respect his dad only for basketball teaching ability. His son. i respect as a being a decent person which is ultimately more important than coaching but he is a long way from being considered a great coach. This came up because , once again someone spoke for me calling Bo my guy. Numerous posts over the years by me stating that i never liked Bo Ryan as a person, know a lot about him. But i can see what a great coach he was, highest winning % in conference history is a incredible achievement and he recruited clean. Master teacher."

Does anyone on GH believe ONE WORD from BADGER?

Which is it, BADGER?

You're a bit of a psycho dude. Take a break.

I listened to the Gopher Basketball Weekly podcast that this info came from this morning.

- Starts off the show talking about injuries specifically Gabe and Liam. He talks about Marcus Carr not practicing 2 days in a row (not that he hasn't practiced in 2 days) and the Curry doesn't practice 2 days in a row.

Edit: this probably isn't as clear as I'd like it to be: Marcus has a foot thing that they are "monitoring" and he's not practicing back to back days. So it doesn't sound particularly new or particularly different than probably what some other guys who play heavy minutes elsewhere probably are doing for maintenance at this point in the season.

- Gaard and Grimm finally get him to talk some specifics of the game. Gaard (who is a massive defender of Pitino to a comical level) asks him a question about Illinois seemingly turning up their defensive pressure late in the first half and Pitino seems to get a little annoyed/irritated (at least to my ear due to his tone and kind of cutting off Gaard) and goes back to Liam being injured and having no post presence.

- There was talk about Mashburn Jr's dad being in attendance for the first time and some talk about Jamal's game.

- Injuries. Again. Gaard asks if Liam's situation is similar to Dupree's where he was in a walking boot and not practicing but playing in games. Pitino says the situation now reminds him of 3 years ago when "Reggie QUIT school, Amir had surgery..." Yes, he actually said Reggie quit school.

- More discussion about injuries and then being limited in practice. Hunt was sick, so they had nobody to simulate Illinois guards, they don't have enough guys to play 5 on 5. Andre Hollins tore his achilles, he's not going to put Jarvis out there and so he had Jeff Mailhot (sp? the assistant coach) out there. My questions here...why do you only have one walkon'? Why did you construct your roster in a way that you have so many bigs and so few guards?

- Then he took his Baghdad Bob like description of his resume at Minnesota to a whole new level. He repeated the insanity that they would have made the tournament last season if they won two more games in the Big Ten tournament. He then claimed they were a bubble team in year 1 (true) and year 2 (WHAT?) so they really were only not competing for a spot in 2 seasons during his tenure. Of course Grimm or Gaard would never challenge him on this (and to be fair it's not really their role on that type of show).
Someone feels his seat bursting into flames.

I hate excuses as much as the next guy but injuries are factual and will effect the team. Don't get me wrong. After the gauntlet we went through and succeed early in January and knowing what we had remaining, you sure would have never said they would go 2-6. I'm pretty confident Pitino is collecting moving boxes. H

Never respected him. It must be next man up, your all trained for this etc... Excuses are soft and do not build trust. We all know injuries affect results. He is suppose to lead the team not cover his own ass.
Lmao you are soft if you think someone saying a fact is so upsetting. "We are getting hit with injuries at the wrong time." Do you think its the right time to get hit with injuries at the end of year, when you know, you play the games that determine whether you reach your ultimate goal?

I hate excuses as much as the next guy but injuries are factual and will effect the team. Don't get me wrong. After the gauntlet we went through and succeed early in January and knowing what we had remaining, you sure would have never said they would go 2-6. I'm pretty confident Pitino is collecting moving boxes. H
Exactly what I'm saying. Its factual, and its also factual that one statement didn't change his body of work as it still sucks and still lacks any semblance of consistency.

Lmao you are soft if you think someone saying a fact is so upsetting. "We are getting hit with injuries at the wrong time." Do you think its the right time to get hit with injuries at the end of year, when you know, you play the games that determine whether you reach your ultimate goal?
BADGER is being dishonest yet again. He has had an agenda with rp. For a long time.

No, it's not ideal. But then win when you have em. Every team goes through this.

Maryland, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana. You had to win 2 of those games. You lost all 4. And not only lost but you got pounded a few times.
Next man up is correct. You are going to take lumps now most likely. The problem was losing beforehand winnable games.

I'm curious how long Robbins was actually in pain and obviously it was getting worse.

RP should have sat him down right away and let him heal regardless of Robbins wanting to play.

Gaard (who is a massive defender of Pitino to a comical level) asks him a question about Illinois seemingly turning up their defensive pressure late in the first half and Pitino seems to get a little annoyed/irritated (at least to my ear due to his tone and kind of cutting off Gaard) and goes back to Liam being injured and having no post presence.

Grimm and Gaard would never challenge him on this (and to be fair it's not really their role on that type of show).

I heard it live yesterday, and it was crazy. Gaard was simply asking about what makes Illinois defense so good and Pitino responds with something like "well, going against a team with two starters out helps, you guys keep forgetting that like it doesn't matter (or something to that effect)." Gaard then actually barks back something like "I'm not forgetting about anything, I'm asking about the Illinois defense."

Pitino seemed a bit defensive about defenses.

No, it's not ideal. But then win when you have em. Every team goes through this.

Maryland, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana. You had to win 2 of those games. You lost all 4. And not only lost but you got pounded a few times.
Next man up is correct. You are going to take lumps now most likely. The problem was losing beforehand winnable games.
Following your logic: if you don't get hurt, you will win games, if only that was the case. If the problem was losing the game beforehand, not sure why this would cause a strong reaction. I do agree that losing beforehand was the problem, but do not get why people are so rattled over someone stating a fact and trying to spin it.

Excuse or not Pitino has to recognize his job is on the line here. Make the tournament and odds are better that he keeps his job while missing it puts odds that he likely doesn't. No guarantee either way but missing it has to be the death blow to his job here and he needs to realize excuses won't likely change that.

If the same team has "bad luck" every year - is it really "bad luck" or is there something else going on?

The thing with harping on injuries is that almost all teams deal with injuries to some extent.

the way some of the Pitino defenders tell it, you would think the Gophers are the only team in D1 that has ever lost key players due to injury.

Sure - acknowledge it - and then move on. come up with the best game plan for the next opponent based on who is available to play.

Excuse or not Pitino has to recognize his job is on the line here. Make the tournament and odds are better that he keeps his job while missing it puts odds that he likely doesn't. No guarantee either way but missing it has to be the death blow to his job here and he needs to realize excuses won't likely change that.

I just don't see making the tourney as the end all litmus test, I prefer to use performance during the season as a better judge, sure making the tourney is an indicator of how the season went but not completely. Pitino has failed on so many levels this year even if he makes the tourney. I'm starting to think of him like I did Monson, defense is a something you hope is good enough to get you by. That will never win the B1G title though.

Pitino's problem is the team stunk it up the last few weeks and put himself on a very hot seat. Had we took care of some business and been ranked and fighting for a top 4 spot in the Big Ten right now we'd all be crying "Why us?!?!" right along with him.
It's his MO when things go poorly....He has done it for years....Never blames his poor gameplans or in-game adjustments or poor recruiting....It's injuries, practice facilities, lack of administration help, etc....He seems as desperate as ever because he knows it almost over.

If the same team has "bad luck" every year - is it really "bad luck" or is there something else going on?

The thing with harping on injuries is that almost all teams deal with injuries to some extent.

the way some of the Pitino defenders tell it, you would think the Gophers are the only team in D1 that has ever lost key players due to injury.

Sure - acknowledge it - and then move on. come up with the best game plan for the next opponent based on who is available to play.
Never bet on a loser because you think his luck is bound to change.

Troll meaning you had an opportunity provide YOUR choices if a change is made. You chose not to.

Telling.
The coaches I like have been talked about ad nauseam on this site...It's fun speculation but ultimately pointless...Coyle is gonna do what he is going to do.

The coaches I like have been talked about ad nauseam on this site...It's fun speculation but ultimately pointless...Coyle is gonna do what he is going to do.
Of course, so you wont list your top 5 in order?

Pat Riley's coaching style with the Knicks would work very well in the B1G.

My top 5:
1. Musselman
2. Medved
3. Smith
4. Belien
5. Dutcher - If i'm going "old" i'm going for Belein or Belien , however he wants it on the checks.

Following your logic: if you don't get hurt, you will win games, if only that was the case. If the problem was losing the game beforehand, not sure why this would cause a strong reaction. I do agree that losing beforehand was the problem, but do not get why people are so rattled over someone stating a fact and trying to spin it.

No, all I am saying is it's not the injuries that have them where they are right now. It is playing bad in winnable games.

It's fine if he wants to spin this all he wants. The fact of the matter is, his teams throughout his tenure has been a Big Ten doormat. His road record is horrendous as well. He really doesn't have anything to hang his hat on except "bad luck" "injuries" "things out of his control". :rolleyes:

Top Bottom