Carpenter 2009 = Pittman 2008?

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Hayo didn't make it on the field against Syracuse. If Carpenter doesn't see the field against the AFA, a team whose weakness is pass defense, I think we can write him off as another overhyped JUCO that contributes nothing. I'm not overy upset since I think we already have a solid recieving core set up for the next few years, but it's wierd how JUCO guys can get so much press then end up contributing nothing meaningful.

Pittman was a JUCO QB who was trying to figure out his way at a different position. Hayo was a stud JUCO receiver who is still playing receiver. Their situations are completely different.

That's not to say Hayo won't end up making a small impact (which I highly doubt), but the guy did just get in around July, give him a few games to get his feet under him. He still obviously has to learn the offense still. If come conference play he's still only seeing a few plays, then I would worry.

He still looks tentative to me, even in the Gameday preview, but as the old saying goes time heals everything. give him time and experience and hopefully breaks through and provides us a deep threat to take pressure off the run game and coverage away from Decker...

Hayo didn't make it on the field against Syracuse. If Carpenter doesn't see the field against the AFA, a team whose weakness is pass defense, I think we can write him off as another overhyped JUCO that contributes nothing. I'm not overy upset since I think we already have a solid recieving core set up for the next few years, but it's wierd how JUCO guys can get so much press then end up contributing nothing meaningful.

I think you're too quick to judge and write somebody off. Hayo wasn't here for spring or summer captain's practices which puts him behind on learning the offense. It takes a receiver time to get up to speed on making reads and adjusting routes to the coverage. If you look back to last year it took until the Purdue game (8th game/9th week due to bye) before the new WR's like Green made any impact. We're deep at WR so there is no point in putting a player out there that isn't ready just because he is talented.

We know that Hayo is already ahead of Pittman on the depth chart from watching the fall scrimmage. My guess is that as the season progresses and the coaches are comfortable with his grasp of the offense you'll see him on the field.

Way too early to make that assessment.

this would have seemed like the perfect redshirt scenario. why waste a year of eligability when the guy spends half of the year making the adjustment from JC to D1??? seems like it would make a heck of a lot more sense on boths sides.

How is it way to early? Predictions on this board put Hayo down for 700 yards and 5 TDs and that was on the low end. No one can honestly expect that kind of production now that he didn't even see the field in game one.

How is it way to early? Predictions on this board put Hayo down for 700 yards and 5 TDs and that was on the low end. No one can honestly expect that kind of production now that he didn't even see the field in game one.

Ah yes, our predictions here should be the measuring stick. Especially since they were made on assumptions such as he would instantly pick up the offense.

I think not seeing Gray or Carpenter *AT ALL* against Air Force will raise an eyebrow or 2.......

thats all they are. just predictions a message board. as much as we all like to think we have the answer or know a lot the reality is this is just a fun place to have some water cooler talk. decker said on the radio a few days back that he is still learning the system and will see plenty of action as he understands the offense better.

even so 700 yards and 5 TDs is still very possible even if he doesnt see the ball much in this next game. it just takes 2 big games and he is back on track for whoever made that prediction.

I think not seeing Gray or Carpenter *AT ALL* against Air Force will raise an eyebrow or 2.......

Only if you think its a good idea to put an untested freshman and his special package of plays and a juco transfer who doesn't appear to have fully grasped the new offense into a close game where our offensive line is playing like crap, we lack a consistent running game, and we have no offensive rhythm.

Only if you think its a good idea to put an untested freshman and his special package of plays and a juco transfer who doesn't appear to have fully grasped the new offense into a close game where our offensive line is playing like crap, we lack a consistent running game, and we have no offensive rhythm.

I didn't think our run game was inconsistent against Syracuse, atleast not when Bennett was in the game. Bennett averaged 4.9 yds per carry against the Orange. As inaccurate as Weber was I was disappointed that we weren't running more. If I were OC Bennett would have ended up with 20+ carries.

I didn't think our run game was inconsistent against Syracuse, atleast not when Bennett was in the game. Bennett averaged 4.9 yds per carry against the Orange. As inaccurate as Weber was I was disappointed that we weren't running more. If I were OC Bennett would have ended up with 20+ carries.

The key to this game will no doubt be a time of possession battle. We need to keep the defense fresh, running the ball will be absolutely crutial.

Our Offense looked confused out there last game, I don't see putting Gray in for a couple plays making a huge difference for the negative. Pryor came in last year and looked pretty good against us didn't he? How will we know if we don't test the waters because it's not like our Offense is that impressive to begin with.......

The obvious-our highly touted playmakers can't make plays unless they are in the game!! throw 'em in there brew! keep it simple, make it difficult, who cares, just give 'em the damn ball and let them do their thing. we need to see more of the wild gopher formation too...any of those young guys can run that. It's gotta happen-this week, to keep the cadets on their heels and off balance.

Our Offense looked confused out there last game, I don't see putting Gray in for a couple plays making a huge difference for the negative. Pryor came in last year and looked pretty good against us didn't he? How will we know if we don't test the waters because it's not like our Offense is that impressive to begin with.......

1) Pryor was the starter by the time we played OSU.
2) I don't think a close game where your offense is struggling is a good time to "test the waters" with a frosh QB.

Whoa. Let's just take a step back and relax for a minute. It's been one game and already people want to say that if he doesn't do this or do that against Air Force, he's going to contribute nothing? Regardless of what the predictions were either on this board or on ESPN or anywhere else, that's all they were: people's opinions. Can we respectfully hold off on the "Hayo is a bust" talk for at least four or five games?

Way too early to make that assessment.

No kidding, but a lot of people do it. After watching the Syracuse game my old college roommate phones me and says that the Gopher team is the "same old, same old". I told him to give me and the team a break, and that if it were the "same old, same old," we would have lost that game. I still think that if we can handle the option we will be OK vs. the Falcons. We struggled the first game, but won, and I think are in great shape to play a good second game. The Cal game is one that I have little hope of winning, but thats a week away and right now its all about the AFA. Go Gophers!

Okay I kept searching Gopherhole for this interview but then I realized the interview I was remembering was from gophersports.com. I may be jumping to conclusions but look at the numbers Hayo himself said he was shooting for back in the spring:

GopherSports.com: What are your goals for your first season with the Gophers?
Hayo Carpenter: I am shooting for 1,800 yards and 12 touchdowns for my first year with the Gophers.

Full Interview Here

What is your point?? He has high expectations for himself. Would you feel better if he said, 'I want to catch 4 ball for 27 yards'?

Again, lets give him a few (half dozen or so, at least) games before we make conclusions.

Okay I kept searching Gopherhole for this interview but then I realized the interview I was remembering was from gophersports.com. I may be jumping to conclusions but look at the numbers Hayo himself said he was shooting for back in the spring:

Hayo Carpenter: I am shooting for 1,800 yards and 12 touchdowns for my first year with the Gophers.

Full Interview Here

Well obviously that's a realistic goal given the fact that the all time record for receiving yards in a season is 1,125 and Decker's best is 1,074 (even with Weber throwing to him all the time). The 12 TD's would also be a school record. And since Decker is still here as the #1 option both of these are obviously very likely to happen. :rolleyes:

So what I'd take away from this is that Hayo is confident. I would not try to use these ridiculous goals as a measuring stick.

1) Pryor was the starter by the time we played OSU.
2) I don't think a close game where your offense is struggling is a good time to "test the waters" with a frosh QB.

Coaching scared will get you nowhere, 1 drive wouldn't have hurt and who's to say Gray wouldn't have came in a possibly changed the game in our favor?

So what? Wait til' we play South Dakota State to "test" Gray? Or wait til' we're down 4 scores against Cal?

Full Interview Here

If your expectations for him are 1,800 yards and 12 TD's then it isn't too early to call him a failure. When I read the interview initially I laughed and thought if he got half of that I would be ecstatic.

I cant believe people are even talking about this. Its been one freaking game everyone. Relax. Hayo will be fine. Gray will play here and there. It was the first D1 game for both of those guys. Let them get adjusted and learn the system more. Everyone says what is the harm in not letting them play against syracuse. What if Hayo runs the wrong route and Weber throws a pick, or if Gray panicks and throws a pick. Both situations could have cost them the game. While i dont think we should wait till we are way up or way down in a game to let some of the guys loose. I dont think, playing their first game on the road, in a close game would have been the best choice. Even Pryor didnt play a whole lot at the beginning of the year last year. And in my opinion, Weber is better than the QB that Ohio State had starting last year, and even if we dont want to admit it, there is a reason why Pryor was the number 1 recruit and Gray wasnt. Gray is an unbelievable talent, which fans in this state are not used to, and might be a bit anxios to see him play. Just relax, cause we all know that after he throws a couple incompletions in a row, this whole board will be about how overated he is, and how Alipate could play over him in 2 years. Nothing is ever good enough, and if i can quote Jim Mora i belive, "The negativity in this town sucks"

Coaching scared will get you nowhere, 1 drive wouldn't have hurt and who's to say Gray wouldn't have came in a possibly changed the game in our favor?

So what? Wait til' we play South Dakota State to "test" Gray? Or wait til' we're down 4 scores against Cal?

IMO its coaching smart. This is the FIRST game. Your starter is playing like complete crap. If you pull him for a series to play the frosh you do a couple of things. 1) You take away what little rhythm your starter has (and Weber wasn't showing much) and 2) You're saying you have no confidence in him and start up a QB controversy. So yes, IMO it would have hurt.

Also, Gray's package of plays is supposed to be a change of pace from Weber. I ask (again) why you would want to put a true frosh in against a hostile crowd with a special play package when the O-line isn't playing well and the receivers not named Decker aren't always running the correct routes? If you can't run your base offense its really not wise to start running special packages. If we were stalling because Syracuse was shutting down our base offense I might agree with you. Then the change of pace is arguably required. But we were struggling due more to self inflicted errors (penalties, poor line play, poor route running, Weber throwing it short) then due to the dominance of the Syracuse D.

IMO its coaching smart. This is the FIRST game. Your starter is playing like complete crap. If you pull him for a series to play the frosh you do a couple of things. 1) You take away what little rhythm your starter has (and Weber wasn't showing much) and 2) You're saying you have no confidence in him and start up a QB controversy. So yes, IMO it would have hurt.

Also, Gray's package of plays is supposed to be a change of pace from Weber. I ask (again) why you would want to put a true frosh in against a hostile crowd with a special play package when the O-line isn't playing well and the receivers not named Decker aren't always running the correct routes? If you can't run your base offense its really not wise to start running special packages. If we were stalling because Syracuse was shutting down our base offense I might agree with you. Then the change of pace is arguably required. But we were struggling due more to self inflicted errors (penalties, poor line play, poor route running, Weber throwing it short) then due to the dominance of the Syracuse D.

Is Brewster trying to spare Adam Weber's feelings or win Football Games? And 1 possession to answer the question wouldn't have hurt, hell, one of those quick 3 & Outs would've done it. Either you put Gray in and he makes a difference or he doesn't plain & simple.

We're already headed towards a QB Controversy if you can't tell.......

Is Brewster trying to spare Adam Weber's feelings or win Football Games? And 1 possession to answer the question wouldn't have hurt, hell, one of those quick 3 & Outs would've done it. Either you put Gray in and he makes a difference or he doesn't plain & simple.

So, if Gray had gone out there and thrown a pick 6 that wouldn't have hurt? And you ask whether he's trying to win football games, well, he did just that last Saturday? So what's the issue?

and of course one possession with Gray would have answered all the questions :clap:

We're all going to be friends again...

in 2 days, 34 minutes. Maybe a few hours earlier, given the divine splendor that is tailgating.

Top Bottom