Carlton Littlejohn??

stonecold

Reaction score
I've seen this guy in the paper from time to time. He's seem to be an outstanding young man and a great athlete. He was a 4 year starter at MPLS North High School on both sides of the ball and i was wondering if the Gophers showed any interest in him? From what I've read he's a nice size athlete (6'2" 205lbs). He's also coached by former gopher receiver Tony Patterson.

others will know way more than i, but if the "u" was looking at him, it was likely as a recruited walk-on as i never heard his name linked to a possible schollie. i believe he's going to ndsu, as you're probably aware of.

From reading previous posts, he was offered a preferred walk-on spot at the U, but took the scholarship from NDSU. Can't really blame him especially, and this is just throwing this out there and probably profiling, considering he goes to Minneapolis North, that free college is better then trying to pay for it....

From reading previous posts, he was offered a preferred walk-on spot at the U, but took the scholarship from NDSU. Can't really blame him especially, and this is just throwing this out there and probably profiling, considering he goes to Minneapolis North, that free college is better then trying to pay for it....

:confused:

Regardless of one's socioeconomic background, free is generally better than (not then) paying.

I don't see the reason to bring this type of profiling into this discussion.

:confused:

Regardless of one's socioeconomic background, free is generally better than (not then) paying.

I don't see the reason to bring this type of profiling into this discussion.

If Minnesota was more successful, I think more of these kids would pass up the schollie to NDSU and take a chance to earn one at The U. Winning goes a long way to fixing some of these issues.

If Minnesota was more successful, I think more of these kids would pass up the schollie to NDSU and take a chance to earn one at The U. Winning goes a long way to fixing some of these issues.

This is true. But it is true for Minnesota kids of all incomes and races.

Again, no need to bring socioeconomic status into this.

It is and it isn't. He may want to walk on to the U, but if the only way he knows he can pay for college is by getting a nice scholarship to play elsewhere, then thats what he will do.

As opposed to say a walk on from again somewhat sterotypically, Edina or Eden Prairie, where most likely he will be in a much better solution to have help with his tuition if he wanted to talk on to the U rather then needing to take the scholarship where it is offered.

I don't know if that applied to Littlejohn or not, but you are completely misguided if you don't think it doesn't affect other inner city kids whether at the U or another urban University....

It is and it isn't. He may want to walk on to the U, but if the only way he knows he can pay for college is by getting a nice scholarship to play elsewhere, then thats what he will do.

As opposed to say a walk on from again somewhat sterotypically, Edina or Eden Prairie, where most likely he will be in a much better solution to have help with his tuition if he wanted to talk on to the U rather then needing to take the scholarship where it is offered.

I don't know if that applied to Littlejohn or not, but you are completely misguided if you don't think it doesn't affect other inner city kids whether at the U or another urban University....

There are no poor kids in Edina or Eden Prairie.

There are no rich kids in Minneapolis.

I was unaware of this previously.

Absolutely agree. I should have quoted the OP instead of you.

There are no poor kids in Edina or Eden Prairie.

There are no rich kids in Minneapolis.

I was unaware of this previously.

You really are a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....

I said sterotypically. Yes there are poor kids in the burbs. Yes there are rich kids in MInneapolis, but I'll bet you the MAJORITY of kids going to Edina and or EP, and the MAJORITY of kids going to Minneapolis North fall into those sterotypes.

Forget the cities at all for all I care....the major point I'm making is if you don't think there are some kids who would probably rather walk on to the U, or another major urban university but are taking scholarships elsewhere due to their family's finalcial hardships, then you are less in touch with reality then I thought...

Now please take my main argument and make some tangential post about one minor thing in my post again...you know how everyone on this board loves how you do that over and over again....

You really are a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....

I said sterotypically. Yes there are poor kids in the burbs. Yes there are rich kids in MInneapolis, but I'll bet you the MAJORITY of kids going to Edina and or EP, and the MAJORITY of kids going to Minneapolis North fall into those sterotypes.

Forget the cities at all for all I care....the major point I'm making is if you don't think there are some kids who would probably rather walk on to the U, or another major urban university but are taking scholarships elsewhere due to their family's finalcial hardships, then you are less in touch with reality then I thought...

Now please take my main argument and make some tangential post about one minor thing in my post again...you know how everyone on this board loves how you do that over and over again....

Why did you feel the need to bring his socioeconomic status into it? You could have very easily made your point without doing so. Could it be because you wanted to make a thinly-veiled remark of some sort? I, for one, don't appreciate it.

Your point is that poor kids are more likely to want free rides. First of all, duh. And second of all, once again, that point can be made without alluding to other things, as you are clearly doing.

And, lastly, do you know the Littlejohn family personally? They could be wealthy industrialists for all you know. But no, because they're from the po' side of town, little Carlton couldn't possibly attend college if he had to pay tuition. You know what they say about assuming.

Why did you feel the need to bring his socioeconomic status into it? You could have very easily made your point without doing so. Could it be because you wanted to make a thinly-veiled remark of some sort? I, for one, don't appreciate it.

Your point is that poor kids are more likely to want free rides. First of all, duh. And second of all, once again, that point can be made without alluding to other things, as you are clearly doing.

And, lastly, do you know the Littlejohn family personally? They could be wealthy industrialists for all you know. But no, because they're from the po' side of town, little Carlton couldn't possibly attend college if he had to pay tuition. You know what they say about assuming.

You're allready an ass, so we don't need to worry about you...

Have you actually ever set foot in Minneapolis North High School? I think if you had, you would have a totally different perspective on this, but I'm going to assume, since you like to harp on me about that that you have not....

I'm done with this, my point's been made. But please, look into every crevasse between each one of the letters in my words and find my intent. I'm sure everyone will be hanging on thier last threads waiting for you to psycho-analyze another post....

Oh..and one more thing. Please work on your reading comprehension, because you clearly missed over where I wrote this a few posts back in your blatent need to try and find the "thinly veiled remark" in my post:

You're allready an ass, so we don't need to worry about you...

Have you actually ever set foot in Minneapolis North High School? I think if you had, you would have a totally different perspective on this, but I'm going to assume, since you like to harp on me about that that you have not....

I'm done with this, my point's been made. But please, look into every crevasse between each one of the letters in my words and find my intent. I'm sure everyone will be hanging on thier last threads waiting for you to psycho-analyze another post....

I am a licensed secondary educator, and though I have been out of the game for a few years now, I used to substitute teach at many schools. There is certainly a "vibe" at each and every school, but I would never say "So-and-so is from _________, therefore he/she is _______." You admitted yourself that it is stereotyping, so why even bring it up? It serves absolutely no purpose other than, like I said, to not-so-subtly jab a certain group of individuals. Since that was your intent, well played. You have shown that you are better than them. Congratulations.

If you knew him personally, and knew anything about his situation at all, then of course bring it up. But since you don't, you're throwing blanket statements on a group, and assuming those traits to be true of a certain individual from that group. Have you ever heard of a "fallacy of division"? Go look it up, educate yourself, and then engage your brain before you click on that "submit reply" button.

I am a licensed secondary educator, and though I have been out of the game for a few years now, I used to substitute teach at many schools. There is certainly a "vibe" at each and every school, but I would never say "So-and-so is from _________, therefore he/she is _______."

I am a licensed secondary teacher as well. I've taught in the Minneapolis Public Schools (Patrick Henry) and in the Denver Public Schools (and now a private school in Pasadena). I can say first hand that North High is perceived to be the dregs of the Minneapolis Public Schools -- in fact, they have tried to close it. Enrollment has dwindled to a fraction of its capacity. If you live in Minneapolis and have options to send your student elsewhere than North, you absolutely do that. Why do you think Cooper, Armstrong, Edina etc. receive so many students from Minneapolis districts?

I don't know why you feel such a need to be antagonistic...I know first hand from having athletes in my classes that come from poor families - they will take any scholarship offer over an opportunity to pay your own way. The earlier poster was just trying to point that out in a way that showed he realized it could be misconstrued as being demeaning but he did not intend it that way. Instead, you did your best to interpret it as an insult. Sigh...

Walking on when you could get a scholarship somewhere else is a luxury. The great majority of people would have to at least think pretty hard about it before turning down a scholarship. It's not just city kids either, there are an awful lot of people out in rural areas who couldn't afford to turn down a scholarship offer.

I am a licensed secondary educator, and though I have been out of the game for a few years now, I used to substitute teach at many schools. There is certainly a "vibe" at each and every school, but I would never say "So-and-so is from _________, therefore he/she is _______." You admitted yourself that it is stereotyping, so why even bring it up? It serves absolutely no purpose other than, like I said, to not-so-subtly jab a certain group of individuals. Since that was your intent, well played. You have shown that you are better than them. Congratulations.

If you knew him personally, and knew anything about his situation at all, then of course bring it up. But since you don't, you're throwing blanket statements on a group, and assuming those traits to be true of a certain individual from that group. Have you ever heard of a "fallacy of division"? Go look it up, educate yourself, and then engage your brain before you click on that "submit reply" button.

Talk about making something out of nothing. Why don't you get on NPR and discuss the horrors of profiling on the GopherHole.

Why do some of you clowns feel the need to torpedo every thread and make it about something other than it is? If you feel someone makes an inappropriate comment, you could always just ignore it rather than puffing out your chest and posting some antagonistic response to hijack the thread.

Here's a thought. Rather than responding to posts that maybe aren't the most well-thoughtout, you could always just respond to the original post and keep it on topic.

Just a thought.

Here's a thought. Rather than responding to posts that maybe aren't the most well-thoughtout, you could always just respond to the original post and keep it on topic.

That's a rather novel idea. It will probably shorten the threads up quite a bit, though.

Brewster missed out on another good MN kid. For some reason he thinks kids from TX automatically are two stars better than any MN kid.
As a Bison fan first and Gopher fan second I don't mind I guess. Funny how the Gophers have overlooked so much talent that ended up at NDSU, UNI, SDSU and lost talent to WI and other D1 programs.

Brewster missed out on another good MN kid. For some reason he thinks kids from TX automatically are two stars better than any MN kid.
As a Bison fan first and Gopher fan second I don't mind I guess. Funny how the Gophers have overlooked so much talent that ended up at NDSU, UNI, SDSU and lost talent to WI and other D1 programs.

As much as I want to, I'm just going to let someone else bite the hook on this one....

Walking on when you could get a scholarship somewhere else is a luxury. The great majority of people would have to at least think pretty hard about it before turning down a scholarship. It's not just city kids either, there are an awful lot of people out in rural areas who couldn't afford to turn down a scholarship offer.

Seriously.

dpodoll68, please step down from your soapbox. There's no need for your self-righteous attitude in this thread. The point of the original comment was just to highlight the fact that as a walk-on you have to pay, and as a scholarship athlete you don't. I know you aren't dumb enough to miss this blatant fact. Rarely do walk-ons make an impact at BCS programs, and if you couple that with the fact that there is a different financial situation tied to each opportunity, the kid's decision makes sense.

So enough with the socio-economic righteous already.

CARLTON LITTLEJOHN MADE THE RIGHT DECISION.

End of story! What a longwinded waste of a thread. :-(
Take your soapboxes and socialbabble elsewhere, PLEASE, and stop insulting this young man and his family.

Seriously.

dpodoll68, please step down from your soapbox. There's no need for your self-righteous attitude in this thread. The point of the original comment was just to highlight the fact that as a walk-on you have to pay, and as a scholarship athlete you don't. I know you aren't dumb enough to miss this blatant fact. Rarely do walk-ons make an impact at BCS programs, and if you couple that with the fact that there is a different financial situation tied to each opportunity, the kid's decision makes sense.

So enough with the socio-economic righteous already.

The hilarity of it is that the post you quoted (and thus obviously agree with) stated the exact same thing as I did.

Well played.

The hilarity of it is that the post you quoted (and thus obviously agree with) stated the exact same thing as I did.

Well played.

What's even more funny is that the same message can be found in the quote you apparently took offense to: "that free college is better then trying to pay for it....".

Well played indeed. You took the opportunity to be self-righteous. Congrats!

:clap:

What's even more funny is that the same message can be found in the quote you apparently took offense to: "that free college is better then trying to pay for it....".

Well played indeed. You took the opportunity to be self-righteous. Congrats!

:clap:

Interesting. I was unaware that we had to either agree with an entire post, or disagree with it entirely.

Here, I always thought that we could take individual statements and address them on their own merits. For example, in the past, had someone posted, "Minnesota is awesome. Adam Weber is a good QB.", I could have agreed with the first, and took issue with the latter. But now, since I must either agree or disagree with the entire post, I will have to change my stance.

Regrettably, I must now admit that Adam Weber is a good QB.

Thank you for enlightening me in regards to this new posting paradigm! I will be sure to employ it forthwith.

Oh, I'll bite. Why do you guys get so excited because someone takes a scholarship offer at NDSU when he had only walk on offers elsewhere? I know you guys like to spin it as having "beaten" Minnesota out of a recruit, but that takes a lot of spin. He didn't have offers elsewhere, were all the other coaches wrong?

It's of course possible that he was underestimated, but if that was the case, then a whole lot of other programs underestimated him too. But it is likely you would have said that same thing about any player who took a scholarship offer over walk on offers.

Interesting. I was unaware that we had to either agree with an entire post, or disagree with it entirely.

Here, I always thought that we could take individual statements and address them on their own merits. For example, in the past, had someone posted, "Minnesota is awesome. Adam Weber is a good QB.", I could have agreed with the first, and took issue with the latter. But now, since I must either agree or disagree with the entire post, I will have to change my stance.

Regrettably, I must now admit that Adam Weber is a good QB.

Thank you for enlightening me in regards to this new posting paradigm! I will be sure to employ it forthwith.

Hey buddy, I'm just quoting the quote that you highlighted.

I guess you should just employ the highlighting more carefully forthwith.

Im already tired of you, go away and cheer wildly for your bison. D-bag!

Top Bottom