Carlos Morris last night, only 4 minutes

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Was he hurt last night or is he officially being EE'd?

If the latter, I'm fine with it, as I'd rather give his minutes to McBrayer and Gilbert.

I don't necessarily think Carlos is getting EE'd. What happened last night is Baer (a walk-on freshman?) outhustled & beat him to back-to-back offensive rebounds, so Pitino decided that was enough for the evening. And I can't say I blame Pitino for that decision. Other guys were playing much better basketball than Carlos last night.

I don't necessarily think Carlos is getting EE'd. What happened last night is Baer (a walk-on freshman?) outhustled & beat him to back-to-back offensive rebounds, so Pitino decided that was enough for the evening. And I can't say I blame Pitino for that decision. Other guys were playing much better basketball than Carlos last night.

That sums up his career. Might as well play the freshmen.

Yup, I liked that Pitino had a quick trigger finger when it came to pulling guys last night. It mostly happened with the upperclassmen too. As soon as Morris, Buggs, or King made a mistake or didn't hustle, Pitino pulled them immediately.

CM continues to show disinterest in playing defense and rebounding. The pity is that he has had a few games this year where he has shown that he can do both for long stretches in a game if willing, but can't seem to figure out that playing time is linked to effort.

This is the right move at this time of the year. Yes he is getting EE and that is ok. We need to play for the future king is getting less minutes. We are playing for next year and year after.

Our team has tended to play better with him on the bench. It is completely a hustle and effort thing on defense too. I wish he'd try more as his offense can really be helpful.

There has to be a zero tolerance for lack of hustle, no question. Mistakes are one thing and need to be evaluated on a case by case, but tolerance level for a senior on those has to be low too. No excuses for lack of hustle, especially for a senior leader. I didn't notice the plays referenced last night, but Pitino did the same thing with Joey King against Michigan. No effort. No D. No playing time. Right decision.

Disappointing season for the self-appointed best player in the Big10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has to be a zero tolerance for lack of hustle, no question. Mistakes are one thing and need to be evaluated on a case by case, but tolerance level for a senior on those has to be low too. No excuses for lack of hustle, especially for a senior leader. I didn't notice the plays referenced last night, but Pitino did the same thing with Joey King against Michigan. No effort. No D. No playing time. Right decision.

Yep. This year is to establish a culture of playing hard. It makes no sense to have seniors out there playing half heartedly. Next year we start winning at a decent pace. The year after we win big.

Morris has been a massive disappointment. He has a high amount of natural ability, but he plays like a guy that's never had a good coach. Once a JUCO kid gets to a D-1 program, it's too late for him to learn basic fundamentals. Pitino needs to learn that, even though an experienced wing was a pretty big need at the time. Not all recruits work out like you hope. Hopefully we can avoid the need for JUCOs going forward.

How do you define winning big?

For this program? At the present I'd say winning big would be a top 5 conference finish, 11 conference wins or more and a nice run in the NCAAs- sweet 16 or better. I think that could be done 2 years from now. Is that a fair standard (at the moment?).

BTW- the last time that was officially done here was 89-90- 11-7 and elite 8. So- repeating that would be big IMO.

For this program? At the present I'd say winning big would be a top 5 conference finish, 11 conference wins or more and a nice run in the NCAAs- sweet 16 or better. I think that could be done 2 years from now. Is that a fair standard (at the moment?).

BTW- the last time that was officially done here was 89-90- 11-7 and elite 8. So- repeating that would be big IMO.

Thanks, was just curious. For our program certainly would agree with you.

Morris has been a massive disappointment. He has a high amount of natural ability, but he plays like a guy that's never had a good coach. Once a JUCO kid gets to a D-1 program, it's too late for him to learn basic fundamentals. Pitino needs to learn that, even though an experienced wing was a pretty big need at the time. Not all recruits work out like you hope. Hopefully we can avoid the need for JUCOs going forward.
Bobby Jackson was a JUCO. They don't all work out, but we've had plenty of success stories from the JUCO ranks

Pitino doesn't need to play Morris very much. He's better off playing Dorsey and McBrayer much more. Dorsey has a good cross-over, is very quick, and has grown as a player. I think he's a more natural point guard than Mason. McBrayer is also an excellent slasher who has improved quite a bit. These minutes are really big for next season, and with this season going no where, it doesn't make sense to play Morris very much.

Quick question- What is your opinion of Michael Hurt after seeing him in action?

Good shooter, lefty with a better stroke than McBrayer but not the same all-around game McBrayer has. Unselfish. Needs to put on weight (but what freshman doesn't?). Can help us next year, but wouldn't expect him to be a high-impact freshman.

We need to get his brother. Matthew is rail thin with a better stroke and much higher ceiling than his brother. Dude could be a monster stretch 4 at a big-time program if he continues to improve/develop his game/body. Just my 2 cents, not a talent evaluator by trade.

Good shooter, lefty with a better stroke than McBrayer but not the same all-around game McBrayer has. Unselfish. Needs to put on weight (but what freshman doesn't?). Can help us next year, but wouldn't expect him to be a high-impact freshman.

We need to get his brother. Matthew is rail thin with a better stroke and much higher ceiling than his brother. Dude could be a monster stretch 4 at a big-time program if he continues to improve/develop his game/body. Just my 2 cents, not a talent evaluator by trade.

Does Matt have Ellenson-esq potential or is he more of a Utoff?

I was concerned that McBrayer had a few "Carlos Morris Moments" last night. You know: driving wildly into the lane where his only option was to throw up a prayer off the glass or fling up a floater.

I was concerned that McBrayer had a few "Carlos Morris Moments" last night. You know: driving wildly into the lane where his only option was to throw up a prayer off the glass or fling up a floater.

At this stage, we have so few play makers and so few guys willing to create shots, that I'm OK with aggressive mistakes on offense, including the wild play in the lane. That's what this end of year portion of the schedule provides. Though hopefully its a "teachable moment" if you will.

Go Gophers!!

At this stage, we have so few play makers and so few guys willing to create shots, that I'm OK with aggressive mistakes on offense, including the wild play in the lane. That's what this end of year portion of the schedule provides. Though hopefully its a "teachable moment" if you will. Go Gophers!!

Same. The shot selection from Morris isn't great, but it's not what bothers me most. Offensively, it's his lack of urgency as he just stands and surveys a lot. And even more so his lack of D. I haven't seen McBrayer have issues with either of those so I am more okay with him taking questionable shots at times.

Same. The shot selection from Morris isn't great, but it's not what bothers me most. Offensively, it's his lack of urgency as he just stands and surveys a lot. And even more so his lack of D. I haven't seen McBrayer have issues with either of those so I am more okay with him taking questionable shots at times.

When it comes to Morris vs. McBrayer, Carlos usually avoids contact with quick floaters in the lane, whereas Dupree gladly forces the defender to foul. With the high percentage of misses coming out of the acrobatic Morris efforts, I will gladly take the free throw attempts we enjoy with Dupree - along with the foul trouble that he creates for the opposition!

When it comes to Morris vs. McBrayer, Carlos usually avoids contact with quick floaters in the lane, whereas Dupree gladly forces the defender to foul. With the high percentage of misses coming out of the acrobatic Morris efforts, I will gladly take the free throw attempts we enjoy with Dupree - along with the foul trouble that he creates for the opposition!

McBrayer dishes assists at twice the rate of Carlos while turning the ball over less. To top it off Dupree plays both ends of the court with intensity. Carlos is a better shooter at this stage but in a season like this...no choice but to go with McBrayer for the bulk of the minutes.

As I have commented many times, I am NOT comfortable with Morris in the game. You nailed it with the lack of fundamentals...he displays it glaringly on defense and offensively, he plays like its an AAU game and he is going to get him. Have never been a fan and the TEAM is better without him on the floor.

true, but McBreyer's a freshman Morris is a senior. When squirrel's at his best he looks like a promising sophomore

Exactly. One of the better first posts I've seen.

Once McBrayer develops his right hand, those wild drives will be pretty finishes. He gets in trouble because everyone knows he can only finish left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom