Cardale Jones is coming back to Ohio State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I just hope we get to play them with Braxton Miller at QB. Compared to his back-ups he has a putrid college winning percentage of only 77.78% (BTW Barrett and Jones are far above with 91.67% and 100% respectively).

Surprised to see him come back figured he wouldn't have a press conference if he was headed back to school. I wonder if Braxton Miller decides to transfer now.

I just hope we get to play them with Braxton Miller at QB. Compared to his back-ups he has a putrid college winning percentage of only 77.78% (BTW Barrett and Jones are far above with 91.67% and 100% respectively).

I think Cardale would be the best matchup for our D and Braxton would be the worst. I don't think we would get killed with the deep ball with our shutdown corners Murray and BBC but Braxton's legs could definitely kill us. We have struggled with dual threat guys all season and Miller is twice as good of a runner as any we faced this year.

Anyways, I think most people would agree that if he had a 100% chance of starting, he should absolutely come back and maybe be the #1 QB taken in the coming drafts while if he has no chance of playing next year he should absolutely declare as his stock will never be higher. I would have gone as I have a hard time believing Barrett won't be starting if he isn't healthy.

Surprised to see him come back figured he wouldn't have a press conference if he was headed back to school. I wonder if Braxton Miller decides to transfer now.

Maybe, but Braxton definitely is the most capable of seeing the field at another position besides QB.

Maybe, but Braxton definitely is the most capable of seeing the field at another position besides QB.

Feel like one of the three will transfer out, unless Barrett's injury is more serious than thought before or if Miller's shoulder tear will prevent him from playing QB. Hard to say without having all the info

Probably a bad decision, but at least he's not risking $50 million guaranteed that QBs like Sam Bradford used to get before the NFL changed the rule.

Probably a bad decision, but at least he's not risking $50 million guaranteed that QBs like Sam Bradford used to get before the NFL changed the rule.

Or maybe he really really enjoys playing SCHOOL now.

Jones is the only QB with real NFL potential. Barrett may have it but he doesn't have the strongest arm. Miller's shot in the league is as an RB/WR/athlete. Moving him would make them more dangerous but at the same time its not like they're hurting for playmakers with Elliot, Marshall and the rest. I know this sounds silly but the mature choice for Miller may be to transfer. He goes somewhere to continue to grow as a QB if that's what his heart is set on and moves on making room for the young guys who are honestly better fits for the offense than him because of their running ability. Ideally then Jones wins the job as Barrett is still recovering, Jones starts next year and goes pro and Barrett still has 2 years to start.

Jones is the only QB with real NFL potential. Barrett may have it but he doesn't have the strongest arm. Miller's shot in the league is as an RB/WR/athlete. Moving him would make them more dangerous but at the same time its not like they're hurting for playmakers with Elliot, Marshall and the rest. I know this sounds silly but the mature choice for Miller may be to transfer. He goes somewhere to continue to grow as a QB if that's what his heart is set on and moves on making room for the young guys who are honestly better fits for the offense than him because of their running ability. Ideally then Jones wins the job as Barrett is still recovering, Jones starts next year and goes pro and Barrett still has 2 years to start.

The scenario you laid out makes the most sense overall. I can't see all three of them back at OSU next year. The only way it could really work is if one was willing to play a different position and I would be surprised if any of them would be. Miller moving on somewhere just makes sense and I will be shocked if he is still at OSU when next season rolls around. Jones and Barrett can then share time or as you laid out Jones is the starter while JT backs him up next year with JT as the starter for the two seasons after that. No matter how you slice it, it is a great problem for the Buckeyes to have, trying to sort out which super talented QB to play.

I thought Jones should've left. No guarantee he gets drafted this year, and the small sample size I think helps his chances of getting picked. But of course, just getting picked doesn't necessarily guarantee any $.

Miller and Barrett still have a lot of rehabbing to do, not sure they are going to be itching to transfer while trying to come back from injuries. They are not going to be able to participate in spring practice and learn a new system, they would have to start over in the fall basically.

Jones definitely has a different skillset compared to Miller and Barrett, I could see him getting some reps to provide different looks situationally. That being said, Barrett probably runs the offense they want to run the best when he's on top of his game (though his arm strength is the worst of the 3 I'd say), and Miller is a better runner than Jones & has a strong arm (although I think Jones is a better decision-maker passing the ball and overall compared to Miller). They never seemed to trust Jones with the zone read/option game, but he proved adept at converting key 3rd and 4th downs as the only running option. I was surprised at how effective Jones was on big 3rd and 4th down plays, he always seemed to hit the open man or run for a 1st down.

I'd like to see Jones continue to have a role moving forward, but it may depend on what types of plays they want to run.

Maybe he has a plan of a college degree before moving on?

Don, there are referring to this:

18183tgkpy8a6png.png

Wow. First Campbell now Jones. Is anyone going out early?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard him on the radio a little while ago. He said school was the reason that he was coming back. He sound very bright and articulate.

Priceless.

Anyway, IMHO if I ran the Buckeyes I'd hitch my wagon to Cardale
Jones. He has "it", has good decision making skills, is elusive, is an effective runner and a load to bring down, is good in the pocket, and has an incredible arm with accuracy. Sure his receivers bail him out somewhat but they are Ohio ****ing State. They can do what they want to do on offense.

Should go

His stock will never be higher. He just defeated Mariotta for the National Championship. He made plays. They have little to evaluate on but nobody wants to be the guy who missed drafting him. Kiper said high 2nd round with liklihood somebody moves up to the 1st round to grab him.

I didn't think Maxx should leave until he had "the run". His stock won't ever be higher either.

The OSU A.D. said all 3 QB's will play. Since when is he coaching? Heard two different agents on the radio say if he was my son 100% he declares. And they made it clear they were not speaking from any possibility of representing him.

His stock will never be higher. He just defeated Mariotta for the National Championship. He made plays. They have little to evaluate on but nobody wants to be the guy who missed drafting him. Kiper said high 2nd round with liklihood somebody moves up to the 1st round to grab him.

I didn't think Maxx should leave until he had "the run". His stock won't ever be higher either.

The OSU A.D. said all 3 QB's will play. Since when is he coaching? Heard two different agents on the radio say if he was my son 100% he declares. And they made it clear they were not speaking from any possibility of representing him.

He may have more to risk by coming back than leaving but it's certainly not true that "his stock will never be higher." He could very well end up being a top 5, maybe the #1 pick next year. Unlike Maxx, his stock could either skyrocket or plummet depending on what happens next year. Maxx's stock would only stay the same or get worse.

He may have more to risk by coming back than leaving but it's certainly not true that "his stock will never be higher." He could very well end up being a top 5, maybe the #1 pick next year. Unlike Maxx, his stock could either skyrocket or plummet depending on what happens next year. Maxx's stock would only stay the same or get worse.

But diehard. He was the number 3 quarterback. Do you think if all 3 truly do come back or if even Miller transfers that Jones will be the number 1 QB at OSU and get the opportunity to raise his stock? I agree OSU could win another National Championship and if they did and if he was the #1 QB, then yes but ... He could be #1 overall but it'll surprise me. He was dang good 3 times out. Can he duplicate that next year? Will he get the chance? Urban Meyer is not dumb...why was he #3? People have career years, his might have been 3 games. He's got a cannon and played awesome. Staying is greedy. Barkley USC fell off a bunch. Other examples. Not everybody gets better...big discussion on the basketball side.

But diehard. He was the number 3 quarterback. Do you think if all 3 truly do come back or if even Miller transfers that Jones will be the number 1 QB at OSU and get the opportunity to raise his stock? I agree OSU could win another National Championship and if they did and if he was the #1 QB, then yes but ... He could be #1 overall but it'll surprise me. He was dang good 3 times out. Can he duplicate that next year? Will he get the chance? Urban Meyer is not dumb...why was he #3? People have career years, his might have been 3 games. He's got a cannon and played awesome. Staying is greedy. Barkley USC fell off a bunch. Other examples. Not everybody gets better...big discussion on the basketball side.

Cardale is as cool as a cucumber. He's got the moxie to think he can go very high, maybe #1 if he stays. I love that attitude. When everyone else is focused on what can go wrong, he's focused on the possibilities.

Urb is as smart as they come. He really can't go wrong with any of his QBs. Ridiculous riches...who knows why Cardale sat. I'll be very surprised if he loses the starting spot next year. Sky is the limit with this kid.

Which is why I said he may have more to risk by coming back than leaving. That doesn't mean his stock will surely never be higher.

Cardale is as cool as a cucumber. He's got the moxie to think he can go very high, maybe #1 if he stays. I love that attitude. When everyone else is focused on what can go wrong, he's focused on the possibilities.

Urb is as smart as they come. He really can't go wrong with any of his QBs. Ridiculous riches...who knows why Cardale sat. I'll be very surprised if he loses the starting spot next year. Sky is the limit with this kid.

Personally I don't expect Jones to start for one main reason, that he is not good at executing the base offense that Meyer loves, the zone read. The coaches did their best to avoid forcing Jones to make a decision about whether to hand the ball off or keep it himself, he didn't have to pitch the ball one time in 3 games, and he still got confused about whether to hand it off to Elliott (resulting in a fumble vs. Oregon). Clearly Jones is not comfortable with that at this point, maybe he can improve on it this offseason, but if the zone read still isn't part of the offense with Jones at QB, he's just not going to start.

You have a better perspective because I watched only 4.5 OSU games this year. You're right, Suburban likes his zone read with JT. However, the OSU offense was a machine with Elliot and Jones. I was very impressed. This was not the OSU I recall from recent years. The offensive line was dominant and that uncorked everything. Between Zeke taking advantage and Jones blowing the top off the defense it was fun to watch. It felt like physical man ball, and they really didn't need the QB to run with these players, although Jones was able to make some great conversions when called for. I feel like it would upset the football gods to sit the guy that helped lead the team to a championship. I'm a little superstitious.

The most impressive part is he played pretty well under the biggest of microscopes against some of the best teams.

Maxx's stock would only stay the same or get worse.

Why do people keep saying that? Not to hijack the thread, but that is absolutely ludicrous.

Maxx absolutely could elevate his stock by coming back. He could catch 50-60 balls for 750-1000 yards and 9-12 touchdowns next year, or better. He could show improved blocking skills. Those two things alone would improve his draft stock from a likely 2nd round pick right now, to a locked-in 1st round pick next year.

Obviously, he could have a similar year to this past season and his stock could stay the same. Or, he could get hurt and his stock could plummet.

I think he made the correct call in going early because he's going to be a younger prospect already earning a lot of money.

But, to suggest his stock would ONLY stay the same or get worse is simply wrong.

He has huge skills and I could envision him averaging 5-6+ catches per game next season, putting him in the 50-60+ catch range, and getting a boatload of TD's. Plus, he would likely put another 6-8 highlight reel plays on film, which would elevate his status further.

EDIT for clarification....thanks DP.

Why do people keep saying that? Not to hijack the thread, but that is absolutely ludicrous.

Maxx absolutely could elevate his stock by coming back. He could catch 50-60 balls for 750-1000 yards and 9-12 touchdowns next year, or better. He could show improved blocking skills. Those two things alone would improve his draft stock from a likely 2nd or 3rd round pick right now, to a potential 1st round pick next year.

Obviously, he could have a similar year to this past season and his stock could stay the same. Or, he could get hurt and his stock could plummet.

I think he made the correct call in going early because he's going to be a younger prospect already earning a lot of money.

But, to suggest his stock would ONLY stay the same or get worse is simply wrong.

He has huge skills and I could envision him averaging 5-6+ catches per game next season, putting him in the 50-60+ catch range, and getting a boatload of TD's. Plus, he would likely put another 6-8 highlight reel plays on film, which would elevate his status further.

He's a potential first rounder right now.

He's a potential first rounder right now.

Correct, I should have more accurately stated, he could rise from a likely 2nd round pick to a cinch 1st round pick.

Again, I think he made the right decision, and there's a chance he could slip into the 1st round this spring, but more likely he'll go in the 2nd round.

IF he had a huge year next year, he would be a lock for the 1st round.

Basic point, this raging idea that leaving was a good idea because he can't improve his draft status is wrong. Leaving because he can make money as a young prospect and not risk injury as a college player is right.

But, there is no doubt, he rather easily could have bettered his status next year. But, again without that as a guarantee, he made the right call.

Correct, I should have more accurately stated, he could rise from a likely 2nd round pick to a cinch 1st round pick.

Again, I think he made the right decision, and there's a chance he could slip into the 1st round this spring, but more likely he'll go in the 2nd round.

IF he had a huge year next year, he would be a lock for the 1st round.

Basic point, this raging idea that leaving was a good idea because he can't improve his draft status is wrong. Leaving because he can make money as a young prospect and not risk injury as a college player is right.

But, there is no doubt, he rather easily could have bettered his status next year. But, again without that as a guarantee, he made the right call.

I couldn't agree more. The "there's only downside" trope is silly. He'd have been the front runner for the Mackey, and that along with potentially leading the Gophers to the Big Ten Championship Game (or dare I say Rose Bowl) would do nothing but improve his stock. But, I also agree - leaving this year was the right call for him.

Top Bottom