Car Make and Model that shows someone "settled" when purchasing a car.

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I think the best example of this is the Lincoln Zephyr from the 2005-2010 era.

No one ever WANTED a Lincoln Zephyr that looked like that era Lincoln Zephyr looks like. Uninspiring styling, features, and performance, but yes, you bought a "luxury" car.

Any others?

If I understand the intent of the OP, you're talking about a car that is OK, but a step down from something really nice.

honestly, I have never had a car that fits that category. I tend to buy the cheapest car I can find.

Maybe the closest to that category would have been a Buick Century Custom. I'm not sure what was "custom" about it.

Pretty much any GM car from approx 1980 to 2000. GM took a 20 year corporate nap and many people today will not buy a GM car.

The problem where I don't see this fitting the category is I don't think many people buy GM hoping for something else, then settling for a GM. The people who buy GM bought GM for decades and even through the 80's - 00's still believe they are the best cars money can buy and all aspire to someday own a Cadillac.

I have family who will only buy GM and never tried anything else and they swear GM is the best.

I think the best example of this is the Lincoln Zephyr from the 2005-2010 era.

No one ever WANTED a Lincoln Zephyr that looked like that era Lincoln Zephyr looks like. Uninspiring styling, features, and performance, but yes, you bought a "luxury" car.

Any others?

While the Zephyr wasn't a super pretty car....it wasn't exactly ugly either. Personally.....I've always liked the boxier styling of Lincoln vehicles.

PT Cruiser.

Gotta think that had more to do with bad taste and bad decision making.

FAWJCCPVIAAGN4C

Chrysler Pacifica after it become a minivan.

Isn't a Pacifica basically a higher priced Dodge Caravan? IIR, they both use the same chassis and base platform. Chrysler just has a sleeker design, more upgrades, and better name brand.

Chrysler Pacifica after it become a minivan.

Isn't a Pacifica basically a higher priced Dodge Caravan? IIR, they both use the same chassis and base platform. Chrysler just has a sleeker design, more upgrades, and better name brand.
It is a dodge product and it replaced the town and country which was the best mini van you could buy until 2016. The Pacifica was a crossover and I always thought the people buying the crossover couldn’t afford a Lincoln or Cadillac.

The problem where I don't see this fitting the category is I don't think many people buy GM hoping for something else, then settling for a GM. The people who buy GM bought GM for decades and even through the 80's - 00's still believe they are the best cars money can buy and all aspire to someday own a Cadillac.

I have family who will only buy GM and never tried anything else and they swear GM is the best.

The category is kind of vague. I was thinking that anyone who purchased a GM from this timeframe, was lazy and did not do much comparison shopping, and just settled for one of these cars.

"Settled" is such an odd way to think about buying a car.

Top Bottom