Cannon questions

FarmGopher

U Grad
Reaction score
Two cannon related questions:

1. Where was the Cannon Man last game? It was kind of anticlimactic when we scored without it going off.

2. Did anyone else see the T-shirt gatling gun that Goldy was firing during the first quarter? That thing was insane. It shot 5 shirts in a row. I wanted to see it up close but they wheeled it away for the rest of the game. They need that thing going off during every break off the game. Especially in the student section.

I think the gatling gun was withdrawn because there was alays at least one misfire every time they fired it.

And I don't think Rod Wallace is dead, you would think we would have heard about it by now.

I enjoyed Goldy and Subman shooting 6inch sub sandwhiches into the crowd. Nothing screams america more than shooting food into the gaping maws of the slack jawed yokels in the stands.

My wife has probably been to 75 Gophers football games and remains pretty oblivious to what is going on. Last Thursday, though, she did notice the absence of the cannon.

We also noticed the "cannon man" was not present at the game

I picked up on the absence of the lack of cannon-sound reverberating around the stadium after our 3rd score (in the 3rd quarter). What's the story? 'Cannon Man' or no, somebody else should be able to fire off the damn thing.

I also noticed the lack of a boom after the scores. I did find this:
https://www.goldengopherfund.com/On...ticle_id=25529FF2-FFA9-4FDD-852B-EA1D2B0AAA1E
interesting that Rod has shot the cannon for 18 years, owned the old Thunderbird Hotel and never actually went to the U. I know the cannon was Rod's baby so if he suddenly decided to hang it up, got sick, or wasn't available for the game I don't think the U has a "junior cannon man" to replace him.

Nobody could or should replace Rod Wallace. He has been a great Golden Gopher Football Fan and supporter!

I'm sure that the ROTC units at the U would happily provide a salute detail if they were given a cannon. I've even checked they're about $1500.

I've never been a fan of the cannon. Wallace has put a lot of his dough into the Gopher program, so I have no problem with his premature booms.
I know Rod is getting late in his senior years. If he were to silence the cannon, I'd be in favor of that happening on a permanent basis. It's a Rod thing.

Our new traditions since TCF have opened have been slow to evolve. That's okay, as I don't like manufactured ones. The thing I miss the most from the Dome is Jim Mitchell. For those of you who never got to hear his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and Hail Minnesota, you are missing out.

I've never been a fan of the cannon. Wallace has put a lot of his dough into the Gopher program, so I have no problem with his premature booms. I know Rod is getting late in his senior years. If he were to silence the cannon, I'd be in favor of that happening on a permanent basis. It's a Rod thing. Our new traditions since TCF have opened have been slow to evolve. That's okay, as I don't like manufactured ones. The thing I miss the most from the Dome is Jim Mitchell. For those of you who never got to hear his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and Hail Minnesota, you are missing out.
Speaking of traditions...I haven't seen a "Pass Up Goldy" in a long time. That was always a good time in the dome.

how about the sound of a cash register when we score a TB or FG? goes with TCF bank!

Speaking of traditions...I haven't seen a "Pass Up Goldy" in a long time. That was always a good time in the dome.

Pass up Goldy?......Hell, grab a coed and pass her up! That's what we did back in the "day" at Memorial Stadium. We used to grab a willing girl and start passing her up all the way to the top row of the stadium........ahh, the good old days!

I picked up on the absence of the lack of cannon-sound reverberating around the stadium after our 3rd score (in the 3rd quarter). What's the story? 'Cannon Man' or no, somebody else should be able to fire off the damn thing.

On the Goal Line Clubs website, it lists from 2011-2013 that they were "Sponsors" of the Football/Touchdown Cannon. Possible maybe the cannon was malfunctioning? I have listed a link to the GLC webiste below.

http://goallineclub.com/pages/about-us

I'm willing to bet the sponsorship was purchasing the blanks that cost about $1.80 each plus shipping.

I like the traditions of the canon. Traditions get passed on, that is what makes them traditions. I would like to have the Gophers use a Civil War cannon - I am sure it could be fitted to give the desired bang.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I've always thought the Station 19 folks could ring the fire bell on top of the building after every score. That'd be cool. Granted - the U doesn't own that building. But they should still ring the bell, even for away games.

I'm willing to bet the sponsorship was purchasing the blanks that cost about $1.80 each plus shipping.

Not that it's free, but he at least used to load his own. He had several different levels for empty stands through a full stadium so that it wasn't deafening / unheard. I think I read that in the Alumni magazine if I remember right? Maybe he hasn't been able to get his gun powder with the shortage that was going on last year (though that should be mostly over now).

I'm nearly certain that the GLC had someone fill in for Mr. Wallace on other occasions when he hasn't been there. Not sure if they couldn't get it together or what?

If Mr. Wallace is unable to continue I guess I'd like to see someone else carry the torch. It adds a nice punch to the celebration!

I've never been a fan of the cannon. Wallace has put a lot of his dough into the Gopher program, so I have no problem with his premature booms.
I know Rod is getting late in his senior years. If he were to silence the cannon, I'd be in favor of that happening on a permanent basis. It's a Rod thing.

Our new traditions since TCF have opened have been slow to evolve. That's okay, as I don't like manufactured ones. The thing I miss the most from the Dome is Jim Mitchell. For those of you who never got to hear his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and Hail Minnesota, you are missing out.

Boy, you're not kidding. I still almost tear up when I hear "Hail, Minnesota" because I think if him singing it.

waaaaaaaaay back (mid/late 80's) I had a summer job installing home AV/tech stuff. I swapped out a satellite receiver at Rod Wallace's house (on Lake Minnetonka) and I remember it to be decorated to leave no doubt of wealth and even by my teenage taste at the time, I thought it was over-the-top... with actual knight armor suits and stuff like that all over the place.

I have it on good authority that Mr Wallace is getting up there in age and not up to doing it anymore and none of his kin are really keen on taking it over fulltime. So I believe it is being retired.

I have it on good authority that Mr Wallace is getting up there in age and not up to doing it anymore and none of his kin are really keen on taking it over fulltime. So I believe it is being retired.

I'll do it.

Send me a PM Rod!

You don't retire traditions. Have the U buy a canon, they can name it after him.

Mr Wallace could donate the cannon to the Goal Line Club. The ROTC units could provide a firing detail and the tradition would be restored. A basic Winchester Signal Cannon runs about $900, a scale Civil War cannon could run up to $6000, cost should not be an obstacle. I'd be willing to donate towards a new cannon, at $50 a piece, it would only take 120 of us to buy a really nice cannon.

Today I learned that you can purchase a cannon on the Internet. God bless America.

However, if you're in the market for a new cannon, I HIGHLY recommend a Howitzer 105:

Maybe the ROTC has a cannon and could fire it off after each score. I don't know where you'd put a howitzer at TCF but it is a tradition that shouldn't just die.

I don't know where you'd put a howitzer at TCF

Rb9cOqo.jpg

You don't retire traditions. Have the U buy a canon, they can name it after him.

Anything done for less than 20 years is not that much of a tradition.

Top Bottom