Can you name the six schools with more claimed FBS National Championships than the Gophers?

Without looking it up, no. I just hear that Alabama claims 100 titles.;)

Can we include the Ivy League from the early days.....I think Yale had a bunch.

I’ll give you the easy ones,
1. Alabama
2. Michigan
2. USC
2. ND
5. ??????
6. ??????

5 is way harder than 6.

Alabama
Notre dame
Michigan
USC
Yale
Princeton

I’ll give you the easy ones,
1. Alabama
2. Michigan
2. USC
2. ND
5. ??????
6. ??????

5 is way harder than 6.

It depends how far back you want to go. Yale and Princeton were powerhouses in the early days, and later Chicago (Dave Revsine's book was great on this stuff).

Just wondering if any of you know them all.
Bonus for the school tied with MN.
Is OSU tied, or did they pass us. IIRC Pitt might have more than 7. IIRC that was a riff between them and Penn State.

According to the only website that credits Minnesota with 7 I could find, OSU claims 8. They are #6.
Michigan, USC, and ND claim 10.
Oklahoma claims 7.
Which leaves a school that claims 9.

Since the FBS became the name in 2007, there are 8 schools who have more than the Gophers claimed 0 FBS National Championships.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Florida State

UCF also claims a national championship in this era.

Since the FBS became the name in 2007, there are 8 schools who have more than the Gophers claimed 0 FBS National Championships.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Florida State

Lol

According to the only website that credits Minnesota with 7 I could find, OSU claims 8. They are #6.
Michigan, USC, and ND claim 10.
Oklahoma claims 7.
Which leaves a school that claims 9.

FSU?

Hint: A running back from #5 holds the record for longest rush from scrimmage in the Metrodome. (Not Darryl Thompson)

Did Jackie Sherrill get the NCAA to drop the hammer on Pitt? IIRC he left kind of like Lou Holtz did.

Claimed is one thing, recognized by the NCAA is another. Before the AP poll in 1936, which became the gold standard, there was a free-for-all by pundits, newspapers, magazines, and a Dr. Dickenson, a professor at Illinois who began a math system for national champion in 1926, then back-dated it to 1924 at Knute Rockne's request so Notre Dame could win that year. Notre Dame donated the Rissman Trophy, which Notre Dame retired in 1930, with its third win. Then the Rockne Trophy was retired by Minnesota in 1941 (third win) and the UM donated the Williamson Trophy, but after 1935 the trophies didn't count for much because of the AP poll. The AP football writer (one man) in 1935 chose a triple winner: Minnesota, Southern Methodist and Princeton. In 1934, of the recognized pundits/selectors then active, Alabama and Minnesota each had three (they also each had three men on the official All-America team) - a co-championship would make sense, but the NCAA goes with Minnesota for that year. The majority of these free lancers went with Minnesota in '35, hence the NCAA-recognized Bierman three-peat, 1934-35-36, despite that Dickenson went with Southern Methodist. Before 1920, there are no real champions because all the selections are retroactive by modern "foundations," and individuals. In 1950, the coaches' poll became official, too, so some years there were two champions if the polls differed. Alabama leads with a huge number, including 1973 when they lost in the national championship game (Sugar Bowl) to Notre Dame, but the coaches' poll (UPI) hadn't switched yet to a post-bowl vote so Alabama claims a co-championship for that year. Bear Bryant won six, then, and Nick Saban has added six more. Notre Dame would have 11, Oklahoma 8, Nebraska 5, Minnesota 6. The coaches and AP polls were the arbiters in 1960 and the Gophers finished no. 1 in both, though losing in the Rose Bowl (it was fairly common for national champs to lose in a bowl game). But in recent years, the NCAA has gummed up the works by adding the Football Writers Association, a small number of writers with their own trophy - it went to Mississippi in 1960, so Ole Miss is co-champion now with Minnesota, but I can guarantee that at the time it meant little, and the two polls were everything. The BCS and playoffs have settled the issue since 1998.

Last edited:

FBS/FCS is just the replacement name for I-A/I-AA subdivisions, which were created in 1978.

The actual Division I, II, III were created in 1973.

Prior to that, I believe the NCAA had "University Division" and "College Division" in order to have separate championship tournaments for basketball, and started that in 1957

That said, a lot of the national championships for college football, prior to the BCS, were merely nothing more than from voting in various polls. AP #1 obviously being a pretty big deal, most agreed for decades, as the best college football team in the land and thus "national champion".

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Florida State

They are in the record book and it's a hill I'm willing to die on

I was surprised Army only has 3.

Regarding 1960, the University of Washington recently claimed a title from that year because they beat Minnesota in the Rose Bowl. As mentioned earlier, in that era final polls were published before the bowl games and playing in them was considered a reward and treated more like an exhibition game. Of course the players wanted to win, but they were also enjoying the trip; like being in movies and going to the beach.

Top Bottom