Can we still redshirt Rodney?

They don't play the same positions... Royce and Trevor both play PF while Rodney plays mainly SF and some SG. The only difference is that Carter wouldn't be asked to play PF if those two were playing, but Rodney already seems to be moving in on his minutes anyway.

Um, that was before Royce and Mbakwe's off-the-court transgressions. Rodney doesn't have much utility if those guys are available to play.

Um, you sure about that? Seems to me Rodney has been ready to play regardless of the situations with Royce and Mbakwe. He isn't all of the sudden "good" because Royce and Mbakwe aren't available.

Then who doesn't play? You can't go 12-13 deep. Hoffarber? Joseph? Cobbs? White? Who would have lost minutes to accommodate Rodney?

Then who doesn't play? You can't go 12-13 deep. Hoffarber? Joseph? Cobbs? White? Who would have lost minutes to accommodate Rodney?

That depends upon Tubby, not you or me. The fact is that Rodney was much more ready to play at the college level than those who said "he needs to redshirt" or "he's not ready to play at the division 1 level" ever thought.

I understand your Royce White maybe playing some SF argument, but I don't really understand the rest. Those other players are all playing so what do they have to do with Royce and Trevor not playing right now? Their minutes aren't really affected by the absence of Trevor and Royce. I still think that White and Trevor would have pretty much split time at PF and Carter would only play SF, so IMO it still comes down to how much time Rodney shares with Carter. Then throw in the fact that he gets some minutes at SG. The only player who is really affected by the suspensions in terms of PT is Carter.

Um, that was before Royce and Mbakwe's off-the-court transgressions. Rodney doesn't have much utility if those guys are available to play.

What games have you been watching. Court play rules every time. Redshirt who? The thing is because of his athleticism tougher competion isn't going to impact him that much offensively. I think he will be challenged defensively as the competition improves. Hopefully he will work at and improve on defense to match the competition as the season progresses.

I understand your Royce White maybe playing some SF argument, but I don't really understand the rest. Those other players are all playing so what do they have to do with Royce and Trevor not playing right now? Their minutes aren't really affected by the absence of Trevor and Royce. I still think that White and Trevor would have pretty much split time at PF and Carter would only play SF, so IMO it still comes down to how much time Rodney shares with Carter. Then throw in the fact that he gets some minutes at SG. The only player who is really affected by the suspensions in terms of PT is Carter.

There, you just answered my question. White and Mbakwe would split their time at the 4, limiting them to just about 20 minutes each.

What question? I still don't understand how them splitting time affects Rodney. Rodney plays SF and SG.

There, you just answered my question. White and Mbakwe would split their time at the 4, limiting them to just about 20 minutes each.

What question? I still don't understand how them splitting time affects Rodney. Rodney plays SF and SG.

OMG . . .

The question of who Rodney takes minutes from! He apparently takes them from Westbrook, Joseph, Hoffarber, White, Carter and Mbakwe in your scenario. My scenario has Nolen/Cobbs/Joseph filling the 40 minutes at the point, Westbrook/Joseph/Hoffarber/Johnson/White/Carter filling the 80 minutes at the wings, Mbakwe/White/Carter filling the 40 minutes at PF, and Sampson/Iverson/Mbakwe filling the 40 minutes at center.

IMO Hoff and Carter would probably not see the floor much in tight games.

This is a absurd statement. Between White and Mbakwe, they would have taken up at least 40 minutes of PT, probably more. DJ would likely have played almost exclusively at the 3 spot. There is an increased likelihood that we would have played extended minutes without one the true centers on the floor. Rodney might be getting some minutes at the 2 spot, thus further squeezing minutes away from our guards. But if you thought that Royce and Trevor were just going to be splitting whatever minutes Paul Carter is getting, well, you're just wrong.

That doesn't even make sense. I never said Trevor and Royce would be splitting whatever minutes Paul Carter is getting...so, well, you're just wrong. Try reading again.

My whole argument was that Carter is benefiting the most from Trevor and Royce being out, not Rodney. If Trevor and Royce were playing then Carter would not be asked to play PF, instead he would be fighting for minutes with Rodney at the 3 spot, which he is already somewhat doing. Rodney's is affected somewhat by Royce and Trevor not playing, but not nearly as much as Carter.

IMO Hoff and Carter would probably not see the floor much in tight games.

This is a absurd statement. Between White and Mbakwe, they would have taken up at least 40 minutes of PT, probably more. DJ would likely have played almost exclusively at the 3 spot. There is an increased likelihood that we would have played extended minutes without one the true centers on the floor. Rodney might be getting some minutes at the 2 spot, thus further squeezing minutes away from our guards. But if you thought that Royce and Trevor were just going to be splitting whatever minutes Paul Carter is getting, well, you're just wrong.

No...my scenario doesn't have him taking minutes from Mbakwe and White...the others, yes, meaning White and Mbakwe out haven't affected his minutes that much. You can read the post above. It's really not worth it getting into these debates with you. Sometimes I wonder if you actually believe the stuff you say or if you just say it to go against the grain and get responses. I will leave you alone as you continue to hate on our best players (Westbrook and DJ), love our worst starter who wouldn't be starting without the two players ahead of him being suspended, and back up Myron's speculation articles. Respond however you like, I will not be responding back. There's no need for us to go back and forth again.

OMG . . .

The question of who Rodney takes minutes from! He apparently takes them from Westbrook, Joseph, Hoffarber, White, Carter and Mbakwe in your scenario. My scenario has Nolen/Cobbs/Joseph filling the 40 minutes at the point, Westbrook/Joseph/Hoffarber/Johnson/White/Carter filling the 80 minutes at the wings, Mbakwe/White/Carter filling the 40 minutes at PF, and Sampson/Iverson/Mbakwe filling the 40 minutes at center.

No...my scenario doesn't have him taking minutes from Mbakwe and White...the others, yes, meaning White and Mbakwe out haven't affected his minutes that much.

OMG X 2 . . .

Your scenario has White and Mbakwe splitting 40 minutes at PF, correct? My scenario has White and Mbakwe playing upwards of 50 minutes. Mbakwe spends the bulk of his minutes at the 4, while White splits his playing time between SF and PF. Carter also splits time between SF and PF.

The suspensions mean that Carter has to play the 4 exclusively. The minutes vacated by White and Carter at the 3 are then filled by Rodney.

I will leave you alone as you continue to hate on our best players (Westbrook and DJ),

How in world have I hated on them?

love our worst starter who wouldn't be starting without the two players ahead of him being suspended,

Yeah, why should I love one of the nation's better rebounders, a guy that was a better offensive rebounder than the likes Blake Griffin, Hasheem Thabeet, and Cole Aldrich last season, a guy whose strengths correlate to the four factors to winning.

and back up Myron's speculation articles.

“He [Rodney Williams] might be a candidate for a redshirt. It depends on how he’s coming along and where he’s at academically.” ~ Tubby Smith, Minnesota Gophers basketball coach

:D

I'm concerned that Rodney doesn't shoot the ball well enough to compete at this level. He's also pretty thin, and not really ready to play division one defense. Finally, he really doesn't handle the ball very well. Bottom-line, being athletic and a great dunker isn't enough. I really hope we don't waste a year of eligibility when he's so very, very raw. Tubby has to give him a year to develop.

Remember all those comments. Why do people let Myron (who consistently said the above) and others who really know nothing about basketball influence them so much? I never understood the idea that he should redshirt. It's early yet, but he's already proven he's more of a player than many thought.

Still want to redshirt Rodney?

Still want to redshirt Rodney?

I continue to question if he is just an athlete. You have to be a basketball player at this level - one with great physical strength. This is the Big 10.

Wow - now please read original post

Top Bottom