Can we go an entire game without a personal foul?

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I know it really didn't cost us the game or anything, but to me the most crucial play in the OSU game was when we were still playing them tough and Small made the stupid late hit on their wideout running the reverse which we had stopped. Next play was the bomb to Posey wide open to make it 7-0

If we can go a entire game without a dumb penalty like this (late hit, late hit out of bounds, taunting, etc) I like our chances...

I know a lot of teams have costly penalties like this, even good teams, but for some reason it really seems to cost the gophers bigtime....

Is it purely the players fault or is coaching to blame?

Original question, the answer is NO!!!!

I also wonder

if its humanly possible for them to go an entire game without a false start. I bet not.

I'll take the over on that bet. IMHO, if you commit a dumbazzed personal foul, you ride pine for the rest of the game. Maybe the next game besides. I don't care if your jersey says "Weber" on the back. Stoudemire seems like a good kid, but he should have been filling gatorade cups for the rest of the game after mouthing off to a coach. Dumb play = no play. That's the kind of message that gets through. Sort of like when my kid screws up royally, she gets no TV or computer for a week. Its a concept a 7 year old can understand. I would hope that college football players can grasp it as well.

You're right that Small's penalty probably didn't cost us the game. But one could argue that a dumb PF against Wisconsin did. There were some dumb penalties in the Cal game that certainly didn't help our chances, either.

In my day, way back when....false starts were called falsies. :)

Discipline can be the difference between winning and losing a game. You've got to deal with it as quickly as possible. The sooner players realize that cheap shots will put them on the bench, the sooner the discipline problems will be dealt with. But if players realize you won't do anything, the discipline problems will get worse. There's little worse than a cheap shot gives the other team life when you're trying to finish them off.

I was watching the game between Iowa and I think Arkansas State, where the Arkansas State player scored on a TC to pull within one score. This player did a flip going into the end zone, and got a penalty for it. That's the sort of disregard that really hurts the team - it cost them 15 yards on the kickoff, and made it that much harder to have a chance to win. You don't want players putting making the highlight reel above helping the team get a win.

I'd like to see players not hit back when the opponent takes a swing at them. It's human nature to hit back, but if you have the discipline, that's 15 yards for your team, instead of offsetting penalties. The best way to hit back is not to hit back. 15 yards hurts the other team, offsetting penalites do not.

Don't get me wrong, I know it really didn't cost us the game or anything, but to me the most crucial play in the OSU game was when we were still playing them tough and Small made the stupid late hit on their wideout running the reverse which we had stopped. Next play was the bomb to Posey wide open to make it 7-0

If we can go a entire game without a dumb penalty like this (late hit, late hit out of bounds, taunting, etc) I like our chances...

I know a lot of teams have costly penalties like this, even good teams, but for some reason it really seems to cost the gophers bigtime....

Is it purely the players fault or is coaching to blame?

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but that was an fing terrible call. So was the Stoudemire interference and the Simmons pass interference, all of those were examples of the refs not letting the players play. All should have been no calls.
In other thoughts, we did have a great game against NW with very few penalties if I remember correctly.

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but that was an fing terrible call.

If youre talking about the Small late hit, I think it was borderline at best, I wasn't upset with the call on that one at all, just thought it was a dumb thing to do by Small...some of the other ones, yes questionable calls.

If youre talking about the Small late hit, I think it was borderline at best, I wasn't upset with the call on that one at all, just thought it was a dumb thing to do by Small...some of the other ones, yes questionable calls.

I agree that the call on Small was a weak call. The WR was contained but still fighting to get away when Small took his step and hit. It was a very gray area whether or not it was a late hit and I think more often than not it doesn't get called.

The thing that pisses me off is that on our last series when Gray broke his 20+ yard run a pursuing LB did the same thing or worse to Gray and didn't get called. Normally a QB gets extra protection and late in a blow out refs will try to cut off chippy play before it leads to something bad. That didn't seem to matter here.

IMO it says a lot that the Big Ten refs called us for a penalty but didn't call one on OSU.

The weak thing about the Small hit is that:
1) The whistle hadn't blown.
2) The player was not on the ground, he merely had his forward progress stopped.

If you don't want players to hit eachother THEN BLOW THE WHISTLE!!!

Top Bottom