Can Tubby Get the Most Out of His Players?

Reaction score
I really wonder if the Tubby's style of coaching gets the most out of his players. It is easy for us here on the GH to say players need to "suck it up" and play the game the way Tubby wants it played, but you can't get the best from all your players by grinding them to death either. There is something going on here that has destroyed a good deal of the team dynamics that create a winner. If you constant beat on guys for their weaknesses with no balance of encouragement and positive feedback when they make progress, well, you get what we have right now. When you get to the point as a player when you think you can do nothing right in the eyes of the coach or you worry constantly about making a mistake, you just can't play well. You are all tied up in knots, half paralyzed on the floor. Then when you do make mistake, you get pulled out of the game and the cycle of discouragement get worst. No one wins when the coach is angry, disappointed and critical all the time.

I am not at the practices, so I don't have all the inside scoop, but I sure see the attitudes of the players and temperment of the coach during games. Things are ugly right now.

This will not only hurt this team's performance, but it will hurt recruiting. Recruits can sense if there is a darkness around the team morale. What do you think Devoe is telling Cory right now? It is probably not good.

Remember how tough Clem Haskins could get with his players, but there was also a clear sense of encouragement and connection between him and his players (and it was not just their appreciation for the help he got them to write their term papers!). Got to have both sides of that equation to get performance. I wonder how balanced Tubby is right now with his boys.

It Could be...

It could be he IS getting the best out of his players.

Maybe they just are not all heading to the NBA.

:(

How about not having three probable starters in the line-up? Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this year. Now if things don't get better next year, then we should be concerned.

Or you could flip that question around

"Can Tubby Get the Most Out of His Players?"

A fair question. I would counter with,

"Are the players getting the most out of (and listening to) their proven head coach who has been successful at three very disparate universities?. ... Tulsa (mid-major to the Sweet 16), Georgia (school very much like Minnesota in basketball, to the Sweet 16) and Kentucky (no bigger fishbowl school to a national title and a couple Elite 8s).

The 3 recruits were not on the team last season. This season is being played
with last years players. So the logical and fair question would be why is it that
this team is doing worse than last years team? Shouldn't they be as good or
even a little better with another year of experience and training?

This season is being played with last years players.

Except for Nolen, Abu Shamala, Busch, and Williams. Say what you want, but JAS, Busch, and Nolen were key parts of that NCAA team last year, all coming up with key plays/moments at certain times a year ago. We absolutely could use a Busch-like spark this year. Last night, in particular.

The 3 recruits were not on the team last season. This season is being played
with last years players. So the logical and fair question would be why is it that
this team is doing worse than last years team? Shouldn't they be as good or
even a little better with another year of experience and training?

Have you ever taken a drink from a cup expecting like lemonade or something, but then it was just water and it tasted absolutely brutal? That's what I liken this season to. We were thirsty last year and drunk some water. It was nice and all, but we wanted more. We thought the cup was gonna be full of lemonade this year. But then we took a drink and it was only water again. Leaves you with a feeling of disappointment, as the lemonade you were expecting has been suspended all year or quit school.

Weird analogy, I know. But let's face it, if we were expecting to return the same crew this season as last season, things would be different. Expectations would have been different. Players probably would react differently to situations. Considering the high ceiling these guys were hoping for coming into the year, when things started to go wrong even before the season even started, it affected the team. Then you had Nolen and Westbrook fighting in Anaheim, and those three bad losses in a row. Then the team started to look like the team from last year at least again, then Nolen gets suspended for the semester. He was absolutely vital to the team's defense and now we're seeing the result of not having him out there.

But one thing, had they held on for a HUGE victory against Michigan State at the barn, we might not be having this conversation in the first place. A win like that could have been the momentum builder this team really needed. Instead, it ended up being a crushing defeat. We haven't played "well" since, IMO.

I don't know the answer but something is wrong and it started showing on the west coast. The effort, body language and attitude on this team is horrible.

They were all Monson players tj - players no one here on the hole wanted

Except for Nolen, Abu Shamala, Busch, and Williams. Say what you want, but JAS, Busch, and Nolen were key parts of that NCAA team last year, all coming up with key plays/moments at certain times a year ago. We absolutely could use a Busch-like spark this year. Last night, in particular.

Wow.

Tubby has been here nearly 3 full seasons. Nearly all the kids on the team are his recruits.

There are extreme attitude issues on this team, that, I predict, will largely disappear next year.

Keep in mind, last year AND the year prior Tubby got a fairly limited team to fight, scrap, and play over their heads more than a few times. This particular team lacks true senior leadership, which the previous two Tubby teams did not. I don't like to pick out a single player as a big problem, but from all observable evidence, LW simply does not gel with his team or his coach. Not quite on the same level as Kris Humphries, but it's clear as day, nonetheless.

"Can Tubby Get the Most Out of His Players?"

A fair question. I would counter with,

"Are the players getting the most out of (and listening to) their proven head coach who has been successful at three very disparate universities?. ... Tulsa (mid-major to the Sweet 16), Georgia (school very much like Minnesota in basketball, to the Sweet 16) and Kentucky (no bigger fishbowl school to a national title and a couple Elite 8s).

(At Kentucky) NCAA title and 4 Elite 8's, not a couple.

At Kentucky FOT? Dont look now - Tubby is in Minnesota

(At Kentucky) NCAA title and 4 Elite 8's, not a couple.

Three years in MN. This is ugly.

Poor recruiting choices, no offense, and the Barn is dead.

There are extreme attitude issues on this team, that, I predict, will largely disappear next year.

Keep in mind, last year AND the year prior Tubby got a fairly limited team to fight, scrap, and play over their heads more than a few times. This particular team lacks true senior leadership, which the previous two Tubby teams did not. I don't like to pick out a single player as a big problem, but from all observable evidence, LW simply does not gel with his team or his coach. Not quite on the same level as Kris Humphries, but it's clear as day, nonetheless.

I do think the issues concerning leadership, team chemistry, and distractions are killing us given the losses of the key players. But, I do not believe it is a problem stemming on one player. Westbrook has not become a problem all of sudden. He has been there all along. His problem was not as pertinent (or his problem was manageable) because the other parts were working. Right now, almost everything is falling apart, because of which Westbrook's problem has become more visible and pertinent. Is it impossible to handle him? I do not know. Tubby has not found a way, which is all I know.

Three years in MN. This is ugly.

Poor recruiting choices, no offense, and the Barn is dead.

If it is dead now, what would you call it during the end of the Monson era???

I'm 65 years old, have all 4 years of eligibility left. I am going to be a walkon next year and show this board what experience and leadership can do. I will be the only player in the history of College Basketball to be older than his coach while realizing he knows more than I do. If I play, I play. If I don't, I'll cheer. Anyone care to join me? Maturity is an awesome thing.

Don

I'm 65 years old, have all 4 years of eligibility left. I am going to be a walkon next year and show this board what experience and leadership can do. I will be the only player in the history of College Basketball to be older than his coach while realizing he knows more than I do. If I play, I play. If I don't, I'll cheer. Anyone care to join me? Maturity is an awesome thing.

I bet when you "walkon" you will have reached your top speed!

Your attitude is good so maybe they should give you a look.

:)

Ken Mink has you beat or did before he pulled an Al Nolen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Mink

Top Bottom