Can the Gophers still Win the West?

Treemagnet

Reaction score
I am not sure how the tiebreakers work but IF the Gophers beat Iowa and Wisconsin AND Purdue and Illinois lose another game does that give the Gophers the division?

I am not sure how the tiebreakers work but IF the Gophers beat Iowa and Wisconsin AND Purdue and Illinois lose another game does that give the Gophers the division?
Yes according to JG and Burnsy this morning.

I saw a quick blurb on ESPN yesterday that their stats nerds predict the division winner as:

52% - Purdue
25% - Iowa
11% - Illinois
10% - Minnesota

Purdue will lose in Bloomington to IU.

Bank it.

IU has to hang its hat on something this year, they'll gut it out for their coach. They love Tom Allen. He's just had it rough the last couple years. Michael Penix Jr. is doing pretty well at Washington.

Not to be rude but this is pretty simple math.

You have 4 teams all tied for first with a 4-3 record and 1 team doesn't lose a game while the others all lose at least 1 more time there is only one team that can win the division.

I get being confused about the tiebreakers because those can get messy but what you laid out there is basically our one path to the top spot. We have to win out and we need both Illinois and Purdue to lose a game.

Not to be rude but this is pretty simple math.

You have 4 teams all tied for first with a 4-3 record and 1 team doesn't lose a game while the others all lose at least 1 more time there is only one team that can win the division.

I get being confused about the tiebreakers because those can get messy but what you laid out there is basically our one path to the top spot. We have to win out and we need both Illinois and Purdue to lose a game.
I think the only way Minnesota can win any tiebreakers is if Minnesota ends in a tie with just Iowa or wisconsin (and I don’t think they win a 3 way tie, I think Iowa would)

Meaning the only tie Minnesota could win would be at 5-4 by beating Iowa, losing to
Wisconsin
Purdue loses twice
Illinois loses twice
Wisconsin loses to Nebraska

Other than that MN has to win outright

Again, just pathetic that we Gopher fans have to sit here at the end of the year and try to figure out tie-breakers to win the West. Just win those earlier games and we wouldn't have to go through this tired exercise every year! (I still love my Gophers, but it's frustrating every year, that we can't take care of business)

Again, just pathetic that we Gopher fans have to sit here at the end of the year and try to figure out tie-breakers to win the West. Just win those earlier games and we wouldn't have to go through this tired exercise every year! (I still love my Gophers, but it's frustrating every year, that we can't take care of business)

We're not special in frustration this year as Gopher fans. Fans for every team in the West are saying the same. Heck, we were all ready to crown Illinois a couple weeks ago before they lost to two seemingly inferior teams.

Last edited:

We're not special in frustration this year as Gopher fans. Fans for every team in the West is saying the same. Heck, we were all ready to crown Illinois a couple weeks ago before they lost to two seemingly inferior teams.
Yeah, this year is messy.

Sucks knowing that the Purdue loss is what is most likely going to keep us from winning the division (outright or through tiebreakers) but it is what it is. Even with all the frustration I would rather be one of the teams in the hunt as opposed to being in the shoes of Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern, on the outside looking in at all the chaos.

Sucks knowing that the Purdue loss is what is most likely going to keep us from winning the division (outright or through tiebreakers) but it is what it is. Even with all the frustration I would rather be one of the teams in the hunt as opposed to being in the shoes of Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern, on the outside looking in at all the chaos.

Yeah, the Goph/Boiler game was frustrating. So many things had to wrong to lose that game and they did. It's weird that Purdue has knocked of the only two West teams that were ranked when they played them (MN/IL) and then played terrible in other games (WI/IA).

I don't think it's going to happen - but the Gophers have given me all I could ask for after that horrendous October - they are in a spot where these November rivalry games feel meaningful beyond just the trophies.

Yeah, the Goph/Boiler game was frustrating. So many things had to wrong to lose that game and they did. It's weird that Purdue has knocked of the only two West teams that were ranked when they played them (MN/IL) and then played terrible in other games (WI/IA).
That is kind of their thing. They get big upsets over ranked teams and then play like garbage against other teams.

I do think it's more than possible that IU beats Purdue in Bloomington. It's all a moot point though if we don't win our last 2. Mr. Obvious here.

I do think it's more than possible that IU beats Purdue in Bloomington. It's all a moot point though if we don't win our last 2. Mr. Obvious here.
Yea - it's a tall task. I think we beat IA....I'm more skeptical about WI this year.

That’s not strange if you talk to a Purdue fan. It’s the norm

My Purdue buddies fully expect to lose an ugly game one or both of the next two weeks

However, all three of these teams have played in Indy.....we've never.

Top Bottom