Can redshirts play in Jan 1 bowl and not burn redshirt status??

diefirma

Reaction score
Quick question. Can Rod Smith, Gentry and some of the other redshirts play in the bowl game without burning their redshirt status? Put another way, when does the 2014 season end and the 2015 season begin?

It would be fun to see some of the redshirts but obviously they are not going to play if that would burn their 2014 redshirt status.

Kill has suggested (in previous years) that he would like to see this put in as an option.
But, as the Stan The Caddy stated, No.

If second semester started before the bowl, which I don't think it does, would they be eligible?

If second semester started before the bowl, which I don't think it does, would they be eligible?

No. The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year.

No. The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year.

Exactly. It's a redshirt season not a redshirt semester. This bowl is part of the 2014 season, therefore these kids are still redshirts.

The real question is can Jeff Jones participate in practices and team activities leading up to the bowl game.

Exactly. It's a redshirt season not a redshirt semester. This bowl is part of the 2014 season, therefore these kids are still redshirts.

The real question is can Jeff Jones participate in practices and team activities leading up to the bowl game.

Could Jones play? Our secret weapon?

Could Jones play? Our secret weapon?

No - because of how he was cleared he is ineligible this year. From what Coach Kill has said I believe he is cleared to start practicing in Spring, but that is "next year", where the Bowl is "this year". That's partially why the team that wins the title game January 12, 2015 is actually the 2014 National Champion. The other part is AP and others used to issue it before Bowls (thus the 1960 Gophers were National Champions even though they lost the Rose Bowl), and they didn't want to skip a year when they switched.

The one rule I would love to see change is the medical redshirt. If a guy gets hurt in game 3 and misses the year he can usually get a medical RS. So if a guy gets hurt before the season (ie Poock) why can't he play 2-3 games on the back end and still get a medical RS? Now I know that when it comes to freshmen there would be concern about this being abused with freshmen being played for spot duty but what's so wrong with that? When our DL was decimated we had to play Gary Moore for a few games. Why should he use a whole year of eligibility? Same with Connor Mayes who had to step in for a few series.

Top Bottom