Can Mizzou land a sitting Power 5 AD? (These are potential candidates who fit the profile of sitting Power 5 ADs with SEC experience: Mark Coyle, MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Matter:

These are potential candidates who fit the profile of sitting Power 5 ADs with SEC experience. In no particular order, stream of consciousness style …

• Here’s a Big Ten AD with SEC history: Minnesota’s Mark Coyle. He was Boise State’s AD during Drinkwitz’s time there as an offensive assistant. Coyle, 52, has SEC chops, too, serving as deputy AD at Kentucky under Mitch Barnhart, the SEC’s longest-tenured AD. Coyle helped hire John Calipari at UK and worked closely with his hoops program. At Boise, he hired Harsin. At Minnesota, he hired P.J. Fleck. That’s 2 for 2 on the football front.

Go Gophers!!

I think he has done a pretty good job but I am not concerned that he will go. Even if he did go, than he wasn't a good long term fit for us.

per Matter:

These are potential candidates who fit the profile of sitting Power 5 ADs with SEC experience. In no particular order, stream of consciousness style …

• Here’s a Big Ten AD with SEC history: Minnesota’s Mark Coyle. He was Boise State’s AD during Drinkwitz’s time there as an offensive assistant. Coyle, 52, has SEC chops, too, serving as deputy AD at Kentucky under Mitch Barnhart, the SEC’s longest-tenured AD. Coyle helped hire John Calipari at UK and worked closely with his hoops program. At Boise, he hired Harsin. At Minnesota, he hired P.J. Fleck. That’s 2 for 2 on the football front.

Go Gophers!!
I guess they forgot about Dino Babers.

If Ben was his guy there is probably nothing to worry about. If he was overruled on Ben by the selection committee/school leadership then he is probably open to other options. I think we probably find out the answer to that question shortly.

per Shooter:

Word is the Parker Executive Search firm, for a $125,000 fee, has identified Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle as one of three candidates for the Missouri AD. job.

Go Gophers!!

I think the bigger point is that he is identified as open to interviews.
Was he though? Did he just want a raise? Do we know there was genuine interest? Search firms and agents put out names just to stir it up sometimes. Mark Coyle makes over a million a year while the old Mizzou AD had a salary around just over 500k I think.

Why wouldn't he be? I am very happy in my current job and don't have plans to leave, but if an opportunity came up I would certainly listen. No reason for MC to be any different.

Why wouldn't he be? I am very happy in my current job and don't have plans to leave, but if an opportunity came up I would certainly listen. No reason for MC to be any different.
For an average employee, yes, that is how it works. For very senior leaders it generally does not work this way. For a public facing leader that is making promises to his team, promises to donors/shareholders, hiring new people, selling the plan to the Corporate leadership, and carrying the vision and budget for an entire organization there is a professional courtesy that comes with the job - not to mention a big compensation package. How would anyone take you seriously if you introduce your 3 year vision for the program, sell everyone on it - but then have to cut the meeting short so you can make your flight for an interview?

If he interviewed I would guess he is on his way out and he has already made it clear to the higher ups (or they made it clear to him). In that case both are preparing for the change and everyone will land on their feet without burning any professional bridges. If he did not interview then this is all a waste of time.

It is all speculation at this point.

She's from the SEC, right? I assume she'd reach out to her former SEC colleagues for some names.

The wording of this part seems odd: "the first Hispanic and woman of color...." Does that mean other Hispanic or women of color have held such a position but nobody who fit both categories ?

The wording of this part seems odd: "the first Hispanic and woman of color...." Does that mean other Hispanic or women of color have held such a position but nobody who fit both categories ?
Are you familiar with mizzous past 6 years.

Must mean both as UVA hired Carla Williams as the first black women AD of a power 5 school, then Vandy followed and then recently Duke.

Top Bottom