Can’t handle the build up

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
I really didn’t expect to be this nervous, anxious, excited, etc. about just about every game this season. by this last regular season game, I’ve just about hit my peak. I’m running out of ways to deal with the nerves for this Saturday. The toll that this season has had on me so far is huge, with the amount of emotions these games have pulled out of me, it’s going to take all off season to regroup. This may sound very overdramatic, and I used to make fun of sports fans that get sucked this far into their favorite teams, but I was just not prepared to see the Gophers do what they’ve done so far, and I’m still not prepared for what could still happen here in the end of this season. I’ve slowly turned into one of those fans that would contemplate missing the birth of my child if it was on a Gopher game day. Especially this season. Anyone else feel the same? Or am I just goin a little nuts?

every saturday i wake up in a cold sweat with my heart racing. you are not alone

It's only (arguably) the biggest game in Gophers history. Win and it's the Rose bowl for the first time in 58 years.

I really didn’t expect to be this nervous, anxious, excited, etc. about just about every game this season. by this last regular season game, I’ve just about hit my peak. I’m running out of ways to deal with the nerves for this Saturday. The toll that this season has had on me so far is huge, with the amount of emotions these games have pulled out of me, it’s going to take all off season to regroup. This may sound very overdramatic, and I used to make fun of sports fans that get sucked this far into their favorite teams, but I was just not prepared to see the Gophers do what they’ve done so far, and I’m still not prepared for what could still happen here in the end of this season. I’ve slowly turned into one of those fans that would contemplate missing the birth of my child if it was on a Gopher game day. Especially this season. Anyone else feel the same? Or am I just goin a little nuts?

Oh, there are so many in this boat!! It’s all that’s on my mind! I hit refresh on this site hundreds of times a day for any new post!!

My brother (Domer) warned me some 35 years ago that college football will 'eat your heart out' when he saw I was getting in deep with the Gophs. The way I look at it for us now is just be glad you're alive and can have these feelings.

I will be ok if we are lucky enough to play in the big ten champ game, knowing we’ve already beaten WI and will likely be going to the Rose Bowl.

Strangely, this game > big ten champ game.

I feel the same way in that this game is bigger to me then the Big Ten Championship game. I think it is mainly because Ohio State seems so unbeatable this year.

Has been a dream season and this would be the perfect cap to the regular season. Beat Wisconsin for the second year in a row, win the West outright, 11-1, Rose Bowl in sight.....

From there it is all gravy, Big Ten Title, CFP, unbelievable as Gopher football fans that on 11/26 all those things are still on the table.

Most years in the past we have been limping to the finish line in November, hoping for bowl eligibility or to improve our standing to get out of the low-tier Big Ten bowls.

To the OPs point - I saw my investment level in this team go way up late last season. As a fan I am typically not one to get overly into the game while watching but I was on the edge of my seat (or on my feet pacing) for that Wisconsin game last year and it hasn't really let up this year. Team is so much fun to watch and as a fan it is easy to buy in when you feel like your team has a legit shot to win in every game they play which is where we are at right now. I loved the Fleck hire but it was during that Purdue game last year that I finally saw what this team could become, and it was something very different then what we have been accustomed to around here.

Been saying for years that this state is ready to get behind Gopher football, they just need a reason. The level of interest in the program is as high as I can ever remember it being and the future looks very very bright. Is it Saturday yet?

New stuff for us. I watch a lot of college football. Every year when I watch the "big" games with Fowler/Herbstreit on the call, I often imagine how I'd feel as a fan of one of the teams with so much to lose. So it isn't like I haven't thought about this. But, It is one thing to fight to get in a bowl, or fight further to upgrade from car muffler bowl to a New Years bowl. It is quite another to go into a game that has things like Rose Bowls and college playoff implications. I doubt I could ever get used to this. I will always fondly remember this season but it would go to another level if it had a happy ending.

Last edited:

If the Gophers can perform at the level of the Penn St game, the division is in the bag.

I will be ok if we are lucky enough to play in the big ten champ game, knowing we’ve already beaten WI and will likely be going to the Rose Bowl.

Strangely, this game > big ten champ game.

Yeah. If we win, next week is a win-win.

We get an extra game of Gophers football. Win and we go to the playoffs. Lose and we go to the Rose Bowl.

If the Gophers can perform at the level of the Penn St game, the division is in the bag.

It will be a different perform requirement. I feel PSU game was an emotion based game and they played right into it with a turnover right away. This will be gut check time and pride. Emotion needs to be there too but they all read what we read and they know the stakes for all the fans. The Gophers cannot be thinking about "ifs" like us fans do. They need to be thinking "we want this". Take care of the ball, get pissed and don't over think.

If we win on Saturday, I don't care if we get outscored 100-0 for the rest of the year.

It's all gravy, man.

My brother (Domer) warned me some 35 years ago that college football will 'eat your heart out' when he saw I was getting in deep with the Gophs. The way I look at it for us now is just be glad you're alive and can have these feelings.
Yeah, man. Win or lose, it's about feeling the feelings. This is new territory, rare air. I feel like I'm better prepared for a loss than for winning, just out of experience.

Yeah, man. Win or lose, it's about feeling the feelings. This is new territory, rare air. I feel like I'm better prepared for a loss than for winning, just out of experience.

we all are. If we win on Saturday none of us will know what to do but it will be awesome :)

I feel the same way in that this game is bigger to me then the Big Ten Championship game. I think it is mainly because Ohio State seems so unbeatable this year.

Has been a dream season and this would be the perfect cap to the regular season. Beat Wisconsin for the second year in a row, win the West outright, 11-1, Rose Bowl in sight.....

From there it is all gravy, Big Ten Title, CFP, unbelievable as Gopher football fans that on 11/26 all those things are still on the table.

Most years in the past we have been limping to the finish line in November, hoping for bowl eligibility or to improve our standing to get out of the low-tier Big Ten bowls.

To the OPs point - I saw my investment level in this team go way up late last season. As a fan I am typically not one to get overly into the game while watching but I was on the edge of my seat (or on my feet pacing) for that Wisconsin game last year and it hasn't really let up this year. Team is so much fun to watch and as a fan it is easy to buy in when you feel like your team has a legit shot to win in every game they play which is where we are at right now. I loved the Fleck hire but it was during that Purdue game last year that I finally saw what this team could become, and it was something very different then what we have been accustomed to around here.

Been saying for years that this state is ready to get behind Gopher football, they just need a reason. The level of interest in the program is as high as I can ever remember it being and the future looks very very bright. Is it Saturday yet?

I’m 28, and I’ve been going to Gopher games since I was 6, and I’ve always been a big fan. But I was never a die hard, I’d have to agree with you that that started for me around the Purdue game last year. I was at the Wisconsin game, and that was the best Gopher football experience I’d ever had until the Penn State game happened. This state can definitely become a Gopher football state again, I think it used to be long ago. It’s just needed that spark.

I am a nervous wreck but also confident. Badger fans better beware as there is 50 years of frustration built up. I hope it is going to be as loud as I imagine it to be. No sitting for this guy.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every saturday i wake up in a cold sweat with my heart racing. you are not alone

If you were a Badger you'd have gotten over that years ago. Uncharted territory for youse rodents.

You people act like the press is still writing about yours LOL.
Not at all, at least I don’t. I’m just saying you guys have none, but like to act like you’re hot sh1t. “We’ve been used to winning for awhile now”, yeah alright bud. Obviously not when it matters most ya don’t. Chokin’ on cheddar over there in Madison.

This is the most agonizing sports week I can remember. On Sunday, I warned my family that it would be in their best interest to be out of the house on Saturday afternoon. All my children, of which there are four, can recite, on cue, “better dead than red”. The unintended consequence is that my 8-year-old daughter, who started celebrating Christmas a week ago, has put her red Christmas PJs back in hibernation until Saturday night. I’m literally dying in SEC country. And there is no one for miles that even cares that Minnesota and Wisconsin even play football.

You aren’t alone my friend! I’ve been a DIE HARD Gopher fan for over 40 years. I was the nerdy kid glued to his cheap AM radio on Saturday’s to listen to virtually every game. I still hear Ray Christiansen’s voice in my head. If we won, it was a happy weekend. If we lost, it took me a couple of days to somewhat get over it. After the Lou Holtz betrayal and the historic heart-breaking losses (Michigan affected me the most), followed by the string of mostly average to mediocre coaches and teams, I never thought this day would come. I had ZERO hope, yet I continued to be a huge fan, just hoping for average-ness and an ocasional big win.

Now, I am over-the-top excited-just like you. I couldn’t even watch most of the Penn State game until it was over. I recorded it, and got busy working on house projects and would sneak a peak at the score on my phone. After seeing we had the lead, I could watch a bit until it got too close. That’s how bad I want the good guys to win! I will be in seventh heaven if we beat the Badgers.

I have to ask: Are you going to the game? If not, will you be watching from home? Do you have your heart medicine ready?

Who knew how much winning would take a toll on us. A different type of toll completely from losing.

Top Bottom