Campus Tailgating May Have Become Easier

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
Link

Per a city council vote, businesses can now use 12 days a year to clear out their parking lots or patios in favor of anything that brings in patrons as long as it conforms with other Mpls rules. I know this rule already existed for 12 days per year for campus bars/restaurants, but this may be good for the other non-bar businesses in the area to allow tailgating in their lots.

Just a thought.

Whomever is complaining about patio noise should be taken out behind the woodshed.

Doesn't look like any change was made in the tailgating rules. Probably more of a Target field deal than Gophers, since 8 were already allowed.
The change that needs to be made is the parking/tailgating restrictions that currently only allow tailgating around the Metrodome. That's it. Even the lots around the U are technically not supposed to be allowed to be tailgated in. The university gets away with it, the local bars/businesses cannot.

Is there any chance that in the future, when the vikings are using TCF for two seasons, places like Sally's will have to be making tough choices around running a tent patio on Sunday vs Saturday? I'd hate to see a situation where local bars start "saving up" their days to match Viking game day at the expense of Gopher game day.

Is there any chance that in the future, when the vikings are using TCF for two seasons, places like Sally's will have to be making tough choices around running a tent patio on Sunday vs Saturday? I'd hate to see a situation where local bars start "saving up" their days to match Viking game day at the expense of Gopher game day.

I suppose, but it could also result in a much stronger push to expand the allowable use (i.e. Vikings fans agitate to expand tailgating ordinance).

Doesn't look like any change was made in the tailgating rules. Probably more of a Target field deal than Gophers, since 8 were already allowed.
The change that needs to be made is the parking/tailgating restrictions that currently only allow tailgating around the Metrodome. That's it. Even the lots around the U are technically not supposed to be allowed to be tailgated in. The university gets away with it, the local bars/businesses cannot.

I thought that too. Check out the new ordinance. Somebody plot this on a map...

319.310. - Prohibited acts.

(a) The licensee of a parking lot shall not permit the repairing except in an emergency, dismantling or wrecking of any motor vehicle or the storage of any junk motor vehicle on the parking lot.

(b) No person shall charge, or offer to charge, a fee for parking on any property other than a validly licensed commercial parking lot.
(c) No licensee of a parking lot, nor an agent or employee of a licensee, shall encourage, knowingly allow or knowingly permit the possession or consumption of intoxicating liquor or 3.2 percent malt liquor, as defined by Minnesota Statutes, Section 340A.101, by any person on the licensed premises except where such possession or consumption has been expressly permitted by license or permit granted under Title 13 or Title 14. This prohibition shall not apply to parking lots located within an area defined as one commencing at the southwesterly bank of the Mississippi River where said riverbank is intersected by the centerline of 4th Avenue South, extended; thence southwesterly along the centerline of 4th Avenue South to the centerline of 6th Street South; thence southeasterly along the centerline of 6th Street South to the centerline of 11th Avenue South; thence northeasterly along the centerline of 11th Avenue South, extended to the southwesterly bank of the Mississippi River, thence northwesterly along said riverbank to the point of beginning, and commencing at the centerline of 7th Street North, thence northwesterly to the centerline of Hoag Avenue, thence northerly along the centerline of Hoag Avenue to the centerline of 6th Avenue North, thence easterly along the centerline of 6th Avenue North to the centerline of 5th Street North, thence southeasterly along the centerline of 5th Street North to the centerline of 3rd Avenue North, thence southwesterly along the centerline of 3rd Avenue North to the centerline of 7th Street North.

I have no idea where Hoag Avenue is, so I'm not 100% sure about the Target Field area, but I'm confident my box around the Metrodome area is correct.

The Hoag Avenue area probably refers to the old lots that were on the Target Field site. We were allowed to tailgate there for Gopher games before construction began on Target Field.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

Top Bottom