Cam Wiley in transfer portal

The tweet seems like he is sentimental about his good times and plays here. His written statement said the same. He obviously just knows he is way down the depth chart and by leaving now, he has the opportunity to still play 3 years elsewhere. I could see him doing well in the MWC, C-USA or especially FCS. Maybe he ends up back home at UNLV or Nevada.
Yep, I think this is just a level too high for him. It would be great to see him get playing time in one of the conferences you mention.

Does it? My thought would be that the best schools will be able to recruit off of other rosters and thus further the divide at the top.

Seems like more guys are transferring from top schools because they are stuck behind lots of talent on the depth chart. See Pinckney and Wright for us this year. Also, we've only lost guys to lesser programs thus far. (I guess Itayvion Brown went to Michigan State, but sounds like that was a grades/culture thing we initiated)

ALL the players have to realize that the coaching staff is out recruiting players better than what we now have on campus. So in actuality the depth chart becomes meaningless after the season. So maybe Cam could really see the hand writing on the wall with new recruits coming in. Rather trying to fight for his position, he chose to leave. Simple as that.

Seems like more guys are transferring from top schools because they are stuck behind lots of talent on the depth chart. See Pinckney and Wright for us this year. Also, we've only lost guys to lesser programs thus far. (I guess Itayvion Brown went to Michigan State, but sounds like that was a grades/culture thing we initiated)
There is movement both ways for sure -- but I am not sure if the top isn't benefitting more. Alabama already had a stacked roster and was able to add a good receiver from tOSU and an elite LB from Tennessee. I just think, without much to go on other than anecdotes, that the great teams are going to be able to get great transfers each year and that will out weight the benefits we get from our transfers.

It may be good for us, but I think it will be the worst on G5 teams who won't get any Wrights/Pinckneys, and will see their players whisked away.

ALL the players have to realize that the coaching staff is out recruiting players better than what we now have on campus. So in actuality the depth chart becomes meaningless after the season. So maybe Cam could really see the hand writing on the wall with new recruits coming in. Rather trying to fight for his position, he chose to leave. Simple as that.

Yep, we have Zach Evans coming in and obviously Irving and Thomas have shown a lot of promise. When you consider that there is a good chance that either Mo or Potts is back next season, it's a steep hill to playing time for Cam.

There is movement both ways for sure -- but I am not sure if the top isn't benefitting more. Alabama already had a stacked roster and was able to add a good receiver from tOSU and an elite LB from Tennessee. I just think, without much to go on other than anecdotes, that the great teams are going to be able to get great transfers each year and that will out weight the benefits we get from our transfers.

It may be good for us, but I think it will be the worst on G5 teams who won't get any Wrights/Pinckneys, and will see their players whisked away.

I agree with you there for sure. The G5 teams will definitely suffer. They'll have to be good about getting FCS guys, I guess. And the elite programs like Bama will always be able to cherry pick a couple guys if they want, but I guess I just see those situations as fewer and farther between because of how well they already recruit.

Yep, we have Zach Evans coming in and obviously Irving and Thomas have shown a lot of promise. When you consider that there is a good chance that either Mo or Potts is back next season, it's a steep hill to playing time for Cam.
I don't mean to be obtuse -- but why is there a good chance that either are back?

I agree with you there for sure. The G5 teams will definitely suffer. They'll have to be good about getting FCS guys, I guess. And the elite programs like Bama will always be able to cherry pick a couple guys if they want, but I guess I just see those situations as fewer and farther between because of how well they already recruit.
I see what you are saying, but I think the transfer portal allows them to avoid the bumps in the road and the subsequent "down" years that would allow a lesser SEC to rise up. The reason I think they keep taking the transfers is because of how well they recruit. They're playing are often off to the NFL after 3 years and then these transfers will allow them to manage the roster much easier.

I don't mean to be obtuse -- but why is there a good chance that either are back?
Mo goes pro.....as to Potts.....I don't know that anyone can know what to expect since we still don't really have any clarity on what happened or what kind of long term impact it might have.

I think if his situation was clearly career ending Fleck would have said so. At this point all we know is the inury was season ending, beyond that anything could happen with Potts.

My perspective is that it's a toss-up for either whether they are back. Mo would've gone pro after this year, but will he be healed enough from his Achilles to get a real NFL shot in the late spring? If not, I highly doubt he just walks aways from football, so I could see him coming back and proving his health in 2022.

As far as Potts, no idea what his injury exactly was, other than being very serious. Doesn't sound career-threatening, but Potts has been plagued by injuries since high school. No telling how a college kid responds to an injury that puts them in the hospital like he was for multiple days. I really hope he is back and healthy next year, but it's far from guaranteed.

So to sum it up, I think chances are good that one of them are back, but I guess the odds that we have both on the field in 2022 seems slim.

Mo goes pro.....as to Potts.....I don't know that anyone can know what to expect since we still don't really have any clarity on what happened or what kind of long term impact it might have.

I think if his situation was clearly career ending Fleck would have said so. At this point all we know is the inury was season ending, beyond that anything could happen with Potts.
But safe to say Wiley knows more about Trey's situation and prospects to play next year than any of us.

But safe to say Wiley knows more about Trey's situation and prospects to play next year than any of us.
Sure, but if you are seeing your carries disappear to two guys younger than you, the handwriting is on the wall with another younger body coming in next year (and maybe a transfer if the staff feels we're going to be short).

PJ's job is to recruit his previous recruits replacements, and it appears he did that with Wiley.
That's progress.

If you don’t play transfer in the middle of the year. Makes little sense. What’s the upside?

Got no carries vs Neb, while Williams, Thomas, Irving, and Kramer all get at least six. I don't blame him.

Best of luck to him, wherever he ends up!
My tea leaves suggest Cam and PJ had the transfer discussion prior to the Nebraska game.

Sure, but if you are seeing your carries disappear to two guys younger than you, the handwriting is on the wall with another younger body coming in next year (and maybe a transfer if the staff feels we're going to be short).

PJ's job is to recruit his previous recruits replacements, and it appears he did that with Wiley.
That's progress.

Exactly. He has mostly struggled in the system, and seen at least 3 guys pass him. He also sees his eligibility clock ticking. My uninformed guess is that it was the right call for him to try a different situation and I wish him the best. But at Minnesota, I don't think he beats out any of the starting running backs (and many of the backups) that have played in the last decade at least.

Side note, I wonder if Kobe McCrary getting 25 carries behind the current line would pound opponents as badly as I think....assuming passing game could keep defenses honest?

Saturday pretty much confirmed he was 5th on the RB depth chart (Mo, Potts, Buck o/y, Thomas, Williams). The scary thing is from a depth perspective, we've got just 3 scholarship RB's for the rest of the year.

I love the approach PJ is taking to the portal and the newfound freedom of the players to transfer without sitting. It's going to happen. Everywhere. Don't make enemies and have kids leaving mad. Create a program where kids want to stay and the word of mouth is good so kids also want to transfer in. I think the coaches that are fighting the portal are fighting a losing battle and will have to adapt eventually.
Bingo. It is here and that genie is not going back in the bottle. Embrace the change, adapt and learn how to maximize it, or get left behind. I would say for a guy like PJ, he is tailor made for this kind of dynamic where other coaches who are more set in their ways are going to struggle.

It should settle down and normalize after several years. Right now it is new, exciting and a novelty. Some kids will find greener grass, some will find a brown field and for some, it will be a wash. The beginning always seems crazy, but things eventually find equilibrium. This will be no different.

He saves a year of eligibility by playing 4 games or less this season. Same an Dunlap.
He already redshirted in 2019.

https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/cam-wiley/18375

With the covid extension, he has six calendar years to participate in five seasons (with 2020 counting as one), instead of four in five. 2019 was not a participated season for him, as he only played in three games.

So he had four more seasons, starting with this season.

Hence why his Tweet states that he'll have three more seasons of eligibility left.

Does it? My thought would be that the best schools will be able to recruit off of other rosters and thus further the divide at the top.
Still, only so many schollies to go around per the rules. PWO at a perennial top ten...or, free college at any other P5 school? This is what these players have to decide. I know my parents would say, "FREE COLLEGE!"

IMO I think Clark transfers, I think he is behind these three, throws a beautiful ball, but I think Athan and Kramer bring the duel threat that these guys are looking for and ZA is the elder statesman who was a former starter and I am guessing knows the offense better.
If Morgan returns I think Annexstad & Clark both transfer out. If Morgan does not return, I would still expect Clark to transfer. He was brought in under the Ciarrocca, heavy RPO offense that has transformed to less RPO and more RUTM, "game manager" type offense under Sanford. Clark seems the least game manager type player in the QB room.

Last edited:

It's essentially making the commitment process irrelevant...There is no penalty for leaving so there is no incentive for guys to stay if they cant get everything they want......It puts coaches in an impossible position as far as getting playing time to players to keep them happy....The days of loyalty to the school, coach, fans and finishing what you have started are essentially over for a lot of these kids.
I also believe the portal is why you have teams like Cincinnati in the Top5 and more mid-major teams in the Top25 than usual. More parity can't be bad for the sport.

Loyalty is an unfair standard to hold these kids to. What about coaches loyalties? Loyal fans? LOL. Fans are definitely more fickle than the players.

Last edited:

He saves a year of eligibility by playing 4 games or less this season. Same an Dunlap.
As mentioned Wiley already redshirted. Also Dunlap played in 5 games already this year according to this: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats

It could have just been personal reasons they both needed to go home and it was just better to do it immediately rather than finishing the season. I'm not a fan of guys leaving in the middle of the season especially if redshirting isn't an option anymore but at the same time I'm not in their shoes so I can't say for sure what they're going through. They're the ones essentially giving up a year of eligibility.

As mentioned Wiley already redshirted. Also Dunlap played in 5 games already this year according to this: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/stats

It could have just been personal reasons they both needed to go home and it was just better to do it immediately rather than finishing the season. I'm not a fan of guys leaving in the middle of the season especially if redshirting isn't an option anymore but at the same time I'm not in their shoes so I can't say for sure what they're going through. They're the ones essentially giving up a year of eligibility.
I assumed that both just wanted to be some of the first players on the market to increase their visibility.

I think it is hard to be a part of something that your heart is not all the way into. I think asking a kid to "hold on" is not healthy for them or the locker room. I am guessing it is all part of those "tough conversations for breakfast" that has led to players realizing they are better off transferring. I do think there will be other transfers, but they enjoy the locker room and the journey enough to hold on. These two did not. A good decision for all parties involved.

If Morgan returns I think Annexstad & Clark both transfer out. If Morgan does not return, I would still expect Clark to transfer. He was brought in under the Ciarrocca, heavy RPO offense that has transformed to less RPO and more RUTM, "game manager" type offense under Sanford. Clark seems the least game manager type player in the QB room.
Transfers are typically not as predictable as one would think. Not sure what the difference is in a RPO qb and a game manager qb. Also not sure what you mean when you say Clark is the least game manager type.

Thanks for clarifying. Dunlap sat out last year, so eligibility shouldn't be a problem for him. Also believe he redshirted in 2018, so at least two years left for him

Exactly. He has mostly struggled in the system, and seen at least 3 guys pass him. He also sees his eligibility clock ticking. My uninformed guess is that it was the right call for him to try a different situation and I wish him the best. But at Minnesota, I don't think he beats out any of the starting running backs (and many of the backups) that have played in the last decade at least.

Side note, I wonder if Kobe McCrary getting 25 carries behind the current line would pound opponents as badly as I think....assuming passing game could keep defenses honest?
You took me down memory lane -- only considering scholarship runnings backs I think I'd take him over James Gillum and Lamonte Edwards (had high hopes) -- otherwise I would entertain someone taking him over Berkeley Edwards -- but anyone else is a wrong answer.

Top Bottom