Cam Wiley in transfer portal

we knew we were going to need some to transfer out, and Cam isn't surprising, just timing

But I also understand he might not want to go through grind of practice (and still risk injury)/etc to just sit on bench

Wish young man well

Fleck's job in creating an elite program is to find someone better than you. His players job is to become the best man you can be. Sometimes in being the better man you learn about who you really are. Being a man is accepting your strengths and weaknesses and putting yourself in the best position for success. I have no doubt these are the types of conversations Fleck has with these young men. If they want football success you sometimes need opportunity and if that opportunity is not with this team, than let us help you find another. No hard feelings, just the nature of life and this game.
great post from a former athlete we ho Getz it.

That sucks. Not understanding this and the other recent entry as far as the timing, but good luck to him.

I think it probably has to do with the number of games he's played. Only got carries in two....so he doesn't burn a year of eligibility by entering now and sitting out the rest of the year.

Too bad....but I understand. My (complete) guess is that he's dead set on playing running back. I've said it many times.....with his size and athleticism......he could turn into a major factor on the defensive side of the ball. And I'm sure the coaching staff have pushed that idea on him. But if it's not something he's open to.....I understand him moving on. Because he just doesn't fit the mold of a running back here.....as evidenced by the fact that other guys have passed him up.

Wish Wiley nothing but the best.....and hope he finds a nice soft landing spot. Always nice to see someone transferring on good terms with the coaching staff and the team. I'm sure they all wanted him to succeed, but the best players are going to play.....and the Gophers have legitimate talent at the running back position.

Not a surprise, I wish he had gotten more of a shot. Good luck to him wherever he winds up (UNLV?).

Does Clark transfer in this scenario or do you see him as behind these three?
IMO I think Clark transfers, I think he is behind these three, throws a beautiful ball, but I think Athan and Kramer bring the duel threat that these guys are looking for and ZA is the elder statesman who was a former starter and I am guessing knows the offense better.

Is Wiley off the roster?

Question: A player is given a scholarship to be part of the team. Be able to practice if healthy, and be ready to play in a game if healthy. Cam is choosing not to practice or play in a game. Does that mean come winter, he doesn't have a scholarship anymore? Why allow a player to keep a scholarship if they don't want to participate? I would think that this needs to be examine everywhere. It is a business to a point.

I have a feeling we will be seeing more and more disgruntled Gophers leave the program. Somehow we need to see our #2 and #3 QB in action. We sure don’t want to look like Penn State when their #2 QB was forced into action with only 5 reps during the week. Still hard to stomach players quitting on their brothers.
Why?

I think it probably has to do with the number of games he's played. Only got carries in two....so he doesn't burn a year of eligibility by entering now and sitting out the rest of the year.
This was my first thought as well, but after looking at his history, I think it is incorrect. He's a freshman by eligibility this year. In '19 he red-shirted (played in four games or fewer, so it doesn't count as a year of competition). Last year was a freebie for everyone, so it doesn't count for eligibility or on his 5 year clock. Because he already red-shitrted, this year is going to count for him and he will only have three more years to play after this one whether he plays in 2 games or 10 games. His 5 year clock (now 6 year clock with COVID) still expires after 2024.

That all said, I concur that I wish him the best and hope that he finds the opportunity to play as a running back if that's what he wants to do.

IMO I think Clark transfers, I think he is behind these three, throws a beautiful ball, but I think Athan and Kramer bring the duel threat that these guys are looking for and ZA is the elder statesman who was a former starter and I am guessing knows the offense better.
People have been predicting a gopher qb transfer for years it feels like.

This is a good transfer for both parties I think. I like Cam and was fine with being patient with his development, but I’m also okay with having a scholarship freed up to pursue another talent that may be more impressive and needed.

Not to drift this off of Wiley and into a QB thread, but the predictions of a transfer are always there but if the player wants to stay at the power 5 level it isn't that simple as those teams are unlikely to take on an unproven QB transfer.

This is a good transfer for both parties I think. I like Cam and was fine with being patient with his development, but I’m also okay with having a scholarship freed up to pursue another talent that may be more impressive and needed.
Yep, timing is a little unfortunate with our current depth at the position. But assuming Wiley wants to be a RB the move makes a lot of sense for the team and the player.

Something has to give because it is not good roster management to have 5 scholarships tied up in quarterbacks.

Not to drift this off of Wiley and into a QB thread, but the predictions of a transfer are always there but if the player wants to stay at the power 5 level it isn't that simple as those teams are unlikely to take on an unproven QB transfer.
Exactly. It’s a huge risk to enter the portal. Especially if you haven’t played at all. Even if you want to go to a group of five team.

So with Dunlap and Wiley, why get in the portal mid-season? They can't enroll and play for another team right now. Why not just wait til the end of the season?

Not surprising. He got passed up by two freshmen down to what looks like 5th or 6th string. Good luck to the young man ✌️

Not surprising. He got passed up by two freshmen down to what looks like 5th or 6th string. Good luck to the young man ✌️
The lamentable part is we now only have four running backs with the fourth being a rsFR walkon.

The lamentable part is we now only have four running backs with the fourth being a rsFR walkon.
Can always hand off to Ko Kieft 💪
Seriously though, yeah, it is concerning from a depth perspective as we’ve already lost two for the season.

So with Dunlap and Wiley, why get in the portal mid-season? They can't enroll and play for another team right now. Why not just wait til the end of the season?
Get your name out there early, begin talking to other schools earlier. Gives them time to make a decision without potentially having the pressure of "We've got other (OL/RB) interested so let us know soon" type situations.

Can always hand off to Ko Kieft 💪
Seriously though, yeah, it is concerning from a depth perspective as we’ve already lost two for the season.
Mo could be gone -- maybe even likely is gone -- and we don't know if Potts will ever play football again. I assume we take another scholarship back in this class, or maybe a transfer (though I think its unlikely in the current play now climate that we get some upperclassman to come compete with a senior and two sophomores).

Get your name out there early, begin talking to other schools earlier. Gives them time to make a decision without potentially having the pressure of "We've got other (OL/RB) interested so let us know soon" type situations.
I think that's right. For some, it also might be really difficult to make the necessary effort to continue to practice everyday knowing that you are unlikely to play and that you have already mentally decided to move on.

Top Bottom