Calling repeat of last year

It is when it's your second such loss. Gophers going to go 5-3 down the stretch to finish .500? This team can't have such bad losses because it's extremely unlikely to get equally impressive wins.

Our best win was Indiana and they have played poorly since dropping our game and are most likely out of the top-25 now. Our best non-conference wins are probably Bucknell and SDSU as Depaul, Va Tech and Indiana state will not get close to the tourney. Wisky is playing well right now and will probably beat us at home and on the road. No chance against OSU. MSU with Green will beat us. 4 more wins does not get us in unless they win 3 in the B10 tourney again.

LAgopher said:
Fair enough...I never meant to say we would for sure lose 10 straight just trying to point out that I think people have a right to be mad about tonight and concerned about the rest of the season. Loss tonight is moot if the find a way to win at Neb and beat Bucky at home but it won't happen if they play like they did the last 3 min tonight.

Makes sense.

Pewterschmidt said:
Please tell me if I'm wrong but I see this team with no confidence losing Sunday to Nebraska and they take that negative energy into an incredibly difficult stretch at home. Rip me if you want but I called last year and I see a similar collapse where they are thankful to make the NIT.

Unprepared teams can look ugly when the tough games are at home and upsets abound on the road. At the end of the year we'll be lucky to beat Nebraska at home.
Looking at your first sentence - your wrong.

Looking at your first sentence - your wrong.

Looking at you're sentence-I see you were wrong. Nebraska is a lot like Iowa...a garbage team that plays scrappy. We don't do well with teams like that. It is a legit worry.

Did another player get hurt or leave that all of a sudden we are a different team now? Did Al get hurt again?

Just gotta beat Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. Win at NW. Beat Indiana and nebraska at home and they are 9-9.

This game sucked, no doubt about it, but it ain't over.

9-9?? Really? Wow! What a great coach we have. The path is clear. We can storm into the post season with 9 Big Ten wins and everyone is happy. I can't wait. It is my dream. 8 teams make it from the Big Ten and we might be number 8. This is where we are at? This is success? Count me out.

Don't be so myopic

This is not all about us and our program.

I really hate losing to Iowa. Twice.

However, this loss did not happen in a vacuum. This is what this year in the BT is like.

tikited said:
Looking at you're sentence-I see you were wrong. Nebraska is a lot like Iowa...a garbage team that plays scrappy. We don't do well with teams like that. It is a legit worry.
Ok then - you are still wrong or you're still wrong. One game and your Gopher hoops world has just come crashing down. Nebraska???

This is not all about us and our program.

I really hate losing to Iowa. Twice.

However, this loss did not happen in a vacuum. This is what this year in the BT is like.
Nope! Fire Tubby! Cut every player on the team! They all suck! We're far too good of a program for anyone that is in it right now!

Did another player get hurt or leave that all of a sudden we are a different team now? Did Al get hurt again?

Just gotta beat Nebraska and Wisconsin at home. Win at NW. Beat Indiana and nebraska at home and they are 9-9.

This game sucked, no doubt about it, but it ain't over.

We play Nebraska twice at home? Or are they 2 different teams since one is capitalized and one isn't. Just kidding. I also think we can get to .500

CentralGopher said:
We play Nebraska twice at home? Or are they 2 different teams since one is capitalized and one isn't. Just kidding. I also think we can get to .500

Lol no sorry I meant we have to beat Nebraska, and then Wisconsin at home.

Nebraska beat Indiana at home not at full strength. They now have one of their starters back and we don't matchup well. Before you crucify Pewterschmidt I would suggest some of you "look" at matchups and how and if we can play to these matchups. IMO I think they will have a very tough time in Lincoln. A loss to the Huskers really could demoralize them and tank city for the rest of the season. I win would be monumental in regaining confidence going into the Wisconsin game. A huge game for sure that could dictate the rest of the season.

A huge game for sure that could dictate the rest of the season.

Agreed Ruppert.

Win in Lincoln & the Gophers get a 3rd consecutive chance (got to 3-4 then lost, got to 4-5 then lost) to complete the long haul to .500 after an 0-4 start.

Lose in Lincoln & with our remaining schedule we're staring the #10 or even #11 seed for the Big Ten tourney right in the face.

Good point about Nebraska. They're a much better squad with the big guy (Diaz).

Ok then - you are still wrong or you're still wrong. One game and your Gopher hoops world has just come crashing down. Nebraska???

I wasn't the one you originally replied to, so my hoops world didn't crash. I was miffed at Chip getting pulled for Coleman in the 2nd half. Chip just hit a three, then a drive, then grabbed an offensive rebound, then got pulled so Joe could come in and stink it up. I just don't understand the concept of continuing to play a kid who is having a horrible game. Stick with the hot hand-not the usual minute getter imo.

Nebraska beat Indiana at home not at full strength. They now have one of their starters back and we don't matchup well. Before you crucify Pewterschmidt I would suggest some of you "look" at matchups and how and if we can play to these matchups. IMO I think they will have a very tough time in Lincoln. A loss to the Huskers really could demoralize them and tank city for the rest of the season. I win would be monumental in regaining confidence going into the Wisconsin game. A huge game for sure that could dictate the rest of the season.

They are not going to give up. Why not just watch our very good young players continue to develop? Joe, EE and the others are too young to realize at this stage of their careers they are overmatched at times. They are going to go out every game and play as hard as they can. Young players are inconsistent, but ours are not going to give up. Doom and gloom after every loss is for anonymous boards. They are still playing for the dream.

They are not going to give up. Why not just watch our very good young players continue to develop? Joe, EE and the others are too young to realize at this stage of their careers they are overmatched at times. They are going to go out every game and play as hard as they can. Young players are inconsistent, but ours are not going to give up. Doom and gloom after every loss is for anonymous boards. They are still playing for the dream.

Yeah, one thing this team has showed is at least some resolve. They may do dumb things out there, but they've shown to be pretty good fighters thus far for the most part. Even last year's team didn't really tank the rest of the year, they were in virtually every single game. They just couldn't finish anything off at all. Fortunately, this year, we've seen this team come up with clutch wins, they've shown they can fight and in the end grab a much needed win. Let's hope that the "Good" Gophers show up in Lincoln, we can't have two RPI killing losses within a week.

Selective reading. I said "could" didn't say "would" Sometimes posters get so caught up in driving their opinion home they don't digest the text. It's like.
Yah, well my unit is bigger than yours Jeez, read through the text.

Looking at you're sentence-I see you were wrong.

Hmmm...did you do that on purpose?

Getting back to the point, I get what the OP is saying and it's not completely far fetched with the young, inexperienced team we have. The 2011-12 Gophers have proven that each and every game (save maybe tOSU) from here on out is winnable. They have also proven that each and every game from here on out is losable. There are no gimmes. Last year, we had several games like last night's where we faltered down the stretch and lost a close one to a beatable (with or without Nolen) team. Does that mean we'll lose out the rest of the season? In my opinion, of course not. We have the tools to be successful, it's just going to come down to execution in each game.

With that said, I'm not a big fan of predicting the worst-case scenario just to be able to say "I told you so" in March.

I think people need to realize the Gophers are a "young" team.

Their only senior does not appear to be a leader, Rodney is a "young" junior in that he is not fully developed as a player, Welch is in his first year of BCS basketball and the rest of the rotation are sophomores or freshman. Enjoy the ups and don't get too down on the downs. This team is what it is and will likely play a lot more mature next season.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please tell me if I'm wrong but I see this team with no confidence losing Sunday to Nebraska and they take that negative energy into an incredibly difficult stretch at home. Rip me if you want but I called last year and I see a similar collapse where they are thankful to make the NIT.

Unprepared teams can look ugly when the tough games are at home and upsets abound on the road. At the end of the year we'll be lucky to beat Nebraska at home.
Thank goodness you were wrong.

Looks like Pewterschmidt was proven wrong. Gotta love those classic overreactions.

Gee, great call Pewter. You must be a prophet. :) Try to save your over-reactions until after we are eliminated from tourney contention please. It would save many of us a lot of wasted time on this board if you and the other negative prognosticators would at least wait until an appropriate time to write off the season.

At least Duke won today...no that's right, they lost in overtime to a team they should have blown out. Ouch. This is shaping up to be nice afternoon. Now I need tails to come up on the SB coin flip.

Top Bottom