Caledonia native Eli King in portal from Iowa State

I'm curious if Ben will pursue him, seeing as how we have Asuma committed for the following year.

He was a good football prospect too, wonder if he is thinking about that?

I'm curious if Ben will pursue him, seeing as how we have Asuma committed for the following year.

He was a good football prospect too, wonder if he is thinking about that?
With 4-5 scholarship spots open I don't see how, if he is interested, they don't pursue him. I'm guessing he goes to a mid major, one of the Dakota's, Northern Iowa etc. for playing time.

Heard he may want to play with his brother Noah who is at Kirkwood JC and has played well enough to be getting D1 attention.

Given our depth at the guard position he would play a lot the next couple of years. I don't think him transferring means he can't play power 5 level b-ball. Tamin Lipsey, one of the other freshman guards was an all-big 12 freshman and that likely closes the door on him seeing significant playing time anytime soon.

Given our depth at the guard position he would play a lot the next couple of years. I don't think him transferring means he can't play power 5 level b-ball. Tamin Lipsey, one of the other freshman guards was an all-big 12 freshman and that likely closes the door on him seeing significant playing time anytime soon.

Well, we're supposed to be improving our depth at guard this offseason. I agree with your prognosis for King though and the fact that failing to beat out Lipsey doesn't condemn him.

I would love it if we could get him to transfer to The U! This is the kind of player that we need to build a sustainable, successful program. Skillful, yet maybe in need of some development. Local...maybe even with a desire to be a part of the next (successful) wave of Gopher basketball. A guard who may be able to play the point. Check. Check. Check. Would love to have him here!

This will be telling if Ben is open to take a player who openly chose another program over the Gophers maybe 18 months ago. Will he be the bigger person and open him with a full embrace as a traditional new recruit who didn’t burn the program…time will tell.

I say get the kid. In the worst case scenario, pull a Rick Pitino after 1 year and tell him it isn’t working for you and he’s got to find greener pastures.

Last edited:

I'm actually just as curious if Fleck will pursue him.

I think he's a better football player.

Perhaps he is but looks like he didn't want to continue into college where he'd be hit by 270 pound guys going full speed. Allen Iverson was also a very good high school quarterback I'm told.

I read that King skipped football his senior year of high school. He'd likely be well behind the muscle and weight gaining curve at this point.

Perhaps he is but looks like he didn't want to continue into college where he'd be hit by 270 pound guys going full speed. Allen Iverson was also a very good high school quarterback I'm told.

I read that King skipped football his senior year of high school. He'd likely be well behind the muscle and weight gaining curve at this point.
His brother shut down football recruiting early and both probably would have been better at football. They’re a basketball family.

He’s been hurt and hardly played. I’m a bit skeptical that he makes a lateral move.

It sounds like he needs A LOT of work on his jump shot and that had plenty to do with his lack of minutes this year.

He’s been hurt and hardly played. I’m a bit skeptical that he makes a lateral move.

I would be too because a freshman who hasn't played is taking a risk with a scholarship. Might take him here though. We'll see. Depends upon who else we land this offseason.

This will be telling if Ben is open to take a player who openly chose another program over the Gophers maybe 18 months ago. Will he be the bigger person and open him with a full embrace as a traditional new recruit who didn’t burn the program…time will tell.

I say get the kid. In the worst case scenario, pull a Rick out into after 1 year and tell him it isn’t working for you and he’s got to find greener pastures.
I believe King was one of two players (Cam Heide-to-Purdue) that announced their commitment shortly after Coach Johnson was hired and the consensus on this board was that Coach Johnson didn't have the time to cultivate the same sort of relationships that Oberholzer (UNLV/Iowa State) and Painter had built over time. I don't believe King 'chose' Iowa State over Coach Johnson, but rather over Pitino. Sign him up!

Oh yeah, I'm not pretending to have any idea what his preference would be. I'm assuming it's basketball because he chose basketball - I think each brother did. Iverson was a good football player but a better basketball player.

King had better football offers than basketball offers and he only took a handful of snaps after his SO season.

My entire point was that I think he was a better football player than a basketball player.

Oh yeah, I'm not pretending to have any idea what his preference would be. I'm assuming it's basketball because he chose basketball - I think each brother did. Iverson was a good football player but a better basketball player.

King had better football offers than basketball offers and he only took a handful of snaps after his SO season.

My entire point was that I think he was a better football player than a basketball player.

Sure, but I can see why one would pick basketball over football if he was good at both. Much better chance of a longer career and continued health after sports. From what I understand, Suggs was also a good football player and would have had D1 offers. I didn't know King's father was the high school basketball coach but I guess that would play a big part too.

Sure, but I can see why one would pick basketball over football if he was good at both. Much better chance of a longer career and continued health after sports. From what I understand, Suggs was also a good football player and would have had D1 offers. I didn't know King's father was the high school basketball coach but I guess that would play a big part too.
Yeah, I can definitely see why someone would. He clearly did.

Suggs is another example of someone who was a good football player but a great basketball player.

He didn’t use the tools much this year.
I didn't follow him very closely, but obviously the playing time wasn't there for him. Granted I'm going from what I know of him in his HS career, but he seemed to have both skill and athleticism. I agree with the others who are saying he'd bloom at a mid major, but I think he'd get plenty of PT here.

I'd love to see him on the roster. The guy's got all the tools.
The question is……..will he make us better?
I hope Ben has more choices to make than in the past. IMO, King is not a great choice at this stage.

Top Bottom