Caleb Williams commits to the Gophers

Iā€™m good with this, they have 5-6 spots to fill. And he scored 41 points against them. Not sure I want him starting but a decent rotation player.

Iā€™m good with this, they have 5-6 spots to fill. And he scored 41 points against them. Not sure I want him starting but a decent rotation player.
We have to see if LuCye shows up out of shape.

Luā€™Cye has always been stocky saw him at the Pitino team camp senior summerā€¦ dude competed hard went right after the big name players.. he is not Ray Felton chunkyā€¦ .. he is strong and has always had that buildā€¦ he could stand to loose a couple.. but I was impressed with him than actually forgot about him.. 2020 was such a deep classā€¦ hope they get him

His ball handling ability and quickness was excellent in the game against us. He is a 34% 3 point shooter but my guess- again based on the game I saw, he shot some really low percentage shots that he won't take here. He shoots 84% from the FT line.

Assuming that we get Patterson our guards would be
Asuma 6-3
Patterson 6-1
Mitchell 6-2
Rigsby 6-3
Williams 6-1

All but Asuma have have shot the 3 well in college.

The roster just screams for a 6-5 to 6-6 player that is a threat from 3 and can drive. Evans? Who else?
The other 6-6 kid we are tracking can't shoot.

With what we have so far- I think that the starters would be Patterson, Asuma and Mitchell at the guards with Mitchell and Garcia the forwards
Asuma will not come close to starting unless there is an injury or someone enters the transfer portal today.

Remember how stupid the Bulls were when they traded Olden Polynice for that NAIA forward. I canā€™t recall, but I think his name was pippy or pipper or Scott something. Anyways, everyone knows the level they play at governs their ability - itā€™s just like so obvious.

What ever happened to that Bulls forward anyway?

No offense but Caleb is not Scottie Pippen. And this isn't the 1980s anymore. I think people are being a bit hard on the pickup but no more than some people are overly excited because of one game he had (an exhibition) against the Gophers.

If he is a deep bench player this signing is fine. We always need guys who can be spark plugs for 5-8 minutes or if there is a lot of foul trouble can at least go out and not be an embarrassment. If he is more than that though I feel like something will have gone wrong.

No matter though as long as he wears the uniform he is fine by me!

We have had guys here that couldn't score 41 points in an empty gym. Williams did it against us. He's going to be on a mission. I enjoyed watching him that night against the Gophers...he's got some fight and talent.
True, if they were locked in the gym less than a week.

Asuma will not come close to starting unless there is an injury or someone enters the transfer portal today.
Maybe and then maybe not! Lets see what happens when the guys lace them up. From what I have seen on tape, Asuma would be had pressed to out play Patterson.
Would really like to see him in M/G.

If you want the Gophers to have better players, donate a couple of million $$ to Dinkytown Athletes.

(which reminds me of the Steve Martin routine - "You can have a million dollars and never pay taxes. Step one - get a million dollars...."

Maybe and then maybe not! Lets see what happens when the guys lace them up. From what I have seen on tape, Asuma would be had pressed to out play Patterson.
Would really like to see him in M/G.
Look.....I used to agree with your sentiment but I have come to understand that we have posters here that can tell us exactly how a player is going to play just based on looking at their stats and some highlights. So we can scrap this stupid idea of waiting to be disappointed in players until after they get a chance to come in and show what they can do. :)

Last edited:

It's not worth wasting many scholarships on guys that have potential but need to develop anymore. They aren't going to be around anyway. At most two per year. You take chances on guys that have had success at some level. If he ends up being a 5 minute guy off the bench that can contribute from day one you are way ahead.

Last edited:

It's not worth wasting many scholarships on guys that have potential but need to develop anymore. They aren't going to be around anyway. At most two per year. You take chances on guys that have had success at some level. If he ends up being a 5 minute guy off the bench that can contribute from day one you are way ahead,
This needs to be the mindset. ONLY recruit juniors and seniors that hopefully were all conference (1st, 2nd, 3rd team doesnā€™t matter). Just go in to every offseason planning on having to do that every year

This needs to be the mindset. ONLY recruit juniors and seniors that hopefully were all conference (1st, 2nd, 3rd team doesnā€™t matter). Just go in to every offseason planning on having to do that every year
That said- if this is the strategy that most teams take- there will be a lot of great high school players out there that are available to those who recruit them. I think the better way forward is to develop a strategy and NIL pot to recruit great HS players and retain them while adding portal players to patch holes. Purdue appears to be going this route.

That said- if this is the strategy that most teams take- there will be a lot of great high school players out there that are available to those who recruit them. I think the better way forward is to develop a strategy and NIL pot to recruit great HS players and retain them while adding portal players to patch holes. Purdue appears to be going this route.
Pretty sure by the time teams figure out their strategy for how to survive in this new world things will shift again and there will be a whole new mess to sort out :)

... according to Nadine on GH, CW had 30+ D1 offers
Not offers. Letters and contacts. I think he had one D1 visit out in California. I like him as a depth pick up or who knows maybe more. Maybe he is the type of kid who gets hot (we've seen it) and wins us a few games we wouldn't have won.

... according to Nadine on GH, CW had 30+ D1 offers
Not offers. Letters and contacts. I think he had one D1 visit out in California. I like him as a depth pick up or who knows maybe more. Maybe he is the type of kid who gets hot (we've seen it) and wins us a few games we wouldn't have won.
fixed it...thanks for the correction

No offense but Caleb is not Scottie Pippen. And this isn't the 1980s anymore. I think people are being a bit hard on the pickup but no more than some people are overly excited because of one game he had (an exhibition) against the Gophers.

If he is a deep bench player this signing is fine. We always need guys who can be spark plugs for 5-8 minutes or if there is a lot of foul trouble can at least go out and not be an embarrassment. If he is more than that though I feel like something will have gone wrong.

No matter though as long as he wears the uniform he is fine by me!
That was just a hyperbolic joke aimed at the generic argument that the league he played in matters.

Iā€™m sure you feel that what governs whether he is worthy of a spot is his ability.

The poster with the original OP has a history of being a ā€œprick without a cause.ā€ Thus, itā€™s also a bit ironical, to others that continually read said posterā€™s repeated shallow insults disguised as opinion.

That was just a hyperbolic joke aimed at the generic argument that the league he played in matters.

Iā€™m sure you feel that what governs whether he is worthy of a spot is his ability.

The poster with the original OP has a history of being a ā€œprick without a cause.ā€ Thus, itā€™s also a bit ironical, to others that continually read said posterā€™s repeated shallow insults disguised as opinion.
His real name is Dave Horseshit..

Top Bottom