Bye-bye "Do the Gopher" - Hello "Row the Boat": Will PJ bring Row-the-boat dance?

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Bye-bye "Do the Gopher" - Hello "Row the Boat": Will PJ bring Row-the-boat dance?

At WMU Fleck implemented a bunch of in-game traditions, including a "Row the Boat" dance at the end of the third quarter.

Link to traditions: https://youtu.be/IgHyEbMQ-OE

Embed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IgHyEbMQ-OE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Link to a low-quality video showing the "Row the Boat" dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oQ2ZN9_Po

Embed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x8oQ2ZN9_Po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will it make the cut and replace "Do the Gopher"??? Only time will tell.

P.s. - don't think the Chicago Blackhawks goal song (Chelsea Dagger by The Patellis) would fly to well with Wild fans...

I've always thought "Lets go Crazy" by Prince would be good. Of course now that is the Wild goal song. We should of made the switch when the Wild did.

It looks like Fleck was working to create traditions because WMU didn't have any. There are already some traditions here, including some similar to what's on that video. Some have languished due to lack of attention. I hope that Coach talks with lots of folks to understand what we already and incorporates that into what we do going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Do the Gopher" needs to stay... IMO.

WMU owns the trademark for Row The Boat so will have to come up something different.

I'm not a lawyer and barely passed business law in college, but I'm pretty sure they could show PJ on the jumbotron saying "Gopher fans, we need you, it's time to Row the Boat" and then play the song without breaking any trademark laws.

We just won't be able to use it in promotional or marketing materials without buying it from WMU, which in my opinion seems likely anyways. If we offer them $200k they aren't going to turn that down unless the new coach really wants to keep using the phrase.

It looks like Fleck was working to create traditions because WMU didn't have any. There are already some traditions here, including some similar to what's on that video. Some have languished due to lack of attention. I hope that Coach talks with lots of folks to understand what we already and incorporates that into what we do going forward.

Exactly. I think he'll put his spin on some things but it won't be an overhaul.

Do the gopher is good but I'm not sure it's elite. An enhancement wouldn't be a bad thing.

I am not sure about Row The Boat but I think Ski-U-Mah will have a bigger presence.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said he isn't here to replace traditions. He will likely embrace the Gopher dance, our student section loves it even if some of you don't.

What I do hope he does it brings the "students stay and sing the alma mater after the game" with him. We already play it and have the team link arms and sing. It'd be cool if the students (and maybe other fans too) stayed and did it as well. The player conducting the school fight song after is a nice idea as well, would love to see that too. Maybe they could also have to team stay and jam out to our post game show too?

Do the Gopher needs to stay with a dose of SKI-U-MAH. I like that he has connected SKI-U-MAH to his row the boat philosophy, jump right in people the water is warm, and the canoe ride will be fun. It is a lot easier to embrace and try to have fun than sit on the sidelines and self loathe. Be nice to be able to puff out your chest at work to all of those Badger lovers and Hawkeye fans and say yeah, the Gophers are in the house and we are taking over.

He said he isn't here to replace traditions. He will likely embrace the Gopher dance, our student section loves it even if some of you don't.

What I do hope he does it brings the "students stay and sing the alma mater after the game" with him. We already play it and have the team link arms and sing. It'd be cool if the students (and maybe other fans too) stayed and did it as well. The player conducting the school fight song after is a nice idea as well, would love to see that too. Maybe they could also have to team stay and jam out to our post game show too?

Getting students to stay at games en masse? Good luck. Maybe half the lower-level would stay, if he's lucky.

The #1 reason you don't tie uourelaf to his sayings, what the hell is WMU gonna do next year. They gonna feel awfully stupid with all that hype stuff and a not so hype coach.

Keep our traditions, make them bigger, start winning.

I'm not a lawyer and barely passed business law in college, but I'm pretty sure they could show PJ on the jumbotron saying "Gopher fans, we need you, it's time to Row the Boat" and then play the song without breaking any trademark laws.

We just won't be able to use it in promotional or marketing materials without buying it from WMU, which in my opinion seems likely anyways. If we offer them $200k they aren't going to turn that down unless the new coach really wants to keep using the phrase.

The U could conceivably license the trademark from WMU. This would allow us to use use it while providing a revenue stream to WMU on something that would otherwise generate nothing sitting in mothballs.

I am not sure about Row The Boat but I think Ski-U-Mah will have a bigger presence.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's killing it with Ski U Mah! Every interview I've seen with him so far has ended with it. Love it!

go with the jump around too. Why not be followers than leaders.

Also, get back the guy/gal that coordinated Do the Gopher and music the first year. Did the same medley each week and it was a huge hit. Medley has been terrible the last few years.

Top Bottom