Bye-Bye Big East

97alumni

Reaction score
The greatest conference of ALL TIME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF BASKETBALL *RME* - just went down in flames.

Meanwhile the "over rated" conference has a team in the final game.

Excuse me while I laugh until Midnight Madness starts.

Go State!

Big East

So sad to see them leave...my least favorite conference, esp UCONN. 2nd least favorite - ACC.

You are living in denial if you think that the BT really is a better conference, or even a comparable conference, to the BE THIS YEAR. The future and the past may be different stories, but this year it was no contest. The Big East, regardless of having no teams in the final, proved it's mettle during the tourney.

I don't know that anyone's making any argument that the Big 10 was a better conference than the Big East this season; if so, it's a poor argument. However, if the Big East and/or its supporters were making claims that they were the best conference ever, they needed to place a team in the championship game, if not win it all. As it is, the Big 10 champs defeated the Big East regular season champs and runner up. As good as UNC is, if UConn had beat Michigan State and lost to the Tar Heels (in a close manner), I still think a claim for "best conference ever" could be argued; the way it stands now, not a chance.

I don't know that anyone's making any argument that the Big 10 was a better conference than the Big East this season; if so, it's a poor argument. However, if the Big East and/or its supporters were making claims that they were the best conference ever, they needed to place a team in the championship game, if not win it all. As it is, the Big 10 champs defeated the Big East regular season champs and runner up. As good as UNC is, if UConn had beat Michigan State and lost to the Tar Heels (in a close manner), I still think a claim for "best conference ever" could be argued; the way it stands now, not a chance.

Correct. If you are the best conference in history, your top team better win it all.

It is hard to be objective when I believe this argument is fueled by what's his names comments concerning the Big Ten and the Big East. Top to bottom, the Big East is an overall better conference, but not best ever. MS win over UConn almost had the taste of revenge.

Correct. If you are the best conference in history, your top team better win it all.

Exactly. I mean, the SEC gets all the 'best conference' press in football, but at least their teams actually won the NC.

The Big East, regardless of having no teams in the final, proved it's mettle during the tourney.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. The Big East had only an "okay" tourney - in relative terms, IMO. They rightfully earned the seeds they got, but to have THREE No. 1 seeds and TWO No. 3 seeds in the tourney and not get a single one into the title game is nothing short of a disappointment. I would wager that had you placed the top five Big Ten teams into those same slots that two would have made the Final Four and one could have made the championship game. Obviously, the top five Big Ten teams didn't deserve those spots, but they could have run through there had they gotten them.

Let's break it down. Pitt almost lost every game they played in the tourney, including the #1 vs. #16 game (East Tennessee State), as well as Okie State and Xavier. Louisville got a couple of scares (Morehead State early; Sienna throughout) before losing to MSU. Villanova got to play basically home games in the opening rounds and was down double digits to American at halftime and trailed in the game for 32 minutes. West Virginia lost to a 12-seed in the first round and Marquette almost lost to Utah State in the first round before losing to Missouri in the 2nd round. UConn was good throughout. Syracuse finally ran out of gas.

The Big Ten was just okay, too, but at least they played "above" their seeding a few times and got a team into the finals with that team beating defending champ Kansas, overall No. 1 tourney seed Louisville, and another No. 1 seed UConn.

You are living in denial if you think that the BT really is a better conference, or even a comparable conference, to the BE THIS YEAR. The future and the past may be different stories, but this year it was no contest. The Big East, regardless of having no teams in the final, proved it's mettle during the tourney.

No I'm laughing because they don't have a team in the final game and before the tourney started all the talking heads were ready to give the entire final four to them.

16 Teams In The Big East, 11 in the Big Ten

Simple mathematics tells us should have a higher number of "better" teams. 45% higher. By this definition, did they under-achieve?

They are geographically located in New York, Philly, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, and infiltrate the Chicago, Cincy and "Mah-woh-kee" markets. Who do YOU think ESPN is going slather with attention and plaudits night after night after night after . . . . ?

One thing. Their "bottom" was pretty awful; see: Rutgers, South Florida, and especially, DePaul.

Cut this any way you'd like. I'm happy as hell they're out, and Sparty is in.

Top Bottom