Buried in Sid's Column

husker70

Reaction score
"There is good news on the Gophers football front from an academic standpoint in that defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman and cornerback Michael Carter, who were not allowed to play at the end of the season so they could focus on their studies, have shown great improvement in the classroom."

This statement raises more questions than the good news it delivers. Are Carter and Hageman now eiligible, and have they done what Kill feels they needed to do?

Next is Carter the answer Kill taks about in a great defense. A shutdown corner. A corner who can play man coverage.

And is Hageman now slotted to play defensive tackle?

I certainly hope both are back with team, but most important have learn to apply themselves in the classroom as well.

"There is good news on the Gophers football front from an academic standpoint in that defensive tackle Ra'Shede Hageman and cornerback Michael Carter, who were not allowed to play at the end of the season so they could focus on their studies, have shown great improvement in the classroom."

This statement raises more questions than the good news it delivers. Are Carter and Hageman now eiligible, and have they done what Kill feels they needed to do?

Next is Carter the answer Kill taks about in a great defense. A shutdown corner. A corner who can play man coverage.

And is Hageman now slotted to play defensive tackle?

I certainly hope both are back with team, but most important have learn to apply themselves in the classroom as well.
Were they ever not eligible?

Interesting about Hageman

I saw Hageman play twice in high school. I don't claim to be a D1 evaluator, and on top of it, he looked like a giant playing against a rival downtrodden Minneapolis school. One game stands out in my mind. He made a heck of a catch over the middle and showed some fleetness and wiggle while evading tacklers. I was hoping he'd be a top notch tight end for the Gophers, especially after seeing his lean frame at the spring game prior to him arriving for his freshman year.

I've not got a close glimpse of Hageman since then, however, I've binoculared him on the sidelines. He looks like a different person. If he is really three bills, can he carry it? Does he have the smashmouth mentality that it takes to be a defensive tackle? I'm of the mindset that is something that cannot be coached. I don't know the kid, so yes, this is speculation. Maybe he is a beast?

I saw Hageman play twice in high school. I don't claim to be a D1 evaluator, and on top of it, he looked like a giant playing against a rival downtrodden Minneapolis school. One game stands out in my mind. He made a heck of a catch over the middle and showed some fleetness and wiggle while evading tacklers. I was hoping he'd be a top notch tight end for the Gophers, especially after seeing his lean frame at the spring game prior to him arriving for his freshman year.

I've not got a close glimpse of Hageman since then, however, I've binoculared him on the sidelines. He looks like a different person. If he is really three bills, can he carry it? Does he have the smashmouth mentality that it takes to be a defensive tackle? I'm of the mindset that is something that cannot be coached. I don't know the kid, so yes, this is speculation. Maybe he is a beast?

I've had some of the same thoughts. OL and DL and Offense vs Defense for that matter have different mentalities. Kill seems to think he has potential for a DT from what I've heard.

I think to some extent, certain positions require certain kinds of attitudes. I can't speak to if Hageman has the right kind of attitude to be a DT or if he can cultivate that kind of attitude.

However, he has the absolute perfect size, frame, and athletic ability to play DT. He can hold 300 lbs without having any excess fat. I think it would be a disservice to him and the entire football team if Hageman wasn't "made" into a DT.

Top Bottom