Bumper to Bumper - 03/29/12

IronRanger91

Reaction score
Just heard the beginning to the Bumper to Bumper Show...they played "One Shining Moment" in response to the Gophers playing for the NIT Championship tonight...I love the Gophers and am thrilled with their run...will be watching the game...but I laughed my rear end off when I heard that song...have to have a sense of humor!

While many of the babbling heads here on GH think of the NIT as an insult, the insult is to themselves only. The important thing is, this year the NIT IS important to the team,for whom it is important, and to some of us out here that see and understand the big picture instead of the "ME, HERE, NOW" mentality.

I do not think of it as an insult Dr. Don...I think it's great that they are in the NIT...I do not buy this 69th best team B.S...I just had to laugh at the start of the show.

Thanks Ranger, I did not mean to insinuate you in my comment, but is was meant for several others on GopherHole who just don't frikking get the big picture. Sorry if you took it personal, it was not meant for you.

...and if they win, we'll be hearing a little Starship at noon.

As Clem Haskins used to say at this time of year while making an NIT run: "There are only 6 teams still playing and I'm proud that my fine young Gophers are one of them." :)

As Clem Haskins used to say at this time of year while making an NIT run: "There are only 6 teams still playing and I'm proud that my fine young Gophers are one of them." :)

+1

I was talking to a guy yesterday who is a Gopher fan (especially football) but obviously doesn’t know much about BB. He said “ah, it’s a secondary tourney (which it is) and the teams in it really aren’t very good.” Now, that’s where he is wrong.

The NCAA field of 64 probably includes the top 30 and then 34 of the next 70 or so. There are no automatic qualifiers in the NIT like there are in the NCAA which waters down the NCAA quality. All 32 teams in the NIT were selected based on the same criteria that the at large teams were selected to the NCAA. All 32 of those teams are better than at least 16 of those in the NCAA (seeds 12 thru 16) in my opinion. And some are better than a lot of others in the big tourney especially as they come down to the end of the season.

This tourney run of 4 wins as underdogs is significant for the Gopher program. The sophomore, junior and 3 freshmen who are starting, playing huge minutes and getting great experience bode very well for the future. If we get Mbakwe back, we will be tough to beat. If we don’t, we will be tough to beat. Should be fun.

Golfguy,

There are automatic qualifiers to the NIT. Any team that wins their regular season conference title, but fails to win their conference tournament is given an automatic berth to the NIT.

Top Bottom