Bulldogs

DanvilleGopher

Reaction score
Why are they getting thumped? I'm in Ca so I have no idea if things are closer than they seem but it seems like LaFontaine isn't starting the season on his game?

...the real University of Minnesota hockey team happens to reside in Duluth... 😏

may some point the players for Minnesota have to take responsibility. They looked slow, uninterested, lackadaisical, and pre occupied for much of last night including all of the first period. If you need to be motivated to care about a 4 vs 5 matchup of instate teams you need to look in the mirror.
It also could be that Duluth just simply has better players.

may some point the players for Minnesota have to take responsibility. They looked slow, uninterested, lackadaisical, and pre occupied for much of last night including all of the first period. If you need to be motivated to care about a 4 vs 5 matchup of instate teams you need to look in the mirror.
It also could be that Duluth just simply has better players.
All of this. The Gopher men's hockey team is a paper tiger. Might as well rename them the Minnesota Paper Tigers with the way they perform against tough competition.

I expect Gophers best effort tonight. I'm sure Coach lit into them. You're right though, shouldn't have to. No reason not ready to play. Maybe UMD is just better.

Again, the real University of Minnesota hockey team resides in Duluth. Go Bulldogs!
🎶In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here.. 🎶

Rinse, repeat. The beatings continue now and most assuredly into the future...

Sandelin has our number. Plain and simple. We got worked

I expect Gophers best effort tonight. I'm sure Coach lit into them. You're right though, shouldn't have to. No reason not ready to play. Maybe UMD is just better.
They are just better and better coached

Are the players who go to UMD higher ranked hockey players coming out of high school/juniors - or wherever they would be coming out of - than the players we get?

I just can't fathom why a top North American prospect, who knows he wants to play NCAA DI hockey, would choose Duluth over the Gophers.

Are the players who go to UMD higher ranked hockey players coming out of high school/juniors - or wherever they would be coming out of - than the players we get?

I just can't fathom why a top North American prospect, who knows he wants to play NCAA DI hockey, would choose Duluth over the Gophers.
3 national championships and 5 Fozen Fours in last 10 years might have something to do with it. Sandelin has developed a hell of a program up there. I think lots of Northern, rural kids like the idea of a smaller school "up north" as well. Why does a kid come to Minnesota for foitball when he was recruited by his home state of Georgia. Lots of factors.

Sandelin is a damn good coach, and seems to have a game plan that is effective against MN and his team executes to perfection. I don't like it, but I sure respect it.

Duluth plays in the NCHC.....where almost all the natural Gopher rivalries live. The Gophers got pulled into wackass Big Ten Hockey.....which is an inferior league.

Scott Sandelin teams don't take a shift off and hustle around the ice to make plays. When they have the puck, the other four skaters are moving their feet to support the puck carrier. When we have the puck, they move their feet to pressure it and take away options. When its a loose puck, they are busting their butt to get it. Our boys weren't willing to match that level of hustle and effort for anything more than spurts of a few shifts at a time. If you aren't willing to work for 60 minutes, then games against UMD get long fast.

Yeah, if you can't fathom why players would want to go to a program that has been the top program in the country, and it's not particularly close, over the past 10 years than you are definitely living in the past.

Even then, I would say the recruit caliber of both teams is pretty even, both get a few blue chip top of the line recruits every year, UMD just has a better coach and is better at identifying diamond in the rough recruits.

This is all fine, for me. I'm well out of my depth.

So, the Duluth program has been a lot better than the Saint Cloud program?

Why didn't we hire the Duluth guy, instead of the St Cloud guy, then? Also, wouldn't the St Cloud guy be pretty familiar with how the Duluth team plays and would be ready for that?

Why didn't we hire the Duluth guy, instead of the St Cloud guy, then? Also, wouldn't the St Cloud guy be pretty familiar with how the Duluth team plays and would be ready for that?
No worries. St Cloud is right there, but Duluth has the championships and the tournament success, which is what matters. As far as I know, Sandelin is a Hibbing native and very loyal to UMD and didn't have any interest in the gophers job.

In theory, he should be very familiar. In practice, not so much, I guess.

Sandelin wasn't/isn't leaving Duluth unless it's the NHL and I think he may be past that point after not getting the Kings job a couple years back ( he may not of wanted it either). St. Cloud hired Sandelin's top assistant to take over from Motzco and they have been very good last couple years, top 5 in country. But, they don't have the 10 year run UMD has had and hasn't won a Natty yet, though they are capable.

Motzko was an assistant on the early 00's NC teams. And he elevated SCSU to a title contending team. Motzko is a very good coach who is more likely than not going to bring Gopher hockey back to prominence.

🎶In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here...🎶
Duluth is a hockey town. Minneapolis barely has hockey. It's really quite simple.
Now add the recent national championships and going to Duluth is an easy decision for a hockey player.

Thanks all for educating my naïve behind.

Duluth plays in the NCHC.....where almost all the natural Gopher rivalries live. The Gophers got pulled into wackass Big Ten Hockey.....which is an inferior league.
Once again the NCHC is proving to be the best conference in the country. 5 teams in the top 10 of the pairwise. Damn I miss the WCHA

Once again the NCHC is proving to be the best conference in the country. 5 teams in the top 10 of the pairwise. Damn I miss the WCHA
NCHC has six teams that could win the title.

Big Ten was supposed to have two, but currently has one with the other one needing to figure it out.

Top Bottom