Buggs at Midnight Madness

Saw Buggs at the football game today and he was taller than I expected him to be.

When I first read up on Buggs after he signed I was hoping he could become a KG/Hakim Warrick/JaJuan Johnson type of guy with the good rebounding/jump shooting combo. I couldn't go tonight but did he look like this kind of guy at all? I'm intrigued after seeing positive reviews and stats, even if it's just a scrimmage.

What position was Buggs playing? Was he more on the perimeter or down low?

Perimeter. He can play down low because of his freakish dunking ability, but his jumpshot is unreal. He looks off balance, but they just swish everytime.

When I first read up on Buggs after he signed I was hoping he could become a KG/Hakim Warrick/JaJuan Johnson type of guy with the good rebounding/jump shooting combo. I couldn't go tonight but did he look like this kind of guy at all? I'm intrigued after seeing positive reviews and stats, even if it's just a scrimmage.

Kinda like them except better jumper than any of them and he won't play down low as much as them.

Hardwood had a nice quick video and Wally looked like he has a nice little shot. Buggs is skinny like Rodney was was a frosh.

I didn't notice how his form looked, but if Rodney can hit jumpers like he did at the scrimmage ... Look out. I am surprised this hasn't gotten more comments. This could be the year Rodney fully dominates.

I didn't notice how his form looked, but if Rodney can hit jumpers like he did at the scrimmage ... Look out. I am surprised this hasn't gotten more comments. This could be the year Rodney fully dominates.

I try not to get too excited by such a small sample size, but I was encouraged by the way Rodney (and others) shot too. His shot improved as the last season went on and if he kept that up in the offseason he could have a really good year. Hopefully he and others continue from where they left off last season.

I was at the Midnight madness as well and was equally as impressed as most with our freshman. I know I am echoing prior posts, but Buggs is ultra athletic... Has a somewhat goofy shot, but it drops... Looks somewhat out of control with the ball, but didn't lose the handle. excited to see what he can provide. I am thinking the will use him as a 3 primarily, until he can beef up a bit. But if the event is of any relevance his future looks very bright!

Ellenson has freakish hops as well and was stroking it from deep.. Not ready to deem him our next Blake H. But it was certainly fun to see what he brings to the team! It looks like these boys will be able to provide a spark this year and at minimum will be exciting to watch!

I understand it was a laid back scrimmage and all, but it appears they have the tools to contribute and with some experience who knows what they'll become!

Just watched the vid - I was most struck how hard some guys appear to have been working in the weight room this offseason.

Just watched the vid - I was most struck how hard some guys appear to have been working in the weight room this offseason.

I'm with you on this point. I was at the barn and thought the same thing when I first saw the team introduced. I thought it might have been just the lag in time since I last saw the players in person, but maybe not. Let's hope this translates to better play/conditioning.

I'm with you on this point. I was at the barn and thought the same thing when I first saw the team introduced. I thought it might have been just the lag in time since I last saw the players in person, but maybe not. Let's hope this translates to better play/conditioning.

I remember reading that one of the hypotheses for why the basketball program at Southern Illinois fell apart was that Eric Klein left for Northern Illinois with Jerry Kill.

Is Klein working with our hoops team at all or is he strictly football?

I remember reading that one of the hypotheses for why the basketball program at Southern Illinois fell apart was that Eric Klein left for Northern Illinois with Jerry Kill.

Is Klein working with our hoops team at all or is he strictly football?

In Doogie's "scoops" article recently he's talking with Teague and has this:

Injury prevention is a hot topic with the men's basketball team isn't it? (Editor's note: the team has a new strength and conditioning coach who has brought lots of new methods.)

They are putting a new emphasis on work in the weight room.

I don't know if Klein would happen to be working with them as well, but sounds like they got a new coach. Early returns look solid.

Top Bottom