Bubblicious Thursday: Wisconsin, Colorado secure significant resume enhancers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
21 Bubble Teams For Week Of Feb. 22-28 (RPI at start of week): Florida (32), Saint Bonaventure (33), Oregon State (34), Colorado (35), Tulsa (37), UConn (39), Seton Hall (42), Wisconsin (45), Alabama (48), George Washington (52), Syracuse (56), Michigan (57), Cincinnati (59), Butler (63), Vanderbilt (65), Gonzaga (66), BYU (67), UCLA (68), Washington (70), Florida State (73), Ohio State (75)

Wednesday Bubble Results
#29 Colorado beat Arizona
#31 Oregon State beat #75 Washington
#35 Saint Bonaventure beat Duquesne
#36 Wisconsin won @ Iowa
#48 George Washington won @ Richmond
#52 Michigan beat Northwestern

Thursday Bubble Slate
Providence @ #44 Seton Hall, 6 (FS1) -- If Friars lose, they will move to the bubble next week.
#76 Florida State @ Duke, 6 (ESPN) -- Seminoles on life support.
#40 UConn @ USF, 6:30 (CBSSN) -- Huskies in solid shape if they avoid bad losses (like this one would be).
#74 UCLA @ Cal, 8 (ESPN2) -- Bruins need to sweep the Cal/Stanford road trip.
#66 Gonzaga @ San Diego, 9 -- Strange seeing Zags fighting for their NCAA Tournament lives.
Portland @ #68 BYU, 10 (ESPNU) -- Cougars an extreme longshot.

My "Last 4 In" At Start Of Week: Florida (L), Oregon State (W), Saint Bonaventure (W), Seton Hall
My "First 4 Out" At Start Of Week: George Washington (W), Gonzaga, Michigan (W), Washington (L)

Is Wisconsin a lock now? Winning at Iowa is a big help.

Win their next 2 and they're a lock

Is Wisconsin a lock now? Winning at Iowa is a big help.

Not a lock yet, but darn close.

Remaining schedule is Michigan, @ Gophers, @ Purdue. Simplest way is win their next two. Beat Michigan at home and the Gophers at The Barn and they're a lock no matter what they do @ Purdue and the B1G Tournament. Lose to either Michigan or (especially) the Gophers and then things perhaps get a little dicey.

Oregon State is a curious case. Very similar to Alabama. OrSU RPI is 31, but KenPom is 65 and Sagarin is 62. Should these numbers hold, their placement should tell us a lot about how the Committee is viewing the various ranking systems.

Not a lock yet, but darn close.

Remaining schedule is Michigan, @ Gophers, @ Purdue. Simplest way is win their next two. Beat Michigan at home and the Gophers at The Barn and they're a lock no matter what they do @ Purdue and the B1G Tournament. Lose to either Michigan or (especially) the Gophers and then things perhaps get a little dicey.

GOPHERS CRASH WISCONSIN'S DANCE PARTY!

Headline I'd most like to see from next week.

A Badger loss to the Gophers next week would definitely impact the Badgers tourney chances, and it is certainly possible. Gophs have been playing much better in the last week. Badgers have been on a good run, but anything can happen on the road.

Oregon State is a curious case. Very similar to Alabama. OrSU RPI is 31, but KenPom is 65 and Sagarin is 62. Should these numbers hold, their placement should tell us a lot about how the Committee is viewing the various ranking systems.

Excellent point. If it ends up on the bubble Oregon State with that variance might be the trickiest case for the Committee. Definitely worth watching what they'd do with the Beavers. Don't know what I'll do with OSU if they land squarely on the bubble Selection Sunday.

Geeze, St. Bonaventure. That's a blast from the past. I see they've made 3 appearances since Bob Lanier's time, but must admit, totally forgot about that program altogether. Good luck to the Bonnies.

Curious SS .. your thoughts on Xavier deserving a #1 seed after their win against Villanova last night? Great game, if you didn't see it JP was huge and got a lot of love from Bill Raftery during and after the game.

Curious SS .. your thoughts on Xavier deserving a #1 seed after their win against Villanova last night? Great game, if you didn't see it JP was huge and got a lot of love from Bill Raftery during and after the game.

Xavier or Villanova certainly have a chance to be a #1 seed if one of 'em runs the table. However, more likely both end up as #2 seeds. I think Xavier's resume is more deserving of a #1 seed than Villanova.

If I had to project the four #1 seeds moving forward, I'd go with #1 overall seed Kansas, (Midwest), #2 Oklahoma (West), #3 Virginia (East), and #4 Michigan State (South). Anything short of winning out & then winning the ACC and B1G tournaments and I think Virginia & Sparty drop to #2 or #3 seeds.

Love seeing Macura do well. He's a keeper.

Geeze, St. Bonaventure. That's a blast from the past. I see they've made 3 appearances since Bob Lanier's time, but must admit, totally forgot about that program altogether. Good luck to the Bonnies.

Bonnies have a classic bubble resume. Could be headed to Dayton for First 4.

The Gophers do not even need to win out. Just winning the B1G tournament will secure berth. :)

They are a lock now and have a very realistic shot at winning the conference. Check out the schedules. Gophs can beat them but UW has the kind of team that really takes everything away that you do well.

They are a lock now and have a very realistic shot at winning the conference. Check out the schedules. Gophs can beat them but UW has the kind of team that really takes everything away that you do well.

Wisconsin can't afford to lose out hence not a lock

There is no substitute for experimentation.
The games will be played and the committee will meet and that is all that is certain right now excepting MN will not be in the NCAA.

Top Bottom