3. Mizzou over Kansas State
4. South Carolina over Kentucky
5. Southeastern Louisiana over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
6. Utah over UNLV

Wednesday's Bad
1. Notre Dame over Rutgers
2. Oklahoma State over Colorado
3. Radford over High Point
4. Rhode Island over Dayton (Rams inch closer to the bubble, UD's "lock" status now tenuous)
5. Tennessee over Mississippi State
6. Virginia Tech over Clemson
7. Wyoming over Colorado State

Wednesday's Most Significant Bubble Win
Virginia Tech wins at Clemson (ACC has a real shot at 8 bids)

Wednesday's Most Significant Bubble Loss
Kentucky gets routed by South Carolina (UK in must-win mode Saturday at home vs. LSU)

Thursday's Wish List
Bowling Green over Kent State, 5:30 p.m.
GOPHERS over Illinois, 6 p.m. (BTN)
LaSalle over Temple, 6 p.m.
West Virginia over Cincinnati, 6 p.m. (ESPN)
North Dakota State over Centenary, 7 p.m.
Virginia over Miami-Florida, 7 p.m. (ESPN Full Court)
South Dakota State over Oral Roberts, 7:05 p.m. (ESPN Full Court)
Memphis over UAB, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)
Purdue over Michigan, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Wazzu over Arizona, 8 p.m. (FCS)
Hawaii over Utah State, 8:05 p.m.
Cal over USC, 9:30 (FCS?)
Pepperdine over St. Mary's, 9:30 p.m.

Gophers' Thursday RPI = 36 (same as Wednesday)

Thanks for these updates SS These are fantastic. Gophers over Illinois makes all other games moot. My hope is the Gophers start saving you some work on these bubble lists.

That is my hope as well BGA. Win 2 of these last 3 and I won't have to do this anymore, can just relax in Indy knowing the Gophers are in.

Hey SS, quick question. I consider myself to be a bracketologist as well, and I can't figure out why you have the NDSU game, the Oral Roberts game, the Bowling Green game, and the Hofstra game on the list??

Hey SS, quick question. I consider myself to be a bracketologist as well, and I can't figure out why you have the NDSU game, the Oral Roberts game, the Bowling Green game, and the Hofstra game on the list??

Not SS, but I am assuming those teams winning would strengthen the Gophers strength of schedule since NDSU, SDSU, Bowling Green, and Georgia State are all non-conference foes for Minnesota. Probably falls into the category of "every little bit helps."

Am I close SS?

ok got where you're coming from. dunno if those wins will actually help at all, but i guess it could help the SOS. i'm pretty sure they committee focuses more on quality wins though, and how you got that SOS. that is really the only thing i'm worrying about when it comes to our non-conference schedule versus someone like Wisconsin. We have arguably the best non conference win vs. Louisville on a neutral court, but other than that we have one of the easiest non-conference schedules on the country, where Wisconsin has played the likes of Marquette, Va Tech, Texas, and Uconn.

I look at it this way

If teams like Cornell, NDSU, Bowling Green and/or Georgia State end up winning their conference tournament and earn an automatic bid, would it help the Gophers (if on the bubble) in any way?

The answer is yes, though certainly marginally so in the cases of BGSU and Georgia State, whose RPIs aren't hovering around #100 like Cornell & NDSU. Not to mention, I've read that one of the secondary factors the committee looks at is "record vs. teams in the field/or being considered for the field." So any wins a team can get over automatic qualifiers can't be a bad thing.

That's why I'm really hoping Cornell wins the Ivy regular season and NDSU wins the Summit tourney. Though both were played at Williams Arena, they'd be decent wins (either in the top 100 or just outside of the top 100) we could add to Louisville and Virginia (#99 as of today) on our resume.

ok got where you're coming from. dunno if those wins will actually help at all, but i guess it could help the SOS. i'm pretty sure they committee focuses more on quality wins though, and how you got that SOS. that is really the only thing i'm worrying about when it comes to our non-conference schedule versus someone like Wisconsin. We have arguably the best non conference win vs. Louisville on a neutral court, but other than that we have one of the easiest non-conference schedules on the country, where Wisconsin has played the likes of Marquette, Va Tech, Texas, and Uconn.

You still have to win your games. The problem for Wisky is that they lost 3 of the 4 games you mention. If we beat Wisky a second time and add that to our Louisville win, I don't see how Wisky could get in and us not- even if they are 10-8 and we are 9-9.

if you look at the rest of the big 10 schedule, there is a good possibility that Minny, Wisky, Penn State, and Ohio State could all finish 10-8. take in effect all the tie-breakers, we would be the #4 seed playing #5 seed Wisconsin in the first round. there is still lots of bball left to be played, but wouldnt that be an interesting first game in the BTT

Will take any scenario, any opponent that excludes the Gophers from having to play on Thursday.

Top Bottom