BTN's "Breakdown" show featured Purdue/tOSU last night...

Reaction score
and will be re-running throughout the day today...focusing in considerable detail in how Purdue defeated the Bucks last weekend. Seems to me Chris & Howard did a nice job...Brew & Co might pick up some useful insight from the analysis.

Some short takes:

> the Purdue D mostly manhandled tOSU O;

> Boiler DEs dominated tOSU OL (a highly recruited young line);

> qb Pryor harrassed all day, never got set in passing game, P D refused to let him get outside where he does most of his damage on the pass/run option...looks like he's regressing somewhat with his quick passing game, reads and accuracy all exposed and nullified by a big pass rush collapsing the pocket...similar to the situation confronting Weber as discussed on this board;

> Boiler DBs made several key interceptions by aggressive, talented coverage;

> P qb Elliot looked very composed re his reads and accuracy;

> play calling very imaginative...lots of screens and short slants...to keep an aggressive Bucks DL off balance and back on their heels.

All in all, a great game by the Boilers as they avoided costly turnovers and played up to and beyond their talent level. The Bucks can be beaten this year...not just by USC...and P showed the rest of the BT how it's done.

Remarkably, the GGs beat the Boilers...but the P D looked outstanding against tOSU and I wonder if the Gs can duplicate that type of D effort on the road. Also, the P O looked like a much better team than that at the Bank...the G O will have to undergo a Lazarus-like revival to stay close to the Bucks IMHO.

If we rush Pryor like we did the Penn St. QB, we are in for a very long day. Our DT/DE play was horrible against Penn St. and needs to really step it up... or game over.

From what I've saw from the Purdue-OSU here is the key's to beating OSU

1. Make Pryor beat you with his arm, otherwise he will kill you all day. Thats means shutting down the option early and often.
2. When Pryor does pass make sure he is under pressure. If you can't get pressure with the front 4 then bring blitzs from everywhere. Try to confuse him with who's coming who's dropping back into coverage.
3. Get out early. Purdue didn't do this but still some how won, I still don't know how. Getting out 10-14 is going to be huge in the game for the Gopher's.
4. Don't get focused on getting the running game going. Take what the Buckeye's give you. Don't be overly committed to a game plan if it isn't working.
4. Keep mistakes to a minimum. Meaning don't turn the ball over, no stupid killer plenaties, etc.

To cite the Daily Gopher, in beating OSU we would be doubling the number of multi-game losing streaks seen in the Tressel era. Yes Virginia, Mr Evil Sweater Vest doesn't make a habit of losing very much even if the big non-conference foes have his number and has only one losing streak during his tenure.

That being said, this is the time of the week that I am usually drinking the weekly dose of koolaid, and very much agree that getting some defensive line spark, and getting out to a little lead could indeed double Tressel's number of losing streaks!

Top Bottom