BTN: Week 1 Grades (Minnesota: C+)

Not sure how the Gophers get a lower mark than Michigan and Nebraska.

I think Week 1 showed us what we already knew:

The West still is a total crapshoot (the only team I'd completely rule out is Purdue), and the East remains a 2-horse race.

I know Illinois played a crappy opponent, but the Illini could be interesting with their favorable schedule. Firing Beckman actually may boost some life into that program.

Dienhart has the B1G's record wrong vs. the Power 5. He says 2-4, but actually it was 2-3. ... unless he's making up his own rules and considering BYU (Independent) or Temple (AAC) part of the Power 5.

I have no problem with our grade. But that fact that Nebraska is somehow rated higher is ridiculous.

I have no problem with our grade. But that fact that Nebraska is somehow rated higher is ridiculous.

And Purdue is graded the same as us? Did they even watch the games?

Marshall is hardly a TCU.

Obviously he doesn't think Rutgers and Iowa are better than Michigan State, so this seems like more of a "played to potential" scale rather than straight up, so I don't have any problems with it, and actually see it as a sign of respect he graded us so low.

Not sure how the Gophers get a lower mark than Michigan and Nebraska...

I know Illinois played a crappy opponent, but the Illini could be interesting with their favorable schedule. Firing Beckman actually may boost some life into that program.

Dienhart has the B1G's record wrong vs. the Power 5. He says 2-4, but actually it was 2-3. ... unless he's making up his own rules and considering BYU (Independent) or Temple (AAC) part of the Power 5.

Your first point is the most significant to me. Really? We're still getting that much disrespect? Or is he saying Utah and BYU are better than TCU? Amazing. Since Utah drubbed CSU in the bowl last year, I think it would help for us to have a good showing Saturday.

When it comes to media making significant mistakes like simple math with hours to do it and easy access to calculators, then being critical of things happening in a fast-paced blur on the field, I think those bozos need to be called out.

As for Illinois (and I think Rutgers, too), time will tell if turmoil and controversy will take it's toll. Sometimes rising to the occasion is an aberration. They are still who we thought they were...

Why is Tom Dienhart still employed?

He still has the Gophers ranked 3rd in the conference in his Power Rankings, so it's not like Dienhart hates the Gophers or anything.

The ratings are probably based upon expectations.

Top Bottom