BTN Rankings - Week 3

Reaction score
7. Minnesota. The Golden Gophers are 3-0, equaling their win total of last season after a 28-23 triumph over Western Michigan. The only bummer: QB MarQueis Gray got hurt. But Max Shortell looked good in relief. And the defense continues to impress. Yes, I really did type that. Is it time to start dreaming big, Goldy?
Last week: 7
Up next: Syracuse

Here is the link: http://btn.com/2012/09/16/dienhart-new-team-atop-my-week-4-power-rankings/

BTW we are ahead of Becky and that team from the cornfields in the middle of no where!!

Finally the D is getting some love Boys!!! It's been a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG Time!

Ski-U-Mah -- Gophers well deserved

Pretty fair assessment of the conference through 3 weeks. 7th for us seems about right at this point. I wouldn't rank us ahead of any of the 6 teams in front of us. OSU, MSU, MICH, NW, NEB, PUR and I think we have been better than the remaining 5, Wis, ILL, IA, PSU, IND.

I will say this though the conference looks really bad from a national perspective right now. Our supposed top team MSU got beaten down at home by Notre Dame and everyone else has just looked Ok or down right bad (looking at you Wisconsin, Iowa). The one lone exception might be Ohio State but of course they don't count this year in the conference title or bowl hunt.

MNVCGUY:

Michigan got beat soundly by an Alabama team that might be head and shoulders above everyone else in the country. I think they may still be a top 15 team this season when it's all over.

Northwestern's win yesterday did a lot in my mind for conference respectability. I wouldn't have thought Northwestern would be 3-0 at this point.

I know it's still early guys and conference play hasn't started yet BUT this could be THE turnaround year for the GOPHERS (knock on wood). If we can find a way to bring the AXE/JUG or both back to where they belong and keep Floyd we have a program changing year my friends. Again, it's early but it looks like the B1G is down this year and if we can take advantage of this we have flipped the recruiting scene!!

I know it's still early guys and conference play hasn't started yet BUT this could be THE turnaround year for the GOPHERS (knock on wood). If we can find a way to bring the AXE/JUG or both back to where they belong and keep Floyd we have a program changing year my friends. Again, it's early but it looks like the B1G is down this year and if we can take advantage of this we have flipped the recruiting scene!!

It's clear the Gophers still have a long ways to go and this building project will take a few years. I'm comfortable with that.

But winning even TWO games this year that they aren't expected to or weren't expected to at the beginning of the year would likely have a HUGE impact on recruiting. Perception is everything and if it seems they are a year or two ahead in the rebuilding process than they were expected, that could swing the needle with a couple of top target recruits.

The difference between 5-7 this year and 7-5 (or beyond) could mean sealing the deal with just a few guys that may otherwise land elsewhere. 2-4 recruits this year and 2-4 next year could literally speed up the building process a year or two. It's a BIG deal. A 7 or 8-win season could mean landing SEVERAL recruits that would head elsewhere upon seeing a losing record.

I still think this team is built for NEXT year (SOOOOO many people returning) but his year and next year's success will go a long ways in determining the upward mobility of the program. These next two classes are critical classes.

It's clear the Gophers still have a long ways to go and this building project will take a few years. I'm comfortable with that.

But winning even TWO games this year that they aren't expected to or weren't expected to at the beginning of the year would likely have a HUGE impact on recruiting. Perception is everything and if it seems they are a year or two ahead in the rebuilding process than they were expected, that could swing the needle with a couple of top target recruits.

The difference between 5-7 this year and 7-5 (or beyond) could mean sealing the deal with just a few guys that may otherwise land elsewhere. 2-4 recruits this year and 2-4 next year could literally speed up the building process a year or two. It's a BIG deal. A 7 or 8-win season could mean landing SEVERAL recruits that would head elsewhere upon seeing a losing record.

I still think this team is built for NEXT year (SOOOOO many people returning) but his year and next year's success will go a long ways in determining the upward mobility of the program. These next two classes are critical classes.

Couldn't agree more. These next 5 games are huge for the program (Syracuse, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue). ALL winnable games. If we can fair well. Who knows what kind of upsets we might be able to pull in the home stretch of the season.

Gophers should be 21 to 28 point favorites in Madison. No excuse for the Gophers to lose that one this year.

Gophers should be 21 to 28 point favorites in Madison. No excuse for the Gophers to lose that one this year.

So we're 4 point favorites against Western Michigan, but 21-28 point favorites in Madison? If that's the case, Kill did a damn good job of progressing the players, and Klein gave everyone steroids.

Until I read Dienhart's article I had completely lost sight of the fact that the Gophers have equalled last year's win total.

Depends on how many coaches BB fires between now and then.

Four of the five teams below the Gophers are in the Leaders division. :rolleyes:

Haha. Took long enough for you to lick your wounds. No. Really. You have a great looking squad this year. Start casting the monument to Blart Bulimia.

Haha. Took long enough for you to lick your wounds. No. Really. You have a great looking squad this year. Start casting the monument to Blart Bulimia.

You must have not seen the Badgers play yet this year. They don't look good at all. Should be an easy win for the Gophers this year.

You must have not seen the Badgers play yet this year. They don't look good at all. Should be an easy win for the Gophers this year.

A sarcastic and minority opinion. Took a look at a couple of Badger fan boards. The Gopher game is apparently the only game this year that Badger fans think they can win.

You don't think they look good at all?

I think they're right about where a reasonable person would expect them to be considering all the brains of the operation left in the offseason (Chryst, Bostad, Rudolph) and that it's been several years since they had any REAL succession plan for the quarterback position.

They're in great shape to win 7 or 8 games this year, which is nothing to be ashamed about. There certainly couldn't have been any HONEST expectations to sustain anywhere near the success they've enjoyed the last couple years, right?

Agree (cause Bucky sux) - Go back to your own board Troll!

I saw them play Utah State. I saw Wisconsin bench their QB. I saw that kid who never attempted a field goal in a game push it to the right. Then I saw the sidelines and stands erupt like they'd just won the Rose Bowl.

Top Bottom