BTN Plus is horrible

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Can I ask for my money back?

Showing random "Minnesota defense" graphics for 30 seconds at a time during game play was my favorite.

What was yours?

I've watched them all this season, tonight was by far the worst. showing long replays while live action was happening? Wow.

Can I ask for my money back?

Showing random "Minnesota defense" graphics for 30 seconds at a time during game play was my favorite.

What was yours?

I really couldn't believe my eyes while that was happening. Thankfully I didn't have to listen to the call as I was at the VFW at the time.

As somebody mentioned in the game thread.....this was a direct stream of the video scoreboard. Students are not on campus due to the holiday....so there is no "student U" feed. On the bright side....we got to listen to 1500 commentary.

Personally.....the worst thing to me.....was the score bar that was covering the top of the screen. Was right in front of the baskets for the majority of the game.

Otherwise.....no complaints. $10 for a month isn't terrible. I'm just happy that I can see the games. And the stream quality has been very good thus far.

As somebody mentioned in the game thread.....this was a direct stream of the video scoreboard. Students are not on campus due to the holiday....so there is no "student U" feed. On the bright side....we got to listen to 1500 commentary.

Personally.....the worst thing to me.....was the score bar that was covering the top of the screen. Was right in front of the baskets for the majority of the game.

Otherwise.....no complaints. $10 for a month isn't terrible. I'm just happy that I can see the games. And the stream quality has been very good thus far.

$10 is terrible. You already pay for a cable/satellite package to get BTN. Why do we have to pay a second time to get our favorite team's games? And the product is worse than their normal broadcasts. This **** should be free on their website if anything. It's such a scam. I wish the universities would put up more of a fight against it, especially a school like Minnesota that is getting screwed with more of these crap broadcasts than every other school.

It's terrible. It's $10 on top of whatever you're paying for cable that should already cover it. **** like this is exactly why students should get paid. The money isn't going to you or me, nor the kids. How costly would it be to send two dopes to the game to broadcast it?

Mine was watching it for free while people complain about having to pay for it. :D

Watching replays while play goes on is very frustrating, but a 30 second display of "Defense" is infuriating. The camera work leaves a lot to be desired as well. There were under the basket angles that made it impossible to see what was going on.

$10 is terrible. You already pay for a cable/satellite package to get BTN. Why do we have to pay a second time to get our favorite team's games? And the product is worse than their normal broadcasts. This **** should be free on their website if anything. It's such a scam. I wish the universities would put up more of a fight against it, especially a school like Minnesota that is getting screwed with more of these crap broadcasts than every other school.

It's terrible. It's $10 on top of whatever you're paying for cable that should already cover it. **** like this is exactly why students should get paid. The money isn't going to you or me, nor the kids. How costly would it be to send two dopes to the game to broadcast it?

It's terrible based upon principle. We should ALREADY have access to every game. But for $10....I'm not going to complain.

It's terrible based upon principle. We should ALREADY have access to every game. But for $10....I'm not going to complain.

From your cable package each week how much do you think goes to BTN? I can tell you it's less than $10/month. I think the only channel approaching that amount from the cable companies is the ESPN channels combined. Essentially for less than a handful of bad broadcast games per month you are paying as much as a netflix subscription.

Seeing the scoreboard 'bar' across the top of the screen which blocked both baskets - did it for me. Also both audio and video were constantly freezing.. So I just tried to listen to Mike Grimm do the game. Over the past few years I've emailed Jim Delany and the BTN. Never heard a word from Mr Delany - but always gets a 'corporate speak' letter from the BTN promoting themselves. Frustrating.

From your cable package each week how much do you think goes to BTN? I can tell you it's less than $10/month. I think the only channel approaching that amount from the cable companies is the ESPN channels combined. Essentially for less than a handful of bad broadcast games per month you are paying as much as a netflix subscription.

I was referring to BTN Plus.

The $10 sucks but it is better than not being able to see it all which is what it used to be.

When I first moved away from Minnesota some 35 years ago, we moved to Chicago. I remember driving my car to the top of a hill with a pretty good portable radio so I could listen to an in and out signal from WCCO Radio and their 50,000 watt signal.

I could tell that they were just using the scoreboard broadcast, and it was very frustrating. Then I thought back to what it used to be like. Guess what, it was still frustrating.

There are only a handful of us complaining about it. That tells me that there are probably not a lot of Minnesota fans subscribing to BTN Plus. To have a professional camera crew and broadcasting team most likely is not economically beneficial for BTN. I guess it being Thanksgiving weekend and all, we could be thankful for what we are getting. Like you wrote GopherInIowa, it is better than it used to be..

When I first moved away from Minnesota some 35 years ago, we moved to Chicago. I remember driving my car to the top of a hill with a pretty good portable radio so I could listen to an in and out signal from WCCO Radio and their 50,000 watt signal.

As a Chicagoan I am interested in hearing more about this "hill" you found in the area. I have been searching for one, but haven't come across any in the entire state of Illinois.

^ This. How can that happen...is literally no one with control watching the feed?

I did enjoy having Grimm on the audio instead of the usual student announcer clown show.

I guess it being Thanksgiving weekend and all, we could be thankful for what we are getting. Like you wrote GopherInIowa, it is better than it used to be..

Maybe better than before there was cable. But not better than the 1990s when every game was on Midwest Sports Channel, with quality announcers like Bremer and Dutcher.

Maybe better than before there was cable. But not better than the 1990s when every game was on Midwest Sports Channel, with quality announcers like Bremer and Dutcher.

I believe one year we had Dutch and Ted Robinson....great tandem.

Dutch was the best...knew the team obviously, but gave insightful info without trying to be the show himself, like so many now.

Fans are paying way more for cable or satellite packages, technology has improved immensely, The Big Ten and it's schools are bringing in gobs of money....and yet we get less games.

I can't understand why some folks here on GH want to put down those of us that would like to have quality TV access to all games.....Please spare us by not coming back with how tech savy you are.

Here's the simple solution: All BB games that are not carried live on BTN, espn, espn2 or network/CBS will be the sole property of the school playing in the game. They would have the right to sell or give away the rights to an affiliat.

As a Chicagoan I am interested in hearing more about this "hill" you found in the area. I have been searching for one, but haven't come across any in the entire state of Illinois.

We lived in Bartlett. Not too many hills as I remember but I must have found one somewhere. I am told that Bartlett has changed a lot since we left. They may have leveled the hill. Plus it was WCCO and not KFAN. Just remember that there is always a hill somewhere.

Top Bottom