BTN Coverage

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of BTN since it began. I am sharing my perception of it. This is not backed up by any statistics so I could certainly be wrong. With that being said, from my perspective it seems as though it slowly but surely has evolved into the "Ohio State and Michigan Network." I really started noticing this over the summer. I'd be flipping channels with no particular plan of what to watch and before I went to BTN I'd say to whoever was in ear-shot, "Well, should we see which Ohio State content BTN is showing tonight?" and nearly every time there would be an Ohio State or Michigan game replay, or something else related to those two schools.

I felt things were pretty even in the early days, but now days it seems the content is really skewed.

Anyone else get this perception? Perhaps my homerism is getting in the way. You know, like "the refs are always against us" type thoughts.

they don't play those schools more often, it's just that if you want to see other schools you need to tune in between 11 PM and 9 AM.

I saw an MN graphic flash across the screen during a commercial break.

It's pretty consistently Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. They're probably just gravitating toward what gets the most eyeballs on the screen.

The amount of replays they showed and continue to show for Michigans crap win vs Akron is pathetic.

I also hate how they almost never show replays of games where the Big Ten team lost. I don't think they ever once replayed the Nebraska vs UCLA game yet they have shown Michigan vs Akron over 12 times already.

I love the BTN's daily football shows (BTN Live, The Pulse, Big Ten and Beyond), but I get the same vibe. I see a slant toward Michigan and Ohio State. It's almost like the BTN is trying to will Michigan and Ohio State back to the top of the league. It seems pretty apparent that Wisconson and MSU being the bell-cows of the conference (as it's been for most of the last 5 years) isn't sexy enough for them.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard Howard Griffith and (especially) Gerry DiNardo say "Michigan is back," (even though they're not), I'd be a rich man. ... and that goes back to the dreadful Rich Rod years at Michigan. That said, I think both guys as well as Mason and the others do a thorough job covering the Big Ten.

Same thing in basketball, except my impression is Indiana, Michigan State, and Ohio State get most of the love there.

Everything you wrote

Agree 100%. Last night I was hanging out and the BTN schedule said "2009 teams TBD", so I clicked on it to see what game was on - Michigan-Akron this year. Check another channel, Michigan-Connecticut.

My wife deleted the Gopher-SJSU game, and I have been trying to find a replay so I can have it. No effing chance. But if I want to see Akron --- All Day.

Looked at the BTN through Saturday. Noon tomorrow they're replaying the Gopher/Iowa game from 2010. Otherwise saw a LOT of Ohio State and wisconsin replays. Though that is the feature game this weekend.

I love the BTN's daily football shows (BTN Live, The Pulse, Big Ten and Beyond), but I get the same vibe. I see a slant toward Michigan and Ohio State. It's almost like the BTN is trying to will Michigan and Ohio State back to the top of the league. It seems pretty apparent that Wisconson and MSU being the bell-cows of the conference (as it's been for most of the last 5 years) isn't sexy enough for them.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard Howard Griffith and (especially) Gerry DiNardo say "Michigan is back," (even though they're not), I'd be a rich man. ... and that goes back to the dreadful Rich Rod years at Michigan. That said, I think both guys as well as Mason and the others do a thorough job covering the Big Ten.

Same thing in basketball, except my impression is Indiana, Michigan State, and Ohio State get most of the love there.

Those shows you outlined are my favorite as well. But, what do you expect for coverage? I know I would love more Gophers coverage and game replays, but the network is going to cater to the larger fan base, sadly. So, the OSU's, Mich's and MSU etc. replays are more likely going to be played during those 'prime' times (using that term loosely) when they will get the most 'cheeks in the seats', so to speak.

Looked at the BTN through Saturday. Noon tomorrow they're replaying the Gopher/Iowa game from 2010. Otherwise saw a LOT of Ohio State and wisconsin replays. Though that is the feature game this weekend.

For rivalries as big as ours v. Iowa (at least to our respective fan bases anyway), I would think they would play some more of those games during those rivalry weeks. I know I would certainly enjoy that!

Those shows you outlined are my favorite as well. But, what do you expect for coverage? I know I would love more Gophers coverage and game replays, but the network is going to cater to the larger fan base, sadly. So, the OSU's, Mich's and MSU etc. replays are more likely going to be played during those 'prime' times (using that term loosely) when they will get the most 'cheeks in the seats', so to speak.

That's a good point. I'm talking more in terms of the amount of time they spend talking about each team. I think they could work a little harder to provide more equal coverage (read: discuss) for the other 10 schools (those not named Michigan or OSU). Replays don't interest me much, so I don't really care what they do in that regard.

Agree 100%. Last night I was hanging out and the BTN schedule said "2009 teams TBD", so I clicked on it to see what game was on - Michigan-Akron this year. Check another channel, Michigan-Connecticut.

My wife deleted the Gopher-SJSU game, and I have been trying to find a replay so I can have it. No effing chance. But if I want to see Akron --- All Day.

You may have just meant you want a replay on your DVR, but ESPN.com has a replay of the SJSU game. Or at least they used to, I watched it on Sunday but can't find the link right now.

Florida A&M vs Ohio State replay comes on at 4! Im sure everybody wants to watch the 76-0 again!

When you think about it boys they've played our signature wins ( Penn State on Nystoms FG,The win at Michigan after the Russall run, Salem's win over tOSU, Lloyd's FG to beat Wisconsin, Cupito OT win over Purdue, Wacker win over Ill, Wacker win over Syracuse, Horton's Iowa win) That's about all I remember seeing. I'd like to see the Foggie/Lohmiller over Michigan in 83 ( I do have it on tape) Also
Some of the bowl games. Gophers and Ducks in the Sun Bowl ( Lloyd's winner ) and the Gophers vs Bama in the Music City Bowl. I don't think they've access to the games in the 60's. I game I would really like to see is the 1967 game against Indiana at Memorial Statdium. QB Curtis Wilson from Lawton, Oklahoma had a banner day in the win. We tied Indiana for the BTT, but Indiana went because they hadn't been to the Rose Bowl as recent as the Gophers. Guys, we really haven't had that many games to hang your hat on. You really can't fault the BTN, our cupboard is pretty bare.

When you think about it boys they've played our signature wins ( Penn State on Nystoms FG,The win at Michigan after the Russall run, Salem's win over tOSU, Lloyd's FG to beat Wisconsin, Cupito OT win over Purdue, Wacker win over Ill, Wacker win over Syracuse, Horton's Iowa win) That's about all I remember seeing. I'd like to see the Foggie/Lohmiller over Michigan in 83 ( I do have it on tape) Also
Some of the bowl games. Gophers and Ducks in the Sun Bowl ( Lloyd's winner ) and the Gophers vs Bama in the Music City Bowl. I don't think they've access to the games in the 60's. I game I would really like to see is the 1967 game against Indiana at Memorial Statdium. QB Curtis Wilson from Lawton, Oklahoma had a banner day in the win. We tied Indiana for the BTT, but Indiana went because they hadn't been to the Rose Bowl as recent as the Gophers. Guys, we really haven't had that many games to hang your hat on. You really can't fault the BTN, our cupboard is pretty bare.

I was referring more to the day-to-day programming and the overall overkill of two of the network's 12 supposed content sources dominating the coverage. Point taken however that it would be nice to see the games you mentioned in addition to the 3 or 4 they tend to show over and over again when they do show MN "classic" games. To be clear, I am not even necessarily focusing just on the Gophers. I feel like Mich and OSU tend to dominate programming in general on BTN.

That's a good point. I'm talking more in terms of the amount of time they spend talking about each team. I think they could work a little harder to provide more equal coverage (read: discuss) for the other 10 schools (those not named Michigan or OSU). Replays don't interest me much, so I don't really care what they do in that regard.

You are correct there. (Misunderstood your post earlier) Mich and OSU do definitely dominate the coverage as far as the daily programming goes as well. But, sadly though, I think the same principle applies. Since there fan bases are so large and spread throughout the U.S., not much will change unless our beloved Gophers change it themselves. Hopefully, Coach Kill, I feel, has us going in a good direction to help change that! :)

Agree Schnauzer. I missed the " everyday " point of view. But yes, you're dead nuts on in that aspect
of coverage.

Compare the number of streamed (BTN.com & ESPN 3) games vs regular HD TV games on the BTN. Last year for basketball, the Gophers had like 5 games streamed. Indiana / Ohio St had one each. Can't recall the number of streamed games Mich and Mich St had - but I'm sure it was less then the Gophers. BTN is more than biased when it comes to covering the league.

How can you respect a network that replays Nebraska and Penn State victories from 80s and 90s and deems them Big Ten's Greatest Games?
That would be like FSN showing Laker games from the Magic or Kobe eras and claiming them as Minnesota Sports Classics.

I just settled into my easy chair. Tonight's prime time on BTN? A replay of Ohio State vs Cal.

i actually do think Michigan is back, they may not being showing it on the field right now but have you seen their recruiting classes under hoke? They will be a national title contender, a perennial top 3 team along with OSU and Urban Meyer and his extraordinary recruiting classes so far, in 2 or so years OSU and UM will dominate the conference like never before, i see it becoming the biggest rivalry is sports in a short time, and overall i don't really feel like they have been covering those teams more so then any other team, i feel like BTN's coverage of teams is very balanced, i feel they talk about the Purdue's and Illinois's as much as OSU and Mich. i don't think they hate on us either, i feel that is just gopher fans are always trying to be offended

Some of you people really need to look into BTN2Go. You can watch any game on your computer, whenever you want. No more frustration based on the TV schedule. If you get BTN with your cable/satellite/dish provider, you also have access to a free BTN2GO account. I do not understand why more people don't utilize this service as I routinely see these types of threads on multiple boards.

Does BTN to go have a button that will lessen the OSU/Mich fodder on the Big 10 Pulse and the other regular shows?

The fact there are games on BTN to go has nothing to do with this. I can record games on my DVR and watch them whenever I want too. That also has nothing to do with this.

The big BTN discussion point right now is "what is wrong with Michigan?" These schools will dominate coverage when they win, until they lose. At which point they will dominate coverage. And anyone who thinks this is Gopher sour grapes, please note there are currently 12 schools in the conference. The point is it seems like BTN is turning into a version of the Long Horn Network, at least during prime time.

The panel shows seem obsessed with the top four teams or so, rarely mention Gophers.

Does BTN to go have a button that will lessen the OSU/Mich fodder on the Big 10 Pulse and the other regular shows?

The fact there are games on BTN to go has nothing to do with this. I can record games on my DVR and watch them whenever I want too. That also has nothing to do with this.

Then why do you and others keep crying about how many times they show Michigan against Akron. Who the F cares?

If they change the name from Big 10 Network to Big 2 Network, I'll quit complaining. Fair enough?

Thankfully the $$ is still equal to member schools, even if the programming content is not.

Some people forget that $$ is tied to the number of eyes watching that programming content. A healthy (or equal) diet of Gopher, Hawkeye, Boilermaker content is going to impact the amount of that check the Gophers receive each year.

Top Bottom