BSF

Crosby

Reaction score
This has been covered elsewhere but what is the story with BSF? Many were pretty much calling him a superstar in the preseason. I haven't seen it. Is he hurt? Is AK partially responsible? I mean catching passes right on target is one thing. But to be a superstar, I think you need to come down with some of those less accurate throws too. And I am trying to remember a single time in the last two season where BSF has caught a ball where he was not wide open and/or the ball was not thrown perfectly. Has he made a "wow" catch ever? Maybe I am just not remembering it. Is the game plan partially to blame? Don't get me wrong, I would not bench him or anything as I think he is a good player. I am just not seeing him have an impact on the game the way I expected.

If you watched Georgia TE bowers yesterday, you would realize BSF comes nowhere near that talent.
Was thinking the same thing as I watched Bowers. BSF looks great in a uniform...just great enough to get a coach fired.

I rarely pay close enough attention to all the players lined up on offense (or defense) - but did see in the fourth quarter a play that had BSF lined up wide right. Now maybe this is a common-enough formation that I had just not noticed before - but it appears that the staff could be mixing up things a bit to give BSF some different opportunities.

He is a nice tight end with an elite frame
Was thinking the same thing as I watched Bowers. BSF looks great in a uniform...just great enough to get a coach fired.
yup

BSF is a tight end who will get drafted due to measurables but I think probably has less than a 50% chance of being in the nfl 2 years later

Not good enough at blocking or catching

This has been covered elsewhere but what is the story with BSF? Many were pretty much calling him a superstar in the preseason. I haven't seen it. Is he hurt? Is AK partially responsible? I mean catching passes right on target is one thing. But to be a superstar, I think you need to come down with some of those less accurate throws too. And I am trying to remember a single time in the last two season where BSF has caught a ball where he was not wide open and/or the ball was not thrown perfectly. Has he made a "wow" catch ever? Maybe I am just not remembering it. Is the game plan partially to blame? Don't get me wrong, I would not bench him or anything as I think he is a good player. I am just not seeing him have an impact on the game the way I expected.
He was way overhyped. I never understood it. Just because he is tall. He may have regressed a little this year. However he was never an NFL prospect. He’s way too slow and doesn’t block well either. This year he’s showing he can’t catch well also.

He was way overhyped. I never understood it. Just because he is tall. He may have regressed a little this year. However he was never an NFL prospect. He’s way too slow and doesn’t block well either. This year he’s showing he can’t catch well also.

He was our leading receiver last year. It wasn't 'just because he is tall.'

Last edited:

He was our leading receiver last year. It was't 'just because he is tall.'
Yeah. He is on pace for 10 fewer catches this year.
But it’s a different type of passing game.
AK on the move more. He isn’t running as many vertical routes as last year.

My guess is that since those vertical routes over the middle are harder to read they’re running them less with the young QB. Hopefully as AK gets better BSF will become a vertical threat again

BSM has great measurables, but isn’t great at the playing football part of being a great football player.

Even on his one reception yesterday, it appeared (at least from nearly the last row of upper deck from other end) that there was a bit of green there on the play and he just seemed a bit slow after the catch in moving up field, and the defender just came right up and chopped him down.

He may have the measurables but doesn’t have the intangibles. Looks the part but doesn’t play the part.

They have continued to see him put on weight while he has been here. Feel he would be much better if they had him slim back down into the 250 range to let him be more rangy. He will never be a blocking tight end (his fundamentals are rough) and is better served to be played how he's better. At this weight he's just not fast/quick enough to move around out there and be effective.

If you watched Georgia TE bowers yesterday, you would realize BSF comes nowhere near that talent.
Spann-Ford isn't Bowers, but Bowers really isn't a TE. The more reasonable comp given schemes would have been Washington, the Georgia in-line TE last year who was drafted by the Steelers last April and is playing a little for them thus far.

That said, Spann-Ford looked like a Day 2 pick last year, but he's looking more like a late-round guy now for some reason. Scheme? Different QB?

Spann-Ford is an unfortunate situation. I was hoping he could help open up the passing attack with a reliable weapon but it hasn't really developed. We've seen how much of a game changer it can be to have a great TE from when Maxx Williams played (also that was nearly 10 years ago :oops:)

1 catch for 3 yards yesterday, Kallerup had 1 for 5yd. All the rest of the catches were to wideouts. AK had two additional attempts incomplete, one targeted Jackson and the other was the pick (don't recall who was targeted).

I’ve never seen a player that big get tackled and go down so easily. It’s amazing!

Slow and lumbering. It's really that simple.

Dude is soft, slow, bad hands and not athletic, other than that, he is pretty good. He is not even close to being a top 5 all-time Gopher tight end.

Top Bottom