Bryce Williams' Status?

swelna

Reaction score
In the Gopher Football Weekly PJ mentions "When we get Bryce Williams back". Did I miss something where he got injured or had surgery or could this be another Covid thing?

I don't know either. This season is kind of like a pick-up league: some guys show up and some don't, for all kinds of different reasons (car in the shop, PTA meeting, work, pulled hammy, etc.)...whoever shows up gets to play.

Potts seems like the obvious choice as the backup, so far.

Sorry, hate calling people out by name ... and I'll be very happy if I turn out to be wrong, but ...... Cam Wiley does not look like a RB. He looks like a tall, long WR body that is lining up at RB, for some reason.

Big Ten running backs are short, stout balls of muscle that can run like the wind.

Sorry, hate calling people out by name ... and I'll be very happy if I turn out to be wrong, but ...... Cam Wiley does not look like a RB. He looks like a tall, long WR body that is lining up at RB, for some reason.

Big Ten running backs are short, stout balls of muscle that can run like the wind.
Wiley runs really upright and looks a bit robotic to me. Many stars have had success with that power style -- Derrick Henry and Robert Smith come to mind -- but like Burns said on his podcast this week, I feel the staff is forcing it a little with Wiley right now at both RB and KR. He just doesn't seem ready. Freak athlete it seems, so I understand the push to get him on the field, but Potts seems much smoother back there.

I agree so far.
If he puts on weight it might work, but if he's getting stood up, he's not going to run through people.

Isn't that true freshman Montgomery going to get some action since this is a throw-away year as well?

Even in a non-throw away year, every true freshman can now play in up to four games (including post-season games) and still keep their redshirts.

Wiley runs really upright and looks a bit robotic to me. Many stars have had success with that power style -- Derrick Henry and Robert Smith come to mind -- but like Burns said on his podcast this week, I feel the staff is forcing it a little with Wiley right now at both RB and KR. He just doesn't seem ready. Freak athlete it seems, so I understand the push to get him on the field, but Potts seems much smoother back there.
Yep, DH and RS are/were great. We can hope!

I hope so!

Goes without saying, coaches have to be able to trust you as far as knowing your assignment, especially if that's pass pro. Otherwise, when you go in the game, it's obviously a run to you.

Might've just been way too much to throw at the young man, to be ready for Don Brown's frantic blitzing/stunting D.

Then again, the sack, fumble, pick-six on our second drive was because the RB (believe it was Mo) did not abort his play-action fake to block the blitzing LB ... and somehow Tanner did not see the guy, turned his back to him, and got smashed blind-side. The guy actually started to take the fake too, but lightning quick went back to Tanner.

I think Bryce Williams was on sideline but recovering from virus.

Agreed. Potts need more touches. I really like the way he looked. They talked about getting it to him both handing off and swing passes lining him up all over the formation. I'd like to see that happen.

Also in agreement Wiley not quite ready.

Last edited:

Even in a non-throw away year, every true freshman can now play in up to four games (including post-season games) and still keep their redshirts.
If I’m not mistaken everybody can play in every game and not lose any eligibility

If I’m not mistaken everybody can play in every game and not lose any eligibility

Yes, was just going to reply with that. My understanding is that this year does NOT count for anybody as far as eligibility regardless of the amount of games played. Technically, Mo could play 2 more full seasons if he wanted.

Yes, was just going to reply with that. My understanding is that this year does NOT count for anybody as far as eligibility regardless of the amount of games played. Technically, Mo could play 2 more full seasons if he wanted.
Interesting to think about:
1) in the truest spirit of what the exemption was trying to accomplish .... it really shouldn't apply to true freshmen who were always planning to redshirt. Particularly if they do indeed appear in four or fewer games. The spirit basically was: this season is going to be far enough away from a genuine season, that it would be unfair to count it as one of the four participated seasons. But ... redshirt players don't participate (fully) anyway, so little if any was really being taken away from them.
2) ... if we're being honest, particularly for XII/SEC/ACC players, this season (if it continues on as planned) is actually going to be pretty dang close to a genuine season, in terms of length and experience/quality of play. Sure, limited/no fans degrades the experience. But enough to cause five years of roster headaches?? Obviously a better case in the Big Ten/MAC, and especially the PAC/Mountain West, and the lower divisions that aren't playing until spring.

Of course, no one was going to bother to hash that out and try to parse it like that. Way too hard.

You're basing your Potts comment on five carries in the first game of the season? Wiley ran a 4.4 40. He's plenty fast.

You're basing your Potts comment on five carries in the first game of the season? Wiley ran a 4.4 40. He's plenty fast.

Top speed isn't everything either though. Vision and patience are traits of great rb's. Irbahim has both but doesn't appear incredibly fast on the field. Tough to declare either Potts or Wiley better at this point.

I based my comments (which others agree with) on the limited carries by both Potts and Wiley.

I'm sure he's fast, and you ignored the first part of the comment.

No one (me including) is saying never play him again and don't give him any more chances. Relax

I based my comments (which others agree with) on the limited carries by both Potts and Wiley.

I'm sure he's fast, and you ignored the first part of the comment.

No one (me including) is saying never play him again and don't give him any more chances. Relax
Interesting comment in bold. Didn't ignore the first part, just didn't address it. Relax.

Things can change with Wiley, but I thought there was a noticeable difference between the 2 guys in game 1. Even on kickoffs, I was hoping the ball would go to Potts instead of Wiley. He really looks like he sees the field better and just more of a natural feel at this point.

Perhaps Wiley should be a LB. Could use some speed there judging from the first game.

Top Bottom