Bryant Allen

I never said I wouldn't want him. They certainly could just use another body right now. Tubby very well could be searching campus for former varsity basketball PGs just to get another guard for practice purposes. The gophers are playing with 8 now, 3 are Maverick, Hollins, and Chip. If another starter goes down this team will be in a world of hurt. They need bodies.

That being said, I never said I wouldn't want him or it wouldn't be nice to have him around. I said he is the most overrated player in the history of gopher basketball.....and it ain't close.[/QUOTE]

Don't you think that might be stretching a tad, since Gopher basketball started in 1895?:cool02:

Royce White was far more overrated. Never saw a minute of pt, caused much distress. Took a scholly. Allen saw meaningful minutes, by all accounts was a good team guy, didn't take a bball scholly.

Perhaps Rosemountain didn't mean all the way back to last year when he said 'in the history of gopher basketball?'

Royce White was far more overrated. Never saw a minute of pt, caused much distress. Took a scholly. Allen saw meaningful minutes, by all accounts was a good team guy, didn't take a bball scholly.

Perhaps Rosemountain didn't mean all the way back to last year when he said 'in the history of gopher basketball?'
Royce white is not the more overrated gopher basketball player. Maybe he is the more overrated person, but his basketball skills were not nearly as overrated as allen's. I am not talking about busts here, calling Royce white an overrated basketball player would be like Illinois fans calling jefferey Jordan overrated. Maybe he didn't work out, but he was not overrated.
Royce white was overhyped not overrated.

Royce white is not the more overrated gopher basketball player. Maybe he is the more overrated person, but his basketball skills were not nearly as overrated as allen's.

As a gopher basketball player, White was far more overrated. He took a scholly for 1 year and never saw a minute, Allen did not take a scholly and played.

When the 9th guy plays significant minutes I will edit my post.

You probably won't have to wait long until that happens. All it takes is one of the bigs to get into foul trouble and Dawson probably sees some action.

You probably won't have to wait long until that happens. All it takes is one of the bigs to get into foul trouble and Dawson probably sees some action.

Imo they are more likely to play Williams at the 4 for significant minutes than Dawson.

Royce white is not the more overrated gopher basketball player. Maybe he is the more overrated person, but his basketball skills were not nearly as overrated as allen's. I am not talking about busts here, calling Royce white an overrated basketball player would be like Illinois fans calling jefferey Jordan overrated. Maybe he didn't work out, but he was not overrated.
Royce white was overhyped not overrated.

Here's a link for you as I don't think you understand the meaning of overrated: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overrated

Usually a guy has to be rated high by a lot of people to be overrated.

A guy doesn't have to be rated high to be overrated. If a guy is rated mediocre, he can still be vastly overrated.

But when a guy is rated low, i.e. not on scholarship, and does contribute, it is very hard to make a case that he is overrated.

Respectfully, you are being a d-bag throughout the thread. We have heard your two cents.

I guess you can think that if you want to. You can disagree with me on the quality of Bryant Allen and you can disagree with my perception of how good gopher fans in general think he is. A disagreement with either of these would cause you to disagree with me. I don't see the need to namecall though.

But when a guy is rated low, i.e. not on scholarship, and does contribute, it is very hard to make a case that he is overrated.

I am not saying he was overrated by those giving scholarships at the u of m. I am saying he is overrated by fans in general. It seems like you have him about right.

When have I criticized his skill level? I have said I don't think he is as good as Maverick, but is that an insult?
I simply said he is the most overrated player in gopher basketball history. You are taking this as an insult to him...it isn't. It is an insult to a select group of people who continually act like he would have been a key player on the team this year (he wouldn't have been). It is an insult to people who believe that he was better than Cobbs last year or better than maverick this year (he isn't).

Maybe if he had concentrated on basketball he would have been a lot better player. The issue is, if he was going to concentrate on basketball, he wouldn't have been playing for Minnesota. He was what he was, a guy who played for the gopher basketball for about 2.5 months, a guy who logged 22 garbage time minutes, and a guy who would have never been a gopher basketball player if he was not recruited to be a football player. Me saying he is an overrated player is not an insult to him, it is an insult to some of the people who pretend that he was much more than he was. Maybe that is you, maybe it isn't...I dont know. I haven't read enough about your thoughts on the player. From what I have read in your posts, you seem to think that if he devoted his time to basketball he had the potential to contribute...that could very well be correct so I don't think you should be insulted by me calling Allen an overrated player.

Who are you talking to?:confused:

I am not saying he was overrated by those giving scholarships at the u of m. I am saying he is overrated by fans in general. It seems like you have him about right.

So if someone says he could be a nice player for us and contribute as a backup (this is what most fans ever said about him), he would have to absolutely suck to be considered vastly overrated; and I mean like "trip over the half-court line every time down the floor" suckiness.

Tubby smith just said on Kare 11 that they have 8 players available. I will assume you are right and he is wrong though.

8 scholarship: Hoffarber, Mbakwe, Iverson, Sampson, Williams, Armelin, Hollins, Ahanmisi.

1 walk-on: Dawson.

8 scholarship: Hoffarber, Mbakwe, Iverson, Sampson, Williams, Armelin, Hollins, Ahanmisi.

1 walk-on: Dawson.

"right now we have 8 healthy guys available"
-tubby smith

Perhaps tubby doesn't see Dawson as a guy who will play unless they have 4 guys go down. Even then "my team is on the floor." -Hoosiers

first of all a player needs a chance to play meaningful mins to determine if he is over or under rated. 22 total mins in about 12 games makes you overrated? the sad thing is you really believe that kid was giving a legitimate chance to prove his ability on the court. allen never subbed himself in ,tubby makes that call. last year the gophers were said to have 2 possible one and done players in royce white and rodney williams. rodney saw good mins early but as the season progressed his mins went down. does that mean he isnt a pro? no it means he didnt get the chance to play as much to make the case of being a lottery pick as a freshman. royce is another case in itself however hollins mins are down after a good start! but im sure you know why those things took place. tubby said williams needed to learn how to score college baskets and not just dunk but if thats what gets him to the next level doesnt he deserve the chance. allen was told that he would not be needed this year so the kid went to elsewhere to PLAY so people like you wouldnt be able to say the very things in which you saying now. time will tell all so lets just wait and see

Everything you have said fits into 1 of 2 categories.

1) doesn't refute or disagree with anything I have said

Or

2) doesn't have anything to do with the conversation you are entering

Top Bottom