Bryan Kelly to LSU?

bud

Reaction score
Who takes over for him at Norte Dame?

I think the only other job he wants is up the road on I-71.
I thought I read that he said ND and OSU were the only 2 jobs he would have a hard time turning down. You could be right if OSU ever opens up but ND might be tempting now.

Brian Kelly supposedly getting 15 million a year from LSU

This seems like a more turbulent year for coaching changes than in the past, but maybe it’s just me. Guys leaving of free will rather than getting canned.

I feel like this is gonna backfire. He was set at Notre Dame. Now if he doesn’t win a natty every other year he is on the hot seat.

I also think Oklahoma is the next Nebraska trying to move to the SEC. I think the only winner so far in the shake ups is Lincoln Riley.

One of the Notre Dame assistant coaches sent out a message that he was in a recruits home, walked out of the home, and then got the news. He said it made him look like a dumbass or something along those lines.

Nice going Kelly!

I feel like this is gonna backfire. He was set at Notre Dame. Now if he doesn’t win a natty every other year he is on the hot seat.

I also think Oklahoma is the next Nebraska trying to move to the SEC. I think the only winner so far in the shake ups is Lincoln Riley.
I think you're absolutely right with Brian Kelly. The expectations are threw the roof. My guess is that at this point in his career, he wanted to make a boatload of money and try to coach at a place with a legitimate shot at winning a national championship.

As far as Oklahoma, they could be the next Nebraska. But keep in mind, Nebraska was a very average Big XII team before making the move to B1G 10. It sounds funny to even say now, but the idea was that B1G X11 was so much more talented than the B1G 10 that Nebraska would dominate. Oklahoma has been dominating the B1G XII and it is in a recruiting hot bed.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at Oklahoma - - will they be Texas A&M + or will they be Nebraska. A lot could depend upon this hire.

$15 million for a head football coach is ridiculous. I have always supported investing in athletics and realize it is funded outside of any impact on the academic side of the world. Yet, students are still asked to foot the bill in various ways. The arms race is crazy, and is largely tone deaf to the financial challenges many of the students face.

Now that coaching salaries have increased so dramatically in the past 5+ years, and that student-athletes have the benefits they do even beyond NIL within athletes village, etc., I think students should at least get into games for free and get rid of their fees. I know students who would love to go to the football, basketball, and hockey games, but are working 20+ hours per week and have to make decisions to cut costs somewhere in their life.

If schools are going to throw this kind of money at coaches, and not just head coaches but position coaches making hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's kind of ridiculous that students are still paying fees for stadiums, for tickets, etc.

$15 million for a head football coach is ridiculous. I have always supported investing in athletics and realize it is funded outside of any impact on the academic side of the world. Yet, students are still asked to foot the bill in various ways. The arms race is crazy, and is largely tone deaf to the financial challenges many of the students face.

Now that coaching salaries have increased so dramatically in the past 5+ years, and that student-athletes have the benefits they do even beyond NIL within athletes village, etc., I think students should at least get into games for free and get rid of their fees. I know students who would love to go to the football, basketball, and hockey games, but are working 20+ hours per week and have to make decisions to cut costs somewhere in their life.

If schools are going to throw this kind of money at coaches, and not just head coaches but position coaches making hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's kind of ridiculous that students are still paying fees for stadiums, for tickets, etc.
The thing that always blows me away is you hear about some of the crazy CEO pay, but I think there are many college coaches or professional athletes making a lot more than some CEOs of big companies. It's all out of control.

10 year $95M plus incentives.

As far as Oklahoma, they could be the next Nebraska. But keep in mind, Nebraska was a very average Big XII team before making the move to B1G 10. It sounds funny to even say now, but the idea was that B1G X11 was so much more talented than the B1G 10 that Nebraska would dominate. Oklahoma has been dominating the B1G XII and it is in a recruiting hot bed.
I don't know how accurate that is. Nebraska finished in first (or tied for first) in their division the last 3 years and 4 of the last 5. They went to the Big 12 championship game their last 2 years and 3 of the last 5. They were definitely towards the top of the Big 12. Maybe not OU or UT level by that point but definitely not average.

This is where the NCAA could have made an argument that they matter.

I don't know how accurate that is. Nebraska finished in first (or tied for first) in their division the last 3 years and 4 of the last 5. They went to the Big 12 championship game their last 2 years and 3 of the last 5. They were definitely towards the top of the Big 12. Maybe not OU or UT level by that point but definitely not average.
So they were Wisconsin?

Paraphrasing Kevin Blackistone on "Around the Horn":

Hope he said "Notre Dame paid me $7m per year. LSU is giving me $15. Good bye and Good luck".
Reports are it lasted 11 minutes.

Let’s remember who was in their division of the Big XII: Kansas, K state, Iowa State, & Missouri. Not exactly a gauntlet of programs. Occasionally one of them would pop up and have a good year, but it was basically the weaklings of the Big 8 that they were beating.

Let’s remember who was in their division of the Big XII: Kansas, K state, Iowa State, & Missouri. Not exactly a gauntlet of programs. Occasionally one of them would pop up and have a good year, but it was basically the weaklings of the Big 8 that they were beating.

Fair point but the assertion that Nebraska was an "average Big XII team" is just false. If they finish first in their division, by definition they are better than half the conference and not average.

10 year $95M plus incentives.
Yep, I have seen that now as well. Dennis Dodd had been reporting that it was $15M per year. Either way, the money is over the top, and my point still stands.

• Dodd: "Six days before his team could get into the CFP for the third time in four years, Kelly not only accepted the LSU job, he left right away. That is unprecedented. In the history of the sport, few if any coaches have ever left with a championship on the line.
    Among the messages Kelly sent: I don't think the Fighting Irish are going to get to the playoff, but even if they do, I don't care because they aren't going to win anyway."
I 100 percent agree here. Notre Dame isn't in prime position for a playoff bid, but it is really not far-fetched to imagine the Fighting Irish logo in the top four next week. And now what? Kelly will be out on the road recruiting at LSU instead of coaching for a title at Notre Dame? The Fighting Irish haven't even named an interim coach. Here's more from Dodd:
  • Dodd: "Here we are in what should be the most exciting week of the season. Instead, the conference championship games and playoff build have been hijacked by the coaches. They -- and their agents -- have set a new standard. What exactly is that standard, though?"

Top Bottom